PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ YCAJ66XT8-46PB

smg614
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Having problems w/ low suction pressure. Currently adding R-22 to see if that helps. Once a month have to bleed off water system of (air) pressure, got a feeling it's refrigerant. and fill w/ water. I'm trained in residential, but working for someone that has this unit, so I'm the guy they look to for a/c problems. Need to know the tons of this system and also if there is an aftermarket or reconditioned exchanger tank available. Any information would be very helpful.

basprofessional
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I assume this is a chiller? What is the history of this unit and does it have a flow switch? The evaporator tubes maybe crushed and leaking refrigerant into the water.There are three indicators to look for assuming the chiller barrel is the type with water flowing around the refrigerant pipes. One indicator to check for is if the suction pressure is low and the super heat is low. Second, check the chiller barrels approach temp. The approach temp is the leaving water temp of the chiller barrel and the saturated refrigerant temp in the evaporator. For example, if you have a unit with R-22 and a suction pressure of 60 PSI the saturated temp is about 40 degrees. If the chillers leaving water temp is 50 degress then the approach will be 10 degress. If the tubes are crushed the approach temp will be much higher, around 20 to 30 degress. The typical approach temp on a TXV system will be 5 to 10 degrees. However, it can be lower if the system has an EXV.