PDA

View Full Version : H/P suction line filter drier

steveo688
08-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Doing my 1st compressor change out on a 2 1/2 ton heat pump and the paperwork with it says to put filters on both lines. Should I put them both just outside the unit like usual liquid line placement? Thanks!

jklein20980
08-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hedrash
08-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Yes. I suggest over sizing the filter on the liquid line. Was it a burnout?? You should use HH cleanup filter-driers & properly sized at that. I suggest a C-303-HH on the liquid line (it's flare so do it right). The suction drier should be a C-437-S-T-HH or a C-607-S-T-HH which are huge filters but fill give you a low pressure drop across them. At some point you're going to want to replace both of them, if they clog & after cleanup is completed, replace the liquid line drier & remove the suction drier. I never liked leaving them in there if the system was clean.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saturatedpsi
08-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Late again. :grin2:

Bazooka Joey
08-07-2016, 08:11 PM
IMO, Replace accumulator also ( if it has one ) as if you install the suction filter/drier outside the OD unit you will be upstream of the possible contaminated accumulator in cool mode

Blow with nitrogen all directions, once compressor and drier is removed.

hedrash
08-07-2016, 08:26 PM
IMO, Replace accumulator also ( if it has one )

Blow with nitrogen all directions, once compressor and drier is removed.
And use a flush kit like Rx-11

martyinlincoln
08-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Wire it so there's no way it can operate in heating mode until that suction drier is removed.

hedrash
08-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Wire it so there's no way it can operate in heating mode until that suction drier is removed.
Unless you put in two with check valves

jim147
08-07-2016, 10:15 PM
While you are asking here how best to install them I would be asking the service manager why you are installing them. Been a few years since I had techs out running but I always liked them to run their own parts calls so they knew why they were doing what they were doing.

Jim

jtrammel
08-07-2016, 10:21 PM
I'd use a pancake HH suction drier on the common suction line at the compressor inlet and an oversized HH LL drier outside the unit on the LL. I usually cut out the first 10-12" of suction and discharge from the compressor. The burn out blackness is usually contained to just that piping and the compressor itself. If it's not real acidic and black then I'll just add acid away and an HH Liquid drier and maybe a dash of supco88.

garyed
08-07-2016, 11:15 PM
I'd rather put an oil additive like acid away in a residential system than install a suction line dryer. Since I've been using an oil additive I've had better success than i had with suction line dryers. Maybe that's because i never went back & removed or changed them but not too many of us do,especially on heat pumps. It's hard enough to get one inside the condenser in the true suction line to begin with.

Saturatedpsi
08-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Unless you put in two with check valves

But then, the active filter is no longer in the suction line...they aren't intended for hot gas line applications.

See item #14 under "Safety and Installation Instructions"...

Suction Line Filters (http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/FlowControls/pdf/systemprotectors/isheets/Suction-Line-Filter-Driers-(PA-00116).pdf)

samgevas
08-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I'd rather put an oil additive like acid away in a residential system than install a suction line dryer. Since I've been using an oil additive I've had better success than i had with suction line dryers. Maybe that's because i never went back & removed or changed them but not too many of us do,especially on heat pumps. It's hard enough to get one inside the condenser in the true suction line to begin with.

I'm with you. Unless it's a real bad burn out on a newish system. On a residential system I pull the comp, and the pipe inside to the outdoor unit(accumulator if its got one), and add a scavenger. Use the biggest LL dyer you can.

I just don't trust the company or the customer to actually make sure that the SL dryer is removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksefan
08-08-2016, 11:19 AM
I've installed many suction line driers and never removed one.

jtrammel
08-08-2016, 12:42 PM

It's not neccessary to remove them unless they plug up. An HH drier on a nasty burn out should be removed because the desiccant is full of acid.

kamersoutdoor
08-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Even on a HP application?

hedrash
08-08-2016, 07:50 PM
On a HP they should be taken out unless they're on the true suction line.

jtrammel
08-08-2016, 08:31 PM
I've got systems that have had suction driers in them for 20-25 years. They'll rust out before they cause a problem. I'm pretty sure the sporlan guy/gal on htalk even said its not neccessary to remove them the final time if no acid is present.

kamersoutdoor
08-08-2016, 08:51 PM
We're still talking heat pumps here guys?

Saturatedpsi
08-08-2016, 10:23 PM
I've got systems that have had suction driers in them for 20-25 years. They'll rust out before they cause a problem. I'm pretty sure the sporlan guy/gal on htalk even said its not neccessary to remove them the final time if no acid is present.

I've seen two that were restricting...which is not to say they won't. Maybe the ones that don't weren't necessary to begin with.

jtrammel
08-08-2016, 10:25 PM
We're still talking heat pumps here guys?

Heat pumps have a common suction line just like ACs have a suction line. I never put them on the vapor line on a hp.

hedrash
08-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Yup. Reversing valve always has a true suction & true discharge port. The true suction is the middle pipe on the 3 pipe side. The discharge goes to the single pipe side.