PDA

View Full Version : Can frig be made into high humidity cooler

Junglebob
10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I need a cooler to store eggs in for a small farm. I have 2 household frost free refrigerators, but the ideal humidity is supposed to be 75%, and temperature 40 to 45 %, for egg storage, I don't need an expensive stainless steel cooler. Is there a way to get the humidity up on the refrigerators, both have a top freezer. I expect a commercial cooler could reach the higher humidity needed.

icemeister
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Domestic, frost-free refrigerators run at at about 20% RH. The main reason for this is the refrigerator side is actually cooled with air diverted from the freezer side.

Although they're plentiful and cheap, they're not a good choice for your needs.

A better solution might be a wine cooler. They're designed for higher humidities and will run in the temperature range you want.

Junglebob
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Domestic, frost-free refrigerators run at at about 20% RH. The main reason for this is the refrigerator side is actually cooled with air diverted from the freezer side.

Although they're plentiful and cheap, they're not a good choice for your needs.

A better solution might be a wine cooler. They're designed for higher humidities and will run in the temperature range you want.

Would a soda cooler or commercial cooler for a restaurant also have that high a humidity capability? I have seen some soda coolers for sale. Does a walk in cooler have that humidity capability? The smallest I have seen advertized is 6 ft.x6 ft. which is bigger than I need.

icemeister
10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
A commercial reach-in cooler will run a much higher RH, but rather than a standard cooler designed for soda or beer, I suggest a floral cooler. They are modified to hold higher humidities.

They won't be as easy to find used, but they're out there.

However, a good commercial refrigeration tech should be able to modify a standard cooler for you...if he knows what he's doing. ;)

Junglebob
10-05-2011, 09:22 PM
So I guess my best choices would be a floral or wine cooler or get a soda or beer cooler and find someone who knows their stuff to modify it.

Thanks for your advice. I guess I'll be looking for a floral or wine cooler.

Junglebob
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Are there any brands of coolers to stay away from?

Any brands you'd suggest?

kim
10-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Try putting a pan in the bottom of a standard cooler to drain the evap into. It needs to have an overflow to drain the extra water out of the box.

If that does not work a small 220V condensate evap box on 120V will run the humidity up.