Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Extension Ladder

I am looking at purchasing an extension ladder for my service truck. Its been a long time since I have needed one so I'm not sure what size to get to cover most applications. Do I need to go with a 28' or will a 24' cover most everything? I will primarily be doing commercial rooftop buildings.

Post Likes
    I found a Heavy Duty 32' would do every thing I was willing to climb. I guess that is the point. What are you secure with. Make sure you understand ladders. They have weight limits for each class. Heavy Duty will take up to 260 lbs. man weight. Most light duty ladders should never be sold.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Post Likes
    We always carried 32' ladders, and a 40' in the shop, but I would guess a 28' would do most. The codes are different today in that access to roofs are included in building plans here, so again I would say the 28' a good idea- but look around at what you'll be doing and see if it fits your line of work.
    A 17' ladder I have is the most used now to access the drop ext wall ladder. In fact I do little commercial work except the occasional Wally- Mart and Truck stop and they all have hatches.

This is the only one I did for 16 years and when they sold the apartments, I let it go, since getting on the roof was getting dangerous at my age. You should have seen the bow on that ladder carrying the torch or compressors up. I tied the ladder to the tailgate of the Tommy Lift.
    They paid very well though.

Post Likes
    fiberglass type 1aa for 300lbs. now mind you thats 300 when its fully extended, ive i have to fully extend any ladder, its time to go up a step or too.

i dont like alum. i just cause imma big guy 6'4 300lbs i want something pretty solid, i dont mind the extra weight when i have to set it up. 28' should be fine, but id carry a 32'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    dont think trane would approve of that pic

Post Likes
    28' is the best choice

Kevin
    Being a controls technician often reminds me of this story:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWy5sAr-WFc
    Especially when the customer complains about the bill.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I am thinking on going with the 28' to try and cover most applications. My shop will be out of the way to be going back too often to get a larger ladder but I need something that will be manageable on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    I carry a 32' with the 375 lb rating. Gets me to every roof and it is nice and strong.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    My 28' has gotten me onto every roof i've tried in the last 6 years i've had it. My co-worker used a Werner 300 lb, I bought the 250lb capacity. It's a lot lighter than the 300, especially when carrying it a distance around a building, but feels sturdy enough when I climb it loaded with tools. I weight 155lbs, so i'm never exceeding the weight limit.

Post Likes
    We carry 28' ladders on all our trucks. There is an occasional roof they do not reach then we get the 32 or 40' ladder. I struggle with the bigger ones because I am height challenged and my arms miss the balance point of the ladder. Hey Walterc, I hope the safety guy from trane does not see this post. That ladder is about 3' short.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    i carry the 28 ft. werner with the adjustable legs for un even ground.
    all my ladders are the heavy duty ones as i dont like the ladder bouncing as im climbing up or down. all extension ladders have the adjustable legs
    & step ladders get scrapped if they start getting wobbly. ive had a "few"
    broken bones over the years from using ladders that should have been retired.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    We carry 28' ladders on all our trucks. There is an occasional roof they do not reach then we get the 32 or 40' ladder. I struggle with the bigger ones because I am height challenged and my arms miss the balance point of the ladder. Hey Walterc, I hope the safety guy from trane does not see this post. That ladder is about 3' short.
    Did you notice the feet are in the Bed of the truck
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    i found out my new job gives up 24 foot 300lb ladders, how can i tell them i want a 28 foot 375lb one..
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast