PDA

View Full Version : Hot Shot

sandpipertech
08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Without starting a war...
I know many techs dont think Hot Shot should be used as a drop in for systems using refrigerants like 134a. But what is the reasoning behind doing so.
I had an issue with a reach in cooler and the guy at the supply house strongly suggested using Hot Shot as a replacement and even said that True recommended using it on some of their reach in coolers years ago that weren't maintaining temp.
Also when charging, is generally 80 percent of the factory charge USUALLy sufficient? Has anyone ever had to add exactly the same amount as is called for when using 134a?

bacciagalupe
08-24-2011, 08:14 PM
why not just use 134a refrigerant ? i have heard that copeland donet like it

sandpipertech
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Haha...
I knew I'd get an answer like that, and i do appreciate it.
BUT
Why do SOME people feel like using hot shot in place of 12 or 134a is a better option. I'm not saying it is....but what is their reasoning...

bacciagalupe
08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Haha...
I knew I'd get an answer like that, and i do appreciate it.
BUT
Why do SOME people feel like using hot shot in place of 12 or 134a is a better option. I'm not saying it is....but what is their reasoning...

i use 409 or mp39 for a replacement for r 12 never use 134 as a replacement for r12

smilies
08-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I have a can of Hot Shot riding around in the back. That's all it does. I think I'll get rid of it when we change shops.

In the last Copeland COSS class I was in, the rep said they do not approve or disapprove of refrigerants. If member basser is still around he can chime in.

Paul Bee
08-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Hotshot has R22 in it. Higher head pressure than R12 or 134a. Also it moves heat faster. The small amount of hydrocarbons help with oil return to the compressor. Most techs do not like the glide and higher head pressure. Do a search! there are plenty of threads about this subject.

MeŠiC
08-25-2011, 11:36 AM
In the last Copeland COSS class I was in, the rep said they do not approve or disapprove of refrigerants. If member basser is still around he can chime in.

That rep and my Copeland rep are on two different pages. My rep insisted using Hot Shot would void any warranty.

antiquepicker62
09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I've used hot shot for years. And my experience has been pretty much positive. Its cheaper than 409a and I had a cooler with a bad cap tube. Kept clogging up 134a. I changed it out and used hot shot and had no more trouble........... Good luck

AZreferguy
09-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I've used hot shot for years. And my experience has been pretty much positive. Its cheaper than 409a and I had a cooler with a bad cap tube. Kept clogging up 134a. I changed it out and used hot shot and had no more trouble........... Good luck

I have the same experience with hot shot. I only use it on small coolers and it has kept many cap tubes from clogging.

hvacpope
09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I have also had good luck using "hot shot" as a mid-temp replacement for r12 although never as 134a substitute, the issues with cap tubes plugging up are related to the solvent nature of POE oil, dont think changing refrigerants alone would make a difference. around here hot shot sells for twice as much $$$ compared to 134a, I wouldn't replace a cheaper, single compound ready available refrigerant with a zeotropic blend.

VTP99
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I have also had good luck using "hot shot" as a mid-temp replacement for r12 although never as 134a substitute, the issues with cap tubes plugging up are related to the solvent nature of POE oil, dont think changing refrigerants alone would make a difference. around here hot shot sells for twice as much $$$ compared to 134a, I wouldn't replace a cheaper, single compound ready available refrigerant with a zeotropic blend.

:ditto: Hotshot has it's place but this would not be one of them. ;)

ARoss
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
No takers for R416a?

I find this to be a good drop in as it runs a bit lower discharge pressure than most others... and have had no component failures related to the change in the last few years.

koolerdude
09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
i used hot shot once to replace R-12 med reach in cooler. i vac out the R12 N weight in hot shot to about 85 % or so of R-12. Hi pressure shot up the roof and the discharge temperature is freaking hot, man. overall, it works really good.

Wheelbaron
09-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Ive been using MP39 for years (401-A). I mostly use it for r12 replacement, but have used it in problem boxes with 134A.. Dual cap tubes and 134A are bad, as we all know hot day and 134a tends to clog cap tubes, on a dual cap tube its much worse. I have not used Hot Shot, heard bad things, but have no personal experience, but I may buy some soon as MP39 is getting very pricy!