PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying agent arrangements

Reliant Air
06-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Hello,

I am a mechanical designer in Tallahassee and I hold a registered class B A/C license. I was approached by a former coworker that wants me to be a qualifying agent for his company. Has anyone in here had any experience with this kind of arrangement, and how would I determine a fair fee for this?

Thanks

David

dash
06-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Be very careful,check myflorida.com to read about responsibilites that it can bring you.

If you do it be sure ,he ,becomes the financial qualifier for the company.

thehumid1
06-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Well his business cant exist without the license best arrangement for you is to take 5% of his gross sales. It's all relative in the long run it would be cheaper for him to just take the test. It's probably now close to 4 grand to get licensed in Florida including the books and course so I would at least multiply by two if I was gonna flat rate him per year. But remember you are ultimately liable if he disappears with a bunch of HO's money it's your license that will be suspended and you who will be required to pay restitution to them. Or you could arrange a percentage on a per job basis where he uses your license only when he needs to pull permits and you go down and pull the permits yourself that gives you a little more control than if you just qualify his company and he pulls permits right and left under your license.

Reliant Air
06-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Dash,

I am concerned about the liability and I was already planning on listing him as the financial officer. I do feel comfortable with this guy. If I would do this for anyone it would be him.

thehumid1,

5% of gross sales was in the range of what I was thinking. I don't think that I would want to do it on a job by job basis because I would be concerned that he would do service work without me knowing.