Post Likes

Trane Varitrac Comfort Manager

Our saleman looked at a job today that has a varitrac comfort manager installed in 1992. No front end. What do I have to do to access this system. He did not tell me if there were controllers on the air handlers. I am very familiar with pcmedit and upcmedit, I do have rover and summit. Do I need any of these programs to connect? Also what cable do I need? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by michael26 View Post
    Our saleman looked at a job today that has a varitrac comfort manager installed in 1992. No front end. What do I have to do to access this system. He did not tell me if there were controllers on the air handlers. I am very familiar with pcmedit and upcmedit, I do have rover and summit. Do I need any of these programs to connect? Also what cable do I need? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    you need hyperterminal and the same cable as the PCM. The baud rate is settable so you may need to try 1200 or 2400. maybe even 9600. you need to have caps lock on and it uses letters such as M for menu S for select etc..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by #1servicetech View Post
    you need hyperterminal and the same cable as the PCM. The baud rate is settable so you may need to try 1200 or 2400. maybe even 9600. you need to have caps lock on and it uses letters such as M for menu S for select etc..
    Once you're in you'll see the interface is similar to Tracer 100. All simple text, can be a little aggravating to move around and locate settings, status, ...

Post Likes
    So is there a software available for this older stuff that would make it easier than using hyperterminal? Is this controller programmable to operations and logic? If there is software for this older version does someone have a part number. thanks

Post Likes
    Also is this similar to "Tracker" and would it be the same software?

Post Likes
    BMN is the software I use to access the older comfort managers

Post Likes
    So is there a software available for this older stuff that would make it easier than using hyperterminal? Is this controller programmable to operations and logic? If there is software for this older version does someone have a part number. thanks
    I always used hyperterminal myself for comfort managers. you can't really use logic programming for a comfort manager. it is pretty much canned programming. you can only set parameters such as vav max, mins, etc...

Post Likes
    Also is this similar to "Tracker" and would it be the same software?
    It depends o n which version of tracker you are talking about. the older versions used hyperterminal. the newer versions use a tracker program to communicate. the tracker program would not work on a comfort manager.

Post Likes
    Well I am heading to the job tomorrow hopefully I can get hyperterminal to work out. thanks

Post Likes

I just did one...

I just had to get into an old VariTrac the other day.

I can't remember the last time that I actually connected to something at 1200 baud, but I had to in order to get into there.

I used PuTTY (I'm not much of a hyperterm fan) and logged everything to disk too, so I have a record of the current configuration.

Lots of using the letters S,L and M....

Code:
      VariTrac VAV Comfort Manager V2.0: 
       1) UCM Status/Setup 
       2) System Status/Setup 

Type number, press "S" to select 2
      System Status/Setup Menu: 
       1) System Status 
       2) System Setup 
       3) TRACER Control Summary 
       4) Service Summary

Post Likes
    I don't even know if I could still do that. About all I remember is how to navigate the menu, and "9M" will take you all the way back to the top of the menu.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the assistance this worked out great.

Post Likes
    Hi
    Do you have the document for old Veritrac , dcca-IOP-2?
    I have to connect to this older system this week and my trane dealer said the document was no longer availble.

Thanks