Post Likes

Comm problem-jace 6 and Alerton VLC's

I have a customer that did a shut-down and tighten up over the weekend and when they restored power to the building all of the VLC's on com2 (6 total) lost comm, all of the VLC's on com3 (6 total) are working fine.

The six controllers that do not talk to have power and the LED's are lit. The comm LED has two short flashes, one flash when i disconnect the comm link.

I've tried re-booting the jace through software and powering it down, powering down the controllers, enabling and disabling the comm port, and changing the network device numbers and changing them back.

There is also no comm in Envision.

Everything was fine before the shut-down and tighten-up and i did back-ups the day before.

Any ideas?

i'm actually at the site now if anyone has something quick i can try.

Thanks
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Post Likes
    Also tried re-booting with all the comm links removed and reinstalling after the station was running, still no luck.

Workstation is running Workbench version 3.3.22

Post Likes
    may be swap out the wires on com2 and com3 to eliminate the com ports at least. Try to see if you can define any of the VLCs on com2 on com3 after you swap the wires, then if it talks you know comm wiring is good and it most likely is com2 itself.

Post Likes
    But what can I do to get com2 back online? I've tried all that I can think of.

Post Likes
    what I am saying is that may be com2's hardware is zapped/kaput. This test will at least tell you that. If the hardware is good and com2 can talk to the other link's controllers, then your original non-talking link has wiring issues somewhere.
    good luck.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help.

Either comm2 is deactivated/locked out somehow or it's dead. I switched (wiring) and reprogrammed everything that was on comm2 to comm4 and all is well. I'm still wondering how a power shutdown could cause comm2 to fail.