Post Likes

Frown

what do you guys use to clean your outside metal window
    flashing with ? i tried dish soap and a brush and the dirt
    just laughed at it thanks

Post Likes
    wrong site.

Cleaning Aluminum

I have several inexpensive white metal (I believe they are aluminum) screen doors that I have been unable to completely clean with ordinary household cleaners. I can remove some of the greasy grime, dirt, and scuff marks, but I can't seem to get the white metal on any of these screen doors totally clean. Can the readers recommend any specific products or methods to really clean up these doors?
    Victoria

Diesel Fuel May Work

Diesel fuel works extremely well for applications like this (and the price is right at about $1.50/gallon). It's a powerful solvent. It's almost as good as regular gasoline, but much less flammable, so there's very little fire hazard. Be certain not to use it indoors or in poorly ventilated areas. Get a scrub pad, dip it in the diesel, and wipe down the areas you want to clean. You shouldn't have to scrub much, if at all. Rinse with plenty of water immediately. If left on for extended periods of time, it will begin to eat the white paint.

If you have an aversion to using diesel, mineral spirits will work too. However, you'll have to use a lot more elbow grease.
    Andrew

Toothpaste Tidbit

Try using whitening toothpaste, such as Colgate Whitening with Baking Soda and Peroxide. It clings well, is mildly abrasive, and takes out stains. It worked wonders on an old white stove I had that was grease-stained and scuffed. Apply with a dry paper towel and rub in circles.
    Connie

Just Spray and Wipe

We have found that black streak remover works quite well for cleaning aluminum. We use it on our eaves trough and on the aluminum siding on our travel trailer. I don't know the brand we use, but we purchased it at Canadian Tire. It is a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. Just spray and wipe.
    Diane

Works Like a Miracle!

I learned this lesson when I had to try and get old shower enclosures clean at some apartments. It worked like a miracle! Mix baking soda with chlorine bleach, adding approximately equal amounts. You'll want a thick paste that is still somewhat wet. Use a plastic knife or your fingers, covered with a rubber glove, to totally cover the aluminum and caulk. Let it sit for several hours (overnight is fine). Spray off with clear water, and scrub with a toothbrush if needed.
    Kamia

Go Grease Lightning

I got this tip from The Dollar Stretcher. Go to Wal-Mart and buy some Grease Lightening. It's with the other cleaning products. This stuff is great! I use it everywhere. It can handle all the problems you mentioned.
    Jamie

This Stuff is Awesome!

I came upon a product at the dollar store that cleans everything! It is called "Awesome," and it lives up to its name. I have not found anything it cannot clean. Try it if you can find it. I know you will love it!
    Lori

Try Bar Keeper's Friend

I use a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. I bought it originally to clean my stainless steel sinks. It works great on aluminum too.
    Pat

Whitewall Cleaner May Work on Door

Bleech White brand whitewall cleaner for tires works very well. It's available at most auto parts stores and sometimes at Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
    Jeanine

Visit a Truck Stop

Go to a truck stop and look for a cleaning compound that truckers use to polish the aluminum wheels and fuel tanks on their big rigs.
    David

And:

Cleaning Aluminum

The finish on the frames surrounding our 30-year-old storm doors has become dull and pitted. Is there a way to clean and polish them?

A FAITHFUL READER GRAND RAPIDS, MN

In all probability, the frames on your storm doors are fabricated with aluminum that has an anodized finish. An anodized finish is a glasslike oxide coating produced by an electrochemical treatment. The finish can be anywhere from .05 mils to 1.5 mils thick (1 mil is .001 of an inch).

Anodized surfaces are durable and weather-resistant but they will weather over the years. Once the finish has become dull and darkened, it is difficult to bring back the shine. To some extent, the abrasive cleaners available through your local supermarket will clean and restore weathered anodized aluminum, but they cannot level pitted areas. And although an anodized surface is tough, it can be damaged and even removed by vigorously applying an abrasive cleaner. When working with them it's important to follow the directions on the container and to test the product on a less-visible area first. Furthermore, it would be best to try a gentle cleaner, such as Bon Ami, before proceeding to one that is more aggressive. Also, try using a soft cloth in the initial cleaning process, as opposed to using a plastic abrasive pad. Don't use a steel wool pad. These pads may embed small steel particles in the aluminum. Although the finish will look fine at first, over time the steel particles will react with the aluminum and cause additional corrosion and discoloration.

After the door frame is clean and dry, you can provide protection by applying a coat of any kind of wax that is free of abrasives and cleaners.

Post Likes
    mikej thanks for the info dude lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Post Likes
    Diesel fuel $1.50 gal? What year was that?
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes
    Black streak remover sold at rv stores or at wallmart in the rv dept. this stuff really works great and is easy to use just spray and wipe

Post Likes
    Just remember, clean aluminum is different than polished aluminum. Clean aluminum might have white spots on it,it's still clean. Might want to finish your work with an aluminum polish.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Be careful in cleaning those. Sometimes its better to just contact professionals to clean or repair the glass parts of the house like shower screen repairs.

Post Likes
    I use “Amaze” Glass cleaner on my Shower Doors and Glass. It’s a mild abrasive that takes the hard water spots off. You can buy it on Amazon, or your local glass shop $$$ should have it. Make sure you get the White Scrub Pad with it. I cut the pad in half. Great for Auto Glass too, and for Restoration. Mild enough you don’t need gloves. BTW RainX is your friend, to slow down the spotting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyheathers View Post
    Be careful in cleaning those. Sometimes its better to just contact professionals to clean or repair the glass parts of the house like shower screen repairs.
    Wow! You responded to a thread from 14 years ago! I wonder if they’re still alive. What brought you to it?
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."