PDA

View Full Version : Any Special Training For R-290?

RichO
04-13-2016, 02:54 PM
I heard True had a training. I didn't find out about it until after the fact. Someone told me they may be limiting warranty work only to those companies who have been trained in it. Other than training by a manufacturer is there any other training available for it? Is any special training necessary? In your guys opinion what's the future look like for this?

itsiceman
04-13-2016, 03:21 PM
RSES has training. They go a little more than true since it's not specific to just 290
Both offer just some basic fundamentals

fridg
04-13-2016, 05:23 PM
I heard True had a training. I didn't find out about it until after the fact. Someone told me they may be limiting warranty work only to those companies who have been trained in it. Other than training by a manufacturer is there any other training available for it? Is any special training necessary? In your guys opinion what's the future look like for this?

Here we have to do a dedicated Hydrocarbon course before you can obtain your Hydrocarbon Licence. 2 days $700 & the body that regulates the industry is Department of Mines & Natural Resources.

http://tafeskillstech.edu.au/course/15442/hydrocarbon-course-gas-work-licence

joejax
04-13-2016, 06:43 PM
We took the class and took an on line course from RSES before hand and had to buy a kit from True with a leak detector, pinch off tool, and a recovery system. Now the recovery gadget is not needed because they say there is no need to recover.

From what I understand, the class is needed to do warranty work, yet it is stated 'No special Training is Needed to work with R290'. Maybe just a CYA thing.

The class was mostly on the endless amount of electronic t-stats True has now. It seemed like very little was on 290, mostly safety and not to unsweat fittings, and crimping access ports is mandatory, etc.

I was fairly disgusted with the whole idea. I did some research and found out they have been using it overseas for awhile with minimal casualties, so what can you do?

itsiceman
04-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Here we have to do a dedicated Hydrocarbon course before you can obtain your Hydrocarbon Licence. 2 days $700 & the body that regulates the industry is Department of Mines & Natural Resources.

http://tafeskillstech.edu.au/course/15442/hydrocarbon-course-gas-work-licence

Are you able to use HC in larger systems than these small self contained refrigerators that only hold a few ounces?

joejax
04-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Are you able to use HC in larger systems than these small self contained refrigerators that only hold a few ounces?

Don't know if it's true or not, but I seen on the internets where they were using 290 in split A/C units. Wow.

fridg
04-13-2016, 08:26 PM

There are no larger systems here yet due to the possible dangers ,, we have only just started using CO2 in the last 5 years in markets.

Daikin & Mitsubishi are starting to push there R32 units here now though.

itsiceman
04-13-2016, 08:28 PM
So they are making you do all that for a few grams of refrigerant :eek:

fridg
04-13-2016, 10:26 PM
So they are making you do all that for a few grams of refrigerant :eek:

Correct.

Department of Mines is regulating it as it is "their Natural Resource"

For synthetic refrigerants we are regulated by Arctick & have to have a licence for these also.

2 different governing bodies for the same industry or trade , which personally I think is ridiculous.