PDA

View Full Version : Drain Leak Opinions

HE>I
07-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Yo boys! So here is the situation. We did a coil condenser and furnace retro fit. We tied in the primary and secondary drain to the existing PVC runs. There is two systems in the attic and both existing primary drains were ran to one main drain line that stubs down and into a wall and drains somewhere that nor myself or the homeowner can find (im assuming it's tied into a line somewhere in the wall). We got a call from the home owner with a leak and ceiling damage, we went to inspect the cause and the main drain line that stubs down into a wall had clogged and back flowed all the way to the T's on one of the units. To relieve the problem I cleared the lines and tied back flow ports to the secondary drain lines so back flow will not reach the T's incase it happens again.

In your opinion, how should repair be handled as far as accountability. We did not run the main drain line and cannot access it being that it is burried in a wall. Thanks for your input and God bless!

martyinlincoln
08-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Eat it. Your tees should have been higher than the pan so any drain block would have tripped a float switch and avoided damage.

Answer-Man
08-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Yours, you should have verified the drain was open and clear, you tied into it you own the work, sorry

timebuilder
08-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Eat it. Your tees should have been higher than the pan so any drain block would have tripped a float switch and avoided damage.

I like this approach.

Yes, eat it and learn. If you are going to hire a drywall guy, this could be the time to find out where that line goes.....

HE>I
08-02-2016, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the input!!

Mack-AUS HVAC
08-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Hi,

Even though you should pay the piper, but you learned a lesson not only to check every aspect of your work, to double-check vital parts as well.

martyinlincoln
08-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Not knowing Goodman coils came with drain pan knock outs in place cost me drywall repair once. Live and learn

mrkelly
08-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Yeaaah,those 'closed' Evap ports are a biotch and NEED to Be 'addressed' because They do NOT close that port off and yes,have 'paid the price' because 'of' and usually 'where' we install a Saf-T-Tee sw to prevent such.
Change out's Require a 'proper' drain purge no matter 'what' the situation.
HVAC Rule #3.
"Water will not run uphill or out on It's own".

Mr. Rash,you 'paying attention'?
I want to write a Book 1 Day,You gaMe?