PDA

View Full Version : Old McQuay Evaporator

ammoniadog
02-25-2016, 03:38 PM
This Evap is in a small walk in cooler at an old family restaurant that had recently shut down. It's an old piece of junk, but I thought it was still kind of cool none the less. I couldn't decide weather to put it in the wall of pride or the wall of shame, so its going here.

The cooler wasn't anything special, just old. It wasn't turned on, so I don't know if it works or not. It has a small fan motor behind it. It looks like the air blows out the front with those weird louvers to direct the airflow. It looks like the original drain pan had rusted through, so somebody rigged up a new one made out of stainless. It has a somewhat newer condensing unit with R409A written all over it with a little K-body compressor in it.

Does anyone know how old this thing might be? I'm guessing maybe late 60's? That's really just a wild guess though. Are those weird louver things original, or did someone rig those up too? Sorry about the crappy picture quality.

pecmsg
02-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Mid 60's, Yes the louvers were original.
Probably 5/8" tubing in that beast, 1/4/ or 1/3 hp fan with exposed blade.
There's a tavern here the keg cooler has a similar evap hooked to a belt driven compressor. Needs maybe a 3 of R-12 yearly still chugging along.

TechmanTerry
02-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Hay pecmsg, I recently shut down an old Milk Truck body,turned into a Veg WI,turned into a storage shed, that had two of those evap's. That was at a Farm out your way in Aquebogue!

Come on now ammoniadog, what is/was weird about those weird louvers?!?!

pecmsg
02-25-2016, 05:21 PM
What farm?

We pulled 3 blowers similar to that from Whickams

TechmanTerry
02-25-2016, 05:47 PM
(Lyal) Well's Homestead Acres. One of the oldest continuously family owned farm's in American History.

ammoniadog
02-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Come on now ammoniadog, what is/was weird about those weird louvers?!?!

Now that you mention it, maybe what's really weird is all of the evaporators that I've seen throughout the years that don't have louvers like that. Or maybe it's just me.

:cheers: