PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool Domestic Refrigerator

R123
08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I have a Whirlpool domestic side by side refrigerator M#PSS26LSRE SS S#MH431302 that intermittently quits cooling about once every 2 or 3 weeks. I suspect that it is a defrost problem as all the fans are working and it cools well the rest of the time. I checked out the defrost heater and it is good. The refrigerator has an electronic control module with thermistors to input temps. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the board? Can I force it into defrost? Any help is much appreciated.

oldfart
08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Usually there is a tech sheet some where on or in the unit. Pull the toe panel and check with flashlight and mirror, it should be under there. I just had a problem with my 3 year old Whirlpool Gold, had to replace the temp module. Wouldn't always defrost. If I remember correctly open door toggle light sw 3 or 4 times, then press temp setting. If you get it wrong, just close the door and start over. The temp module runs about $90.00 depending where you get it.

R123
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info oldfart. I did find the tech sheet and it had the wiring diagram and thermister resistance but didn't tell how to force into defrost. I will try the door switch like you said. The thermisters ohmed out good so im thinking the control module is whacked out.

jim147
08-17-2011, 11:59 PM
That's a GE unit not a Whirlpool. Check all of the thermistors at the board. The evaporator one is know to get moisture in it and tells the board it doesn't need to defrost.

There have also been tons of board problems with those models. You can only jump power at the board to test the defrost heater and DTT. It doesn't check the board relay or thermistor during the test.

jim

R123
08-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Jim, your right, it's a GE. My bad. I checked the thermistors and their good. I went ahead and changed the board as I also found out GE had a problem with those boards. Also, ever since the unit was new, the Turbo Cool indicator light was always lit up. With the new board, the Turbo Cool seems to be working properly and the light illuminates only when I press the button. Thanks for your help.