PDA

View Full Version : Micky D's Beacon walkin/Bohn Mac condensing unit.

Tafur01
04-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Hello all,
New member here.. Food Service Tech with Universal Refrigeration in the business 7 years. Mostly deal in Roof Top hvac but have been called into work on a Bohn/ Mac unit with what I've gathered is a Beacon 2 walk-in. Found my issue to be a grounded out 1ph compressor. Thus far I have recovered the old charge, removed old compressor, flushed the lines, replaced dyers, replaced compressor, and pressure checked. At this point I have read material regarding an EEV as the means of metering device. Is there anything I need to verify is open during my vacuum/charging? Just want to make sure I don't run into a situation where there is trapped refrigerant because a valve wasn't opened. Any info would be much appreciated. ** Note ** I don't have any experience on this system and the data plate was completely worn. Info I gathered was from Make of Condesor and walk-in Beacon sticker.

UmmScott
04-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Them systems shouldn't have a Liquid solenoid because the eev serves that function. So as long as the appropriate valves were cracked when u recovered it should be good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

UmmScott
04-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Oh and please verify superheat at the compressor itself when done.
We've had weird low superheat issues with the Beacon 2 system that have caused repeat comp failures

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tafur01
04-08-2016, 04:31 PM
From what I've gathered, you're right that it has the eev. That being said, what are appropriate valves to have cracked?

Tafur01
04-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Okay, I'll post info when done with install.

Ac cold
04-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Hello all,
New member here.. Food Service Tech with Universal Refrigeration in the business 7 years. Mostly deal in Roof Top hvac but have been called into work on a Bohn/ Mac unit with what I've gathered is a Beacon 2 walk-in. Found my issue to be a grounded out 1ph compressor. Thus far I have recovered the old charge, removed old compressor, flushed the lines, replaced dyers, replaced compressor, and pressure checked. At this point I have read material regarding an EEV as the means of metering device. Is there anything I need to verify is open during my vacuum/charging? Just want to make sure I don't run into a situation where there is trapped refrigerant because a valve wasn't opened. Any info would be much appreciated. ** Note ** I don't have any experience on this system and the data plate was completely worn. Info I gathered was from Make of Condesor and walk-in Beacon sticker.

Sometimes they're open depending on when you shut it down. Make sure you vacuum from both sides. Also if you're ever changing an eev always ALWAYS try to cut it out and not unsweat it. 9out of 10 times there will be trapped refrigerant in it and you will get a fire ball unsweating it.

Tafur01
04-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Okay. Thanks for the info

CFESAmasterEGSR
04-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Sometimes they're open depending on when you shut it down. Make sure you vacuum from both sides. Also if you're ever changing an eev always ALWAYS try to cut it out and not unsweat it. 9out of 10 times there will be trapped refrigerant in it and you will get a fire ball unsweating it.

Yes. Trapped oil!

Been there, done that!