Thread: 1st year accomplisments.

Post Likes
    I graduated from a expensive trade school to whom I will be payin for years and years about 12 months ago.

I have been a board member hear for about that long and have seen the level of work I want to be at.

I have had a few waste of time slave labor reserved for mexican jobs as entry level and wonder am I accomplishing my craft at the proper pace.

I figure the first year is for buying a bunch of hand tools and mostly learning about unit locations and designs in pm.

I have been let go from a few jobs one from not being polish and from another from not speaking spanish.

I figure getting the tools and learining pm is first year stuff?

Is there more for a first year guy.

Every where I go someone is working because of brother inlaw and no one went to school. And the guys who did go to school and are old school only want to teach a guy from there country.

Post Likes
    Take the entry level "Mexican" Job. BTW I’ve have two Hispanics and one Puerto Rican that are the best in the business and I can speak just a bit of Spanish. Learn Spanish, it is the third most spoken language in the world, behind English and Chinese.

Post Likes
    just my opinion but if I lived in there country I would expect to learn there lang. why do I need to learn it if they are living in mine. I have no problem of other nationality living here as long as its legal but they should be required to learn our english not me learning theres ( when in rome do as the romans)
    i CAN spell i just cant type

Post Likes
    The most important thing by a long shot above anything else in this industry is in order to succeed you have to have the right atitude. It sounds to me like you do. If you have the right atitude, meaning the atitude to learn as much as you can and never stop learning, you will have no problem in this trade. As long as you have the troubleshooting type mentality and a mechanical aptitude you will succeed. You can't remember everything you are taught and although it can be an advantage to know everything right off the top of your head, its just as important to know the right place to look for the information you need on the job. Books, etc. Good luck to you and continue to get as much training and licences as possible.

Post Likes
    Get over yourself. You aren't that valuable to an employeer right now. Take your lumps, grab every menial job you can for the experience and lose the attitude directed at other nationalities.

Post Likes
    I have to agree on most of the postings, NATIONALITY has nothing to do with it, its what ya know and what ya can learn, IE class or field, Start off small and know you can make it big by the experience you get, ya cant larn it over night or in a class, a class can only teach you basics not every TERM for whats wrong, learn and use it, no matter what language you speak

Post Likes
    I don't give a crap if you're black white asian hispanic eskimo or from Florida, a good tech is a good tech and is not easy to come by. Used to work with a guy named Ramon, he was from mexico and was the best tech at the company. Got paid more, had a nicer truck, all anybody cared about was whether or not he was skilled at his job. Although we used to have an old lady who called and asked for that nice Hawaiian man Raymond to come to her house. Other than that lady he had no other problems that I knew of.

Post Likes
    I am hispanic but dont speak spanish I worked at a company where no one went to school. All day i was ignored becuase I wasnt speaking spanish the owner got rid of me.

The polish thing was where the service manager was hiring people from his country talking all day in polish and no one went to school. The day I was let go there were two new polish guys there.

I dont really have hostilty directed at nationalitys its just that these things happen to me and I have noticed that alot of illegals are holding jobs that people went to school for and have school loans for and will be prefered over me because of the legalized slave labor mentality of some employers.

I made $10 $12hr as a security guard. As entry level hvac worker the secretary makes more then me and I have to work like 3 years before I will be at income of security guard.

[Edited by jtpnyc on 03-22-2006 at 06:34 AM]

Post Likes
    jtpnyc

Did you go to any schooling for HVAC?

Post Likes
    It's interesting to hear how the job market is in other parts of the country. Where I am, employers are doing whatever they can to get anyone. Techs, helpers, whatever.
    They're having a job fair at the tech where I went to school in a week or so where over 30 companies will have representitives there trying to lure potential employees.
    When I hear someone say they can't find a job in this trade, I raise my eyebrows right away because all I know is how it is around here. Is it that bad for this trade in other parts?

Post Likes
    Its not very hard to find a job around new york its just I expect to be working with other tech school grads and it seems alot of places have people who doent speak 3 words in english.

Yes I went to school and have a big student loan to pay. When I go to interview as entrylevel I am offered $8hr take it or leave it. We can always train a guy who didnt go to school.

Post Likes
    Upstate New York, or New York City?

Post Likes

Talking jtpnyc

how about a company over in LIC that is 75% INDIANS and i don't mean the ones that did in Custer!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jtpnyc
    Its not very hard to find a job around new york its just I expect to be working with other tech school grads and it seems alot of places have people who doent speak 3 words in english.

Yes I went to school and have a big student loan to pay. When I go to interview as entrylevel I am offered $8hr take it or leave it. We can always train a guy who didnt go to school.

I would take the 8 bucks then. Your pay will skyrocket in the upcomming years as you gain experience. I understand you have a big loan to pay off but you gotta put your time in and pay your dues as a helper.

Post Likes
    You have to pay back student loans?....

Post Likes
    Call your instructors back at the tech. school, see if they can recommend any good prospective employers, since you have graduated, it shouldn't be any conflict of interest. Good luck,
    "could be a law...don't know. James Gregory