PDA

View Full Version : DONATIONS for Chucko615, who lost a son

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Tragedy has struck our HVAC-Talk community. Please see this page http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/chuck.php and
this thread http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=51407

don

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 02:57 PM
HVAC-Talk members: should I post a reply on here every now and then over the next while to show a running total of the money we have raised for chucko615?

I think that would be a good thing to do, but I would like to get a few opinions on it from you folks first.

It would also help keep this thread up at the top.

I vote YES!

Roscoe
05-06-2004, 03:06 PM
yes

bootlen
05-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes!

Diceman
05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
I think the money should go to a teen suicide prevention center in Chucks name.

James 3528
05-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Diceman
I think the money should go to a teen suicide prevention center in Chucks name.

I think it would be really cool at a time like this since Chuck lost his son, has a funeral to pay for, can not live at home, is not working and we don't know his financial circumstances that we let him decide on what to do with the money. At least he can do that with the money I gave him.

Green Mountain
05-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Amen, James. I agree.

bigbird
05-06-2004, 07:05 PM
I to agree with james.

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Okay, so far we have raised $425 for Charles Burnett (chucko615)!!! We actually have not had too many donors yet but they have been generous ones. This money will go directly to Charles.

Okay fellows, we all know that there is little we can do to help chucko, however, helping him with the financial burden is something we can all do. Just work a couple extra hours or skip a little entertainment, what ever you have to do. Let's show that we really are a community.

Please click here to Make a One Time Donation for Chuck and his family (http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/chuck.php)

don

rob10
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
I agree also with James.

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by rob10
I agree also with James.

That part doesn't matter guys. If someone wants to make a donation in Gavins name to a teen suicide prevention organization, that is fine, that is a good idea too.

But ... the money we are raising here on HVAC-Talk goes directly to Charles to help him in the only concrete way that I know how to do.

The fact remains, a terrible tragedy has occurred to one of our members.

So, we often talk about being a community, let's walk the talk :D

don

You can make a One Time donation right here (http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/chuck.php)

lakeerie
05-06-2004, 08:10 PM
After seeing this I signed up with pay pal and they say that 2 small deposits have to be made into my account first, Don Can I send cash to you and you handle this for me? I dont know how long pay pal will take. I will not put a c-c on a computer.

freezone
05-06-2004, 08:16 PM
if everyone would give $2.00 that would cover a really nice funeral. If you haven't had to pay for one lately that figure comes real close. I have two boys of my own and I cannot imagine. My grandfather shot himself and that was hard enough. Time to help guys and count your blessings.

Diceman
05-06-2004, 08:23 PM
I am not trying to take away from money Chuck might need, all I know is one of my kids died I wouldn't really care if I got a check in the mail, that's all. It's up to Chuck.

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Okay, we are up to $585 at 9:20 p.m. The PayPal donation page will be closed after a couple of days, so NOW is the time!

don

itsamine
05-06-2004, 10:38 PM
It will be done tomorrow if not through pay pal than through you boss either wat it will be done.

Diceman
05-06-2004, 10:49 PM
I was hoping it wasn't true, so sad, really.
I will always remember this incident.

Don Sleeth
05-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Okay, almost 11 o'clock and we are up to $675 in donations for chucko615 and family. Good going guys! I will only keep this going a few days, maybe end it Monday night when the auction ends. Please don't send money to me, just use the PayPal thing. Of course you can always mail a check or cash directly to Charles.

For these donations through PayPal, I will enclose a list of donaters, donation a nice letter and a check to chuck when we wrap this up.

I'm sure this will come in pretty darn handy to Charles, I will ask that he gets something pretty special for Gavin's sister with part of it.

Thanks guys

don

bmf
05-06-2004, 11:31 PM
i very sorry for his loss Don and i would with out a second

thought send a nice donation but i barely have enough to

make it to next month (i hate disability my lungs are bad)

if this thread is still goin when i get back to work ill

definetly send something.

Don Sleeth
05-07-2004, 08:29 AM
No problem bmf, I hope your health improves soon.

Don Sleeth
05-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Latest Update:

Several donations were made over night! Isn't the Internet wonderful!

Total as of 8:30 A.M. Friday = $1,010.00

That's great, well done guys!

don

poppa
05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
hope we helped.

condenseddave
05-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Thread bump.

(It was getting pretty low on the page.)

infwsdm
05-08-2004, 12:56 AM
very sad situation.

mjd
05-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Don,
I clicked on Pay-Pal and the page keeps blinking. I want to donate, but also want to know how secure this page actually is before putting down my credit card number. Every time I type on the page it appears to blink and restart.

MJD

James 3528
05-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by mjd
Don,
I clicked on Pay-Pal and the page keeps blinking. I want to donate, but also want to know how secure this page actually is before putting down my credit card number. Every time I type on the page it appears to blink and restart.

MJD

I have been using paypal from bank drafts with no problems.

