PDA

View Full Version : Ice cuber evaporator problems?

Ariel
12-10-2015, 02:26 AM
Hello,

This is my first post here and I am inquiring if problems we have are isolated to our ice cubers
as manufacturer say.
We have installed quite many commercial ice cubers, delivered to us 2012, 2013 and 2014.
The evaporators are falling apart, the cube grid is coming loose from the base plate and
also the nickel plating is flaking off.

Manufacturer say that they do not have this problem elsewhere, only in cubers we have bought!
This is very hard for me to believe, so I thought I ask here.
As we are in the middle of this, I left the ice cuber manufacturer name out.

TIA

BALloyd
12-10-2015, 03:53 AM
What are you cleaning the evaporators with? Has to be nickel safe cleaner if nickel plated evaporator.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ariel
12-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Manufacturer specified nickel safe cleaner is used according to instructions.
The plating is coming off in flakes, it has not adhered to the copper evaporator.

pecmsg
12-10-2015, 07:41 AM
We need a make, mod #'s

VTP99
12-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Yeah, who's name are you protecting ?

Ariel
12-10-2015, 08:11 AM
At this stage I don't think this info is needed.
I'm just making a general inquiry if there has been problems with ice cuber evaporators.
In my profile is my E-mail, I can be contacted directly if required.
We have installed during 2012, 2013 and 2014 over 300 cubers and we have had so far
about 50 evaporator failures.

pecmsg
12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Good Luck Then

VTP99
12-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Good Luck Then

X2

Ariel
12-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Apologize if I'm upsetting you but I do not understand what the manufacturer name has to do
with this problem. I got the impression that this forum is more professional.
I should be quite clear that as this case is open, we handle the details between manufacturer and us.

pecmsg
12-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Your asking if the problem is normal yet wont tell us the manufacture? There are a lot of factory reps as members that may be able to help.

With your limited information some grid type evaporators can have problems some may not. Make, Mod & ser #'s are needed.

Give us something to work with and we can help

VTP99
12-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Well, I guess we could play the game this way. Process of elimination. Lets start with Hoshizaki, can't be them, they use a stainless steel evaporator. :whistle:

itsiceman
12-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Without a name I agree with what they told you. You are the only one having this issue. It is not a common problem.

Do they make ice?
Got pics so we can see if this is normal or not?

2sac
12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Well, I guess we could play the game this way. Process of elimination. Lets start with Hoshizaki, can't be them, they use a stainless steel evaporator. :whistle:

Sure....Take the easy way out

KB Cool
12-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Gotta be ice o matic. Had one fall apart a few months ago. 2012 model.

TechmanTerry
12-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Hay Mister! My car is making a noise. He says what brand , Ford, Masserratti, Honda. You don't have to know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icemeister
12-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Hello,

This is my first post here and I am inquiring if problems we have are isolated to our ice cubers
as manufacturer say.
We have installed quite many commercial ice cubers, delivered to us 2012, 2013 and 2014.
The evaporators are falling apart, the cube grid is coming loose from the base plate and
also the nickel plating is flaking off.

Manufacturer say that they do not have this problem elsewhere, only in cubers we have bought!
This is very hard for me to believe, so I thought I ask here.
As we are in the middle of this, I left the ice cuber manufacturer name out.

TIA

Since ice machine evaporators don't self-destruct and because the manufacturer apparently denies responsibility for the failures, it must be their contention that it's your fault...ie, you have either done something to cause the failures or have not done something to prevent them.

You state later on that you have had 50 failures with 300 machines. That's a 17% in-warranty failure rate, which I would expect the manufacturer would have become involved directly, such as sending their field service techs out to these installations to determine what the cause may be. If they haven't done this at a minimum I would be very surprised.

You are asking us if evaporators coming apart and losing their plating is common. What I'm saying is, no it's not, at least it's not common without a reason for this type of failure. Severe corrosion is usually the reason they fall apart. The cause for the corrosion is the key. How well the evaporator stands up against bad water is crucial. If at this point, this manufacturer has not identified and stated what the cause for failure was, again I would be very surprised considering the numbers involved.

Some manufacturers will state that an approved water filtration system is recommended. It should be clearly stated as a requirement for warranty with all machines, because I have had warranty claims questioned, asking if there was a proper filter installed. Just because water may pass the tests for potability, it doesn't mean it passes for an ice machine. Do you have filters? Has anyone tested the water?

Then, as others have said, if the machine are improperly cleaned the evaporators can be damaged. Just because a nickel safe cleaner was used or even the manufacturer's own brand was used, if it wasn't performed according to the manufacturer's instructions the evaporator could still be ruined.

itsiceman
12-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Well, I guess we could play the game this way. Process of elimination. Lets start with Hoshizaki, can't be them, they use a stainless steel evaporator. :whistle:they aint out of the woods yet
some little ones and square cube machines have coated evaporators ;)

VTP99
12-10-2015, 06:05 PM
they aint out of the woods yet
some little ones and square cube machines have coated evaporators ;)

Damn, your right ! We don't even have a model number.....
It's one of the most intreging threads yet....
ahhh I mean game's yet.....

KB Cool
12-10-2015, 06:31 PM
The one we had fall apart had the "approved water filters to extend warranty to seven yrs" installed. Maybe the guy who plated the evap didn't get the plating thick enough! I don't know!

yaytech
12-10-2015, 11:34 PM
i don't believe there would be a problem with giving out the name here... it would only be helpful for those willing to give any ideas...

TechmanTerry
12-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Or it could be helpful for the Tech, to be BOLO "be on look out"for.