PDA

View Full Version : ge hybrid water heater

mahlv
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I was able to install one of these a while back and ended up having a bunch of issues with the heat pump side of the unit and GE sent out a new one and had me 'field dispose' the defective one. I think there were problems starting from our distributor laying the water heater on it's side for 8 hrs and running the oil out of the compressor and plugging off the coil wrapped around the tank. Havent torn into the thing yet, but am getting caught up where I can. I imagine this would be a common problem with refrigerators and freezers being exposed to laying down, so I am thinking of recovering the refrigerant out of it, nitrogen purging all the coils and tubing, evac, and recharge. Any other suggestions?
thanks

trouble time
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I was going to put one of those units in a customers house and changed my mind at the last moment. I did not feel I had the right square footage in the basement to run the system properly...1000 square feet I do believe.
Keep us informed.

mahlv
08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
that sounds like plenty of area, especially if there is any source of heat down there. the replacement unit they sent out is working great, it is installed in a mechanical room that stays around 80 deg and is about 200 sq. ft. i am interested in fixing the unit that was 'field disposed' and using it in my own home, or using it for trade with my taxidermy buddy.

trouble time
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
that sounds like plenty of area, especially if there is any source of heat down there. the replacement unit they sent out is working great, it is installed in a mechanical room that stays around 80 deg and is about 200 sq. ft. i am interested in fixing the unit that was 'field disposed' and using it in my own home, or using it for trade with my taxidermy buddy.

Sorry about that I was not clear. I did not have 1000 sq feet. I only had around 500. Cold room at the best of time. There were other consideration. Dollars ect..

mahlv
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
i guess this may not be the correct forum for this question, but what I was hoping to get some insight on is if a fridge or freezer is laid on it's back or side for a long time and plugged the closed system with the oil that ran out of the compressor, am i wasting time to try to fix this thing? it has limits to protect the compressor from overloading or running out of charge, so I think all the components are ok, just the restriction is what may be the issue. Thanks for any advice

mseng
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
You can lay them on there side for as long as you like just as long as you set them up without plugging them in for 24 hours.

mahlv
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
yeah, tried that. had the same thing happen when we bought a freezer from sears, the salesman told us that same bit of advice. no bueno

afbryanwv
01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
I have been working on quite a few of those lately. Those seem to be developing evaporator leaks, so just be prepared that may be an issue later on down the road. I'm not an expert on them by any means, but I do have access to a 100 page tech manual on my work computer if you need me to look something up. I have to be at work though to login and I need a model number. My GE training software says the room must be at least 10' x 10' x 7' or larger(700 cubic feet). If smaller it says to use a louvered door. I will says I have seen those units in much smaller rooms than that >.<

SBKold
02-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I just did my first evap replacement today.

Does anyone know why they sent a new fan shroud? It would have been a pita to change and it looked identical to oldone so I didn't.

afbryanwv
02-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I just did my first evap replacement today.

Does anyone know why they sent a new fan shroud? It would have been a pita to change and it looked identical to oldone so I didn't.

I don't know why they send the shroud. I never put it on either because it isn't any different. I just put that extra foam piece on top of the evap before I put the shroud on. I had a customer kept asking me if I changed that shroud too lol.