PDA

View Full Version : leak detection

koolerdude
09-25-2011, 02:20 AM
I got a call to check out a soda fountain unit, it is water-cool evap, force air condensing unit. I got the sniffer out checking for leak and this sniffer beep like crazy when i place the nozzle above the water tank resevoir where evap is submerged into. this refrigeration unit is still in factory seal condition and i have no piecing valve to tap into the system for pressure check. i picked up this unit out from it casing to check for leak with soap bubble but found not a sign of leakage; all conections are fine. this refrigeration unit is on top of the counter, higher than any other cooler or icemachine. so i assume that this unit is leaking freon. my question is how hard is it to find leak like this?

ararams
09-25-2011, 08:36 AM
The evaporator is already submerge in water,why not look for a stream of bubbles.

referpipe
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Had a beer chiller like that, spent a few hours looking for leak.. depending on where the leak is and age of unit cheaper for new unit.. same thing had it out of the sump.. come to find out they discontinued it and now has a cold plate much better... way less glycol and much less runtime... happy customer that now has a warranty.

koolerdude
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
The evaporator is already submerge in water,why not look for a stream of bubbles.

well, when this system to be seated back on top of the brine-solution container, there is no room to look. It might be small leak. Refrigerant is heavier than air, not sure how long it will stay in this tank above the brine solution.

Andrew brien
10-18-2011, 09:22 AM
The system is seated back on top with evaporter is already submerge in water as the steam of bubbles lead the way to find out where is the leak.