PDA

View Full Version : Interesting electrical issue

joemach
05-07-2017, 05:45 PM
I went to a hot water heater today that was not working. The breaker was not tripped, but I turned the breaker off and back on and the water heater was working again. I waited until the top element was satisfied and the lower element was energized and did not kick the breaker.

We had a storm a few days ago and that is when it was reported that the hot water heater went out. This was Square D QO breakers. Any ideas on what is going on here. Bad breaker?

I called it good for now to get them some hot water and will see if it goes out again.

Never say this happen before.

John Culpepper
05-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Two pole breaker? Maybe half of the breaker was tripped? I've seen that a couple of times on 2 pole breakers for clothes dryers. The drum would turn, but no heat.

lynn comstock
05-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Amp draw/breaker size?
Loose connection at breaker or bus bar?
Teach the owner how to reset a breaker.
One trip does not warrant a breaker replacement.

Joab
05-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I can't even count the number of times I've reset a breaker that didn't flip the handle over... One of the first things I do on a no power call is run my fingers down the breakers to see if a handle is loose and will flip to off or tripped with just a bit of pressure.

joemach
05-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Turns out the tenant pushed the breaker to the on position after it tripped without cycling it fully off first. All has been working OK since I reset it.

Thanks for all the input.