Don Sleeth
05-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mjd
Don,

MJD

It's PayPal, their job is to be secure, it doesn't get any tighter than them. I have no idea about the blinking, it has never happened to me, try re-booting your computer.

Thank you everyone for donating to chucko, I will update the total later today. Don't forget about the auction:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=51442

swat
05-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Update?

Don Sleeth
05-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey, great job HVAC-Talkers!! As of 1:27 P.M Saturday our total is now $1,187.11 :D

There is still this weekend and Monday, then I will be shutting it down.

I know you all will do what you can, and I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by chucko and his family.

Thanks

don

sigma
05-08-2004, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Sleeth
our total is now $1,187.11 :D

This is a strange number. Does this mean that account
accumulates interest? I've always thought that any interest goes to Pay Pal and this is how they make profit.

talk2me
05-08-2004, 11:49 PM
SORRY for the loss hope the donation helped wasent much. hope to here from you again back here on hvac-talk..

dorrmann
05-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by sigma This is a strange number. Does this mean that account
accumulates interest? I've always thought that any interest goes to Pay Pal and this is how they make profit.

[/B]

As far as I know, any money in PayPal doesn't accumulate interest. PayPal makes money by charging the money recipent a certain percentage if they have a commercial account that allows them to accept credit cards. That amount is probably the gross after the fees were taken out.

sigma
05-09-2004, 01:01 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]

As far as I know, any money in PayPal doesn't accumulate interest. PayPal makes money by charging the money recipent a certain percentage if they have a commercial account that allows them to accept credit cards. That amount is probably the gross after the fees were taken out. [/B][/QUOTE]

It makes sense. I would not know that. I always use PayPal to pay, not to receive. :)

hvac45
05-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I just sent a $100.00 donation to help, I challenge the other business owners to match it. I lost a son when he was almost 2, about 20 years ago, I feel his pain, the lord blessed me with another son who is now 6. This is the worst pain a family can endure. Mike.

Don Sleeth
05-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Okay Gentlemen, the current total is:

$1,297.11

That is the actual amount donated by HVAC-Talk members, nothing to do with fees or interest. As I said before, every cent you guys donate will go to chuck, do not worry about the transaction fees, I will handle them.

I will be closing off the page for donations at the same time the auction (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=51442) ends, which is 9:00 p.m. tonight!

So today is your last chance to help chucko615 through HVAC-Talk. Please do the best you can http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thank you!

don

spotts
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I lost a VERY small son this weekend myself. Wifey was 4 months pregnant when we lost him. 2½oz. 6" tall. Very emotional Mothers Day weekend for us but nothing compared to Chucks loss. Here's a small ($150.)donation for you and your family Chuck, I hope it helps ease the pain a little.

[Edited by spotts on 05-10-2004 at 10:16 AM]

Don Sleeth
05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that Spotts. I went through that at 5 months, many years ago. I was absolutely shocked at the feeling of loss that I felt at that time, I was taken completely by surprise. You are right though, it pales in comparison to the pain chucko must be in.

Thank you for your your donation.

don

spotts
05-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Whooo Boy! Go in for a routine checkup, and I went along to see him swim on the little camera thingy and in just a second- it was over. Hows our GRAND total look Don? Sure like to see these $$$$ double today!

infwsdm
05-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by spotts
I lost a VERY small son this weekend myself. Wifey was 4 months pregnant when we lost him. 2½oz. 6" tall. Very emotional Mothers Day weekend for us but nothing compared to Chucks loss. Here's a small donation for you and your family Chuck, I hope it helps ease the pain a little.

I(we)went through that too. We went to the ultra sound and I knew something was wrong. This was before my son was born who is now 18mo and was 2 months premature, which was another stressful time.

didn't you just have a kid? You animal you;)

...I agree, it does not compare with chucks situation

James 3528
05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
I went back to make another donation but paypal is rejecting it due to system traffic. I will try again later.

Diceman
05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Very sorry to hear about that Jack. Bad week at H-Tlk.

spotts
05-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by infwsdm
[

didn't you just have a kid? You animal you;)

...I agree, it does not compare with chucks situation [/B]

Yea, but we figgered he needed a buddy. Hell, I'll be 40 before I could make another, I think it's time to just be thankfull for the 3 we got.

Don Sleeth
05-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I had an e-mail asking how to make a donation.

Please click here http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/chuck.php

Thank You!

don

coolprod
05-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by James 3528
I went back to make another donation but paypal is rejecting it due to system traffic. I will try again later.

James, I just donated and it seemed to go Ok.

I cannot imagine what Chuck is going thru. My thaughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

spotts
05-10-2004, 03:00 PM
We need an update here! How much is it so far? I mean.... I mean..... if we cant all get together and at least send this brother a couple of grand..... Aw geeze, Well, I'm not hanging with the quality of people I thought I was here! 'cmon owners! Throw a measly 100.00 in the ring here!

Don Sleeth
05-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Okay Update:

With about 2 1/2 hours to go, we have raised $1,547.11 plus at least $425 from the HVAC-Calc auction (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=51442&pagenumber=2) so .... NOT BAD we need a few more .... so step right up ... Click HERE (http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/chuck.php)

:D

don

dash
05-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Guys and Gals,just try to imagine, how you would be feeling and then open your heart,then your wallet ,if it's feasible.

Don Sleeth
05-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Okay, I am closing off the donations so that I can get it all together and sent out to Chuck. It looks like the total, including the HVAC-Calc auction will be $2,167.11. Pretty good guys! It will be a nice tax-free hunk of cash to help them in this terrible time that they are going through.

Thank you HVAC-Talkers, I am proud of you!!

don

coolprod
05-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Don Sleeth
Okay, I am closing off the donations so that I can get it all together and sent out to Chuck. It looks like the total, including the HVAC-Calc auction will be $2,167.11. Pretty good guys! It will be a nice tax-free hunk of cash to help them in this terrible time that they are going through.

Thank you HVAC-Talkers, I am proud of you!!

don

Glad to hear it, and I hope it helps take some of stress off. This also makes me proud to be a part of such a great forum and people associated with it. Awesome!!

ed0612
05-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Don, I just got back from my chemo treatment up in NYC for a few days. I'd like to send a check for this tragety. I meant to do it before going but wasn't up to it. I'd like to send $50. Please a tell me how to mait it in. Thanks
ed0612( Ed Cooper)

chucko615
05-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I can't believe that people that only know me as a screen name and some things I've typed in the last few years, would open your hearts as you've done. I've been completely floored by all the sympathy that everyone around me have shown since this has happened.

When Gavin was born, that was the first time in my life that I understood unconditional love (where no matter what happens you still love them). All the small acts of kindness that people have shown me and my family since that terrible day has shown me the true meaning of compassion and sympathy. That is one of the few bright things to come out of this. I just wish it didn't have to come to me at such a great cost.

Jack, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss this weekend.

Thank you so much for all that you've done for us. Charles

Don Sleeth
05-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Charles, please call me at 1-888-736-1101.

don

hvac45
05-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Chuck we wish we could have done more, there is nothing we can say to ease your pain, just know all of our prayers and thoughts are with you at this time, you have an extended family here, if you need us we are here. I am sure I speak for most everyone here. God Bless.

coolprod
05-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by hvac45
Chuck we wish we could have done more, there is nothing we can say to ease your pain, just know all of our prayers and thoughts are with you at this time, you have an extended family here, if you need us we are here. I am sure I speak for most everyone here. God Bless.

Very well said 45...

Stamas
05-12-2004, 09:17 AM
I don't know but it seems this little site Don has could really become something more than it was intended. And a good thing... Go figure.
How but a cyber pat on the back Don?

Don Sleeth
05-14-2004, 01:59 PM
I had a nice long chat with Chuck yesterday, about Gavin. You know, there were no warning signs, it is very scary. There were two "problem areas" that I would like to post for the sake of other parents who may read this.

One was a high degree of frustration that Gavin felt with his math class at school. It seems he was very good in math and could do math well beyond his grade level yet the school was rigid and would not give him or allow him to be in an advanced math class so he more or less refused to do the math that they were giving him.

The other was a lot of time spent on the Internet playing online games. Maybe too much time.

At home here, both of my daughters have laptops but the only Internet connection available to them is in the kitchen. This is just so that we are around when they are "doing their homework" on the Net. However, out at the cottage, I have set up a wireless network to make the cottage more fun for them. I just did that this spring and already it has been a problem as I caught my 11 year old, in her room "doing her homework" but actually going to a chat site where the conversation (including hers) was extremely XXX. Anyway, getting off topic.

Like I said, we had a good conversation but it is a very sad situation.

The final total for the donations is $2,537.11 including the HVAC-Calc auction.

Thank you to all.

don

swat
05-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Don I gotta disagree with the online gaming. I know many online game players like myself and did not contemplate suicide over it. It actually in a way is a major stress reliever to be able to go home and shoot up a few imaginary ppl on the internet. Extended periods of time and all night sessions would be a better sign. Anxiety frustration and stress related to these games though is another story. Any time you have a gamer who plays a lot onlilne you really need to monitor them and how much they play as well as their behavior.

James 3528
05-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by swat
Don I gotta disagree with the online gaming. I know many online game players like myself and did not contemplate suicide over it. It actually in a way is a major stress reliever to be able to go home and shoot up a few imaginary ppl on the internet. Extended periods of time and all night sessions would be a better sign. Anxiety frustration and stress related to these games though is another story. Any time you have a gamer who plays a lot onlilne you really need to monitor them and how much they play as well as their behavior.

I think with out writing a essay he said "too much time" and generalizing ones experiences and the effect on them alone is not a reason for a debate on the subject. Don is sharing Chucks thoughts and that's good enough for me.

We all here have wished we spent time on the Internet doing something more productive.

infwsdm
05-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by swat

I think he was referring more to the use of time.