Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balystic View Post
    The key word here is "CONTRACTORS".

Contractors are not POLICE OFFICERS so, technically cannot issue tickets.

Atleast here in the states, ANYONE ISSUING A TICKET MUST BE A SWORN OFFICER.

They try to get away with it down here, but bring this up and watch how fast any problems go away.

If I see one of those cars at 10 at night, I will stop, back up, and zoom by at 100 MPH and then fight the ticket when it comes in, just to make a point.

(Source: I am a reserve police officer and got a ticket in my PATROL CAR once on my way to an MVA call. They use OCR to match the face of the driver to his license photo, and issue a ticket. The chief actually had to call the contractor to order them to "make it go away" or he'd fire the company and let vandals tear down the cameras.)

They're actually going to ban those here, within the next year or so.
    Here in Winnipeg, ACS only contracts to take / process the pictures. Winnipeg PD have one or two traffic division officers assigned to view the picture showing a violation and THEY are the ones who issue the infraction notice (if it meets the city standards) which goes to the registered owner not the driver.

Regarding the mobile photo radar vans, I can't remember if the civilian drivers have special constable status to enforce traffic laws or not, but the picture still has to get run by the PD review officers before being sent out.

This may be academic anyway, Winnipeg is one of the last cities in North America to use "wet film" in the cameras. Apparently this film is going to be stopped being produced due to low demand in the near future.

The mayor was on radio this morning saying the WPD has been waiting for over 3 years for the Manitoba Govt to approve a change to the Motor Vehicle Act to allow digital photos. If it does not get changed by Dec 31 2012 the ACS contract expires for the old style film and there will be no more red light / photo radar.

Also just as Photo / Red Light cameras came in, the Manitoba Labour Relation act was changed to allow employers to back charge a photo radar ticket to whom ever was driving the vehicle if they wanted to. Very few companies don't back charge the ticket to the staff member involved.

Post Likes
    I do work for the local FOP. Most of the guys are pretty good. Got family on the force. They tell me cops can bring a traffic charge against someone for up to a year after they say the person committed a violation., even if the person had no knowledge of the infraction when it occurred.

Post Likes
    Well GPS installed this morning. No email noticifcation all day so no speeding or doing anything wrong. One of the guys got one last night on call. Driving 60km in a school zone at 10:00pm. The sign states 40km while lights flashing. No lights flashing at 10:00pm.

Post Likes
    The city of Houston had installed red light cameras a couple years ago. A lawyer named Michael Kubash filed a lawsuit, got it put in a ballot for a vote and the city had to remove them.....good ridence
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Nonsense.

If you don't want to risk a ticket, comply with the traffic laws. Simple as that.
    John, I'm quite familiar with Sherman, TX and its proximity to the Dallas area and I'm sure you drive there on occasion. It's a mess. It's blatantly unfair to expect someone who drives 60 or 70k a year for their job to be in compliance 100% of the time. Come on down to Houston and try driving DOWNTOWN for a few days and see if you can pass muster. Sometimes its so confusing you can't even tell when there is a light or if you're in an HOV lane. That's right, HOV lanes downtown.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    The city of Houston had installed red light cameras a couple years ago. A lawyer named Michael Kubash filed a lawsuit, got it put in a ballot for a vote and the city had to remove them.....good ridence
    TT, you do know the legal battle behind all this, don't you? The cameras were voted out but a state judge overturned the decision. It's been ping pong back and forth with the cameras being on or off. As of today I believe they are on.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345