PDA

View Full Version : Calculating evaporator refrigeration capacity

kallileo
01-28-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm an automation engineer so I don't much stuff about refrigeration.
I need a formula to calculate the maximum refrigeration capacity of dimple plate evaporator of a cooling tank when its surface is known.

Thanks

joejax
02-03-2016, 12:50 AM
How big is your tank? I have seen some of the old dairy tanks that were chilled. You may want to research those types.

kallileo
02-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't have a specific tank.
I'm looking for a general formula for calculating the refrigeration capacity of laser welded evaporator pillow plate heat exchanger.

joejax
02-04-2016, 08:26 PM
That could be over my head. This may fall under the ol' "which came first, the chicken or the egg" theory. Refrigeration is mostly made up of theories, it's in the book: "The Theory of Refrigeration".

If you were trying to MacGyver something to keep your mash at temp with a known tank size, then researching chilled tanks via the dairy industry would be a start.

Some of the Dairy Queen's use a chilled tank to hold liquid ice cream gunk in the mid 30's. I had worked on a 500 gallon +/- system and the unit was a 3/4 hp, IIRC.

icemeister
02-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Heat transfer calculations are quite complicated, particularly by the number of variables involved. One formula really doesn't exist for what you're asking. Perhaps this might be of some help to you:

http://energy.concord.org/energy2d/