PDA

View Full Version : Two Door True Reachin Freezer

vzenuh
10-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Long story short,,, I get the call to check out this True freezer. I was told to contact tech support with my diagnosis and deal with them since this was going to be a warranty issue.

The box is only pulling down to 5 degrees and cycles off even with the thermo maxed out. Here is where I get thrown for a loop since this is the first one I seen do this on purpose. When the unit cycles off,,, the fans shut off too. I take a look at the wiring diagram to see whats going on and see that the wiring diagram shows that this will happen too. I had 30 mins to ponder why they would do this while I was on hold for tech support.

Spoke with tech support on this issue and he said, "Yes,,, true designed the box to to that" He didn't agree with that personally and he told me he has instructed techs to piggy back off the thermostat to keep the fans running.

The only thing I can think of for this,,,,Energy savings?

I think that the fans running will keep a more consistent box temp. But I am sure some engineer has calculated the energy savings over an entire year just by shutting off the fans.

lynn comstock
10-07-2011, 07:52 PM
...The only thing I can think of for this,,,,Energy savings?

I think that the fans running will keep a more consistent box temp. But I am sure some engineer has calculated the energy savings over an entire year just by shutting off the fans.That is certainly possible. Who knows the mind of an ingineer:D?

The location and design of the temperature control could be a factor. If the design minimized the number and severity of temperature cycles, the product quality would hold up better. This quality issue is especially obvious with ice cream.

trippintl0
10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I just worked on a True reach-in-freezer that did that too. The one I worked on had an LAE brand AR2-28 electronic controller. It was having issues with evaporator freezing up towards back. Spoke to True and they had me change defrost settings to every 6 hrs (rather than programmed defrost times), add up to 5 minutes of fan delay after defrost, and change the setting of evaporator fan timer so the fans do not cycle off with the compressor. We'll see how it works.

I have worked on TUC model true undercounter coolers that also cycle off evaporator fan with compressor... makes for a long off-cycle when that coil sensing t-stat is waiting for the coil to get to 36.5*F or whatever True likes it at, when there is no fan bringing heat across the coil. That one got re-wired by somebody.. (out of warranty)

*edit* Also side note about True Tech support - I have found that they typically answer pretty quickly, like 5 minutes, 10 max. And in my experience they always give really good information and are very smart. I have spoken to Rich and Jerry (sp?) and both seem to be on top of their game and always help me a lot even on non-warranty issues.

Snapperhead
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Long story short,,, I get the call to check out this True freezer. I was told to contact tech support with my diagnosis and deal with them since this was going to be a warranty issue.

The box is only pulling down to 5 degrees and cycles off even with the thermo maxed out. So was the t-stat bad ?

2sac
10-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Silver King does the same. Kills the evap fans when the stat is satisfied. SK says it's for energy savings. Hoshizaki has it on their prep tables depending on demand. You have the option of running the fans 24/7 or an option of them cycling on and off.

vzenuh
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
So was the t-stat bad ?

Yes, according to true, they are using discharge air temp on that box. It should cycle off at -15 degress with the tstat set at the number five position.

Matter of fact, still waiting on them to send the tstat. Seems that as of late, they are really slowing down getting parts to us.

itsiceman
10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I've seen it on coolers and freezers too and I just wire the fans to run but why does it build up the extra ice without the fans during an off cycle?

Will more moisture stick to the coil because there is no air movement or does some of the ice sublimate off during an off cycle with the fans running.

Was thinking about this after seeing the KE2 Evap. Control where they cycle the fans off and on during an off cycle.

I guess from what they say the KE2 control takes advantage of both saving energy by not running the fans all the time but also uses the free cooling effect of the sublimation when it turns the fans back on.

Is that right?

itsiceman
10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Worked on a few units that ran the evep fans half speed during the off cycle.
Seemed to work good.

Total Com
10-13-2011, 12:12 AM
I just worked on a True reach-in-freezer that did that too. The one I worked on had an LAE brand AR2-28 electronic controller. It was having issues with evaporator freezing up towards back. Spoke to True and they had me change defrost settings to every 6 hrs (rather than programmed defrost times), add up to 5 minutes of fan delay after defrost, and change the setting of evaporator fan timer so the fans do not cycle off with the compressor. We'll see how it works.

I have worked on TUC model true undercounter coolers that also cycle off evaporator fan with compressor... makes for a long off-cycle when that coil sensing t-stat is waiting for the coil to get to 36.5*F or whatever True likes it at, when there is no fan bringing heat across the coil. That one got re-wired by somebody.. (out of warranty)

*edit* Also side note about True Tech support - I have found that they typically answer pretty quickly, like 5 minutes, 10 max. And in my experience they always give really good information and are very smart. I have spoken to Rich and Jerry (sp?) and both seem to be on top of their game and always help me a lot even on non-warranty issues.

We try to do our best here lately it has been busy On the fans cycling it is an energy thing DOE department of energy.
You will have some wide swings on air temp in the case as long as the control is cutting in and out were it should you will maintain the right product temp 33 to 38 degrees product temp you can wire the fans on the load side of control The lae you can program in control Thanks Todd