Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Yes its worth it. This is the third summer since I installed mine. I was dealing with a heat pump with oil back up in south western Ohio. Im using 18% less electric and not filling a 275 gallon oil tank at least once a year at $3.85 a gallon. But as with any heating system, If its not designed and installed correctly it will not work properly.

Post Likes

help with the best heat pump system

I was thinking of getting a heat pump system for my house. Do you think I should get a closed system like the one in the picture? Is your system closed or open? I am a bit confused as to what is the best way here? Please help!!

http://cognitiveanomalies.com/what-i...disadvantages/

If you could point out the best systems for me?

Post Likes
    In the 20 years we've been doing ground source we've never installed an "open system". All are closed systems with about two thirds of them horizontal loops, and remaining drilled vertical loops. See very little difference in performance, but if space for loop is limited then must use the vertical drilled loop. We've gone to using licensed and insured "loop contractors" for the outside loop work, and we install equipment and whatever is needed in home. The loop contractor installs all outside loop, runs pipes into home and pressurizes to check for any leakage.

Very few open (pump and dump) systems are installed in our area that I know of. Mineral content in water and finding a well that will hold up to the demand is probably the reason it's not used often. You need to call an expert in your area for more information.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sugar3 View Post
    I was thinking of getting a heat pump system for my house. Do you think I should get a closed system like the one in the picture? Is your system closed or open? I am a bit confused as to what is the best way here? Please help!!

http://cognitiveanomalies.com/what-i...disadvantages/

If you could point out the best systems for me?
    Open loop on the surface often looks much better but in most cases as stated by others is not that way in a real world application. If you are brining in water you have to find out the water quality, ensure that the EPA will allow it in your area, filter the water, change water filters evey couple of months. I also only do closed loop system(my state damn near outlaws open loop because of all the regulations today.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Totally agree with Sky, at least in our area anyway (midwest USA).

Post Likes

that helped

That really helped. Thanks all.

Post Likes
    I have been dealing with geo-thermal for 4 years on a limited scale.I do hope to see the cost get into a better range. The efficiency is great I take care of a property that has 36 such systems with de superheaters.They are getting ready to look at adding about as many. The thing to keep in mind is finding a quality company to install and properly maintain system.They were having several issues dur to poor maintenance by poorly trained individual who not only did not understand a/c but also these units,
    Just so I am clear geo thermal is an excellent way to cool or heat you home

Post Likes

Question thanks

Anyone have experience with skyheating ?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Open loop on the surface often looks much better but in most cases as stated by others is not that way in a real world application. If you are brining in water you have to find out the water quality, ensure that the EPA will allow it in your area, filter the water, change water filters evey couple of months. I also only do closed loop system(my state damn near outlaws open loop because of all the regulations today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sugar3 View Post
    Anyone have experience with skyheating ?
    As in referrals? Are you in the Portland area looking for a geothermal system? I have a small referral base built up of customers who have systems installed by us and replaced by us for geothermal and of course a wide ammount of testimonials for conventional systems. Look at my youtube(link below) for customer testimonials or send me an e-mail which is listed on our website.

-Travis
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicola57 View Post
    I have had a geothermal for the last 4 years. I have reduced my electric bill by 33% and that just replacing one of my two system. The time for the system to pay for itself is 8-10 years and that's before the 30% tax credit was offered, if i had been able to utulize the tax credit it would only take 6-8 years to pay off. I have a 2 stage, 4 ton Florida Heat Pump utilizing 4 wells. It heats and cools the house just fine and I live in Anne Arundel County, MD just south of Annapolis.
    Hi,

Can you tell me who you used for your install? I live in Anne Arundel county as well and am looking for references.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    I see a lot of "northerners" here using Geo mainly for heating. How about Austin, TX? I have a 2500' house with 4 Ton A/C and Propane heat. House is only 6 years old, but cost of filling that propane tank is getting ridiculous. I know an ordinary heat pump would save money, and I'm guessing geothermal will save even more. My house backs up to a large pond (about 8' below foundation), property is not connected. Is water an issue when drilling vertical holes? Does it help or hinder efficiency? Could there be local restrictions? (I can find that out).

Post Likes
    Hi:
    They are comparing the total transport plus rate, bottom lin, Ohio is 11-12 cents, then. Is your rate5 or the total KWH as a denominator to the total billing lower-bottom line?

b)
    since 1980 80 96% of the time (est) regular 80% propane waas only annually equal to electricity for heating because of the maintenance to check and clean a gas burner, and failing components, the electric furnace never has a call for, -than "dusting-off" and same blower maintenance as any.

element failures have been rare among 30 year old electric furnaces, and if an installer looks at the element heating before ducting over the blower, a hot-spot can be improved on with a tab of sheet-metal addition where an OEM is not getting best air-over.

c) Thanks SKY ! And if we add that they are using GAS HW??? Get a quote from those making PRIORITY HW on Demand, then. Since WF mentioned above: They have options. One who patented Heat-Recovery in making HW WHILE COOLING ad the well- or loops are off-line at that time, is Hydro-Temp of AR [not to be confused with hydro-delta, hydro-heat]. A spin-off of Hot Water by "generator" or "DeSuperheater (pulling ~ 10,000 btuh or less) of HW heating is fine too, but to compare to the instant gas HW? Priority is all that will, most of the time, instant and On-Demand by temperature control.

d) I do not see above if you are well- source or loop to in-ground piping system Earth-Collector-Loop, etc.- I'll keep reading.
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... however, much still needs to be hybridized energy transfer.

CLOSED LOOP 2015 listed EER's
    even 49+ now; and "blended from low to high variable speeds" for 32deg.F ~ E-Star

Perhaps you need a 32F Chiller/HW-Heat: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier and AquasystemsInc.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Open loop on the surface often looks much better but in most cases as stated by others is not that way in

[[[ HIS "reality" ]]] a real world application...
    Having over 300 OPEN loop and 8 removed since 1981... I think it is worth realizing:
    1)
    You can not destroy water, although the quality of the source is checked first, then the quantity if there is a PLACE or A second well to use for discharge. MANY second well systems are left to dumping in ponds and ditches for over 3 decades - doing beter than a 2-well design.

IT IS CONDITIONAL and appropriate in many real-worlds to consider. There are several ways to do it right , and not just a single way.

ie) some artisan residential wells have at 5 gpm a "FUEL-TANKER-A-DAY" pouring out to a front ditch for ----ever-known... to over 100 gpm , and some with iron that is 8PPM and only leaves a translucent orange, while others with 2PPM iron have wells plugging up every 3 years (FERRIC to FERROUS and Bacterial-Iron, that slimes things up)

Like any trade: Gotta KNOW the real world. and Sky knows what I am saying in a very wet state, it is not such a wet blanket. My county is only using to 4% of its rain fall (3 to 4x's "wetter" by hydrologic's of recirculation of ground water, than the country's averages).

Many many PERFECT open loops are about 1/3 of NEOH , still being installed, with better testing following THE 1980 standards of Jeff Persons in Col, GEOSOURCE1, WF-Dealer, formerly W/TETCO in the 1980's, a hydro-geologist who kept us out of trouble.
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... however, much still needs to be hybridized energy transfer.

CLOSED LOOP 2015 listed EER's
    even 49+ now; and "blended from low to high variable speeds" for 32deg.F ~ E-Star

Perhaps you need a 32F Chiller/HW-Heat: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier and AquasystemsInc.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast