PDA

View Full Version : hussmann cases freezing up

eddiegoodfellar
11-23-2015, 09:45 PM
We have inherited a couple stores that all have freezing problems. It seems mike the cases are freezing becasue the water under the fan plenums is damning at the bottom of the plenum itself and ice accumulates after each defrost.

I am considering tapping some 5/16" screws to the bottom of the plenum to add space under it. This would allow a space the under the plenum of the size of the screw head. Inl have been told this is a common fix. I will also check the level of the cases before i try this. I forgot to check if the fan wiring harness is causing the damning. Im 90% sure all the cases are trapped properly. Any other things i should check

Defrost, and drip times are all within spec.

BALloyd
11-24-2015, 04:33 AM
Model number? Coffin or Doors?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

TechmanTerry
11-24-2015, 08:31 AM
What would you be screwing into?? The bottom of the case?. Are you 90% sure the traps/drains are good or bad? You checked/tested the traps?

eddiegoodfellar
11-24-2015, 09:43 AM
I would be screwing into the fan plenum and not the drain pan. Picture lifting up the plenum from the front like when you are de-icing the coil and tapping a screw up through the bottom of the plenum. When you out the plenum back in place it would sit the distance of the screw head higher.

The cases are D5X-LEP and RL glass doors.

bullcity
11-27-2015, 08:48 PM
If I picture correctly. Instead of the air moving through the coil it will just blow back out of the gap you created. Taking the path of least resistance.

eddiegoodfellar
11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
If I picture correctly. Instead of the air moving through the coil it will just blow back out of the gap you created. Taking the path of least resistance.

Thats what I was thinking after i posted this.

hevysrf
11-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Chased a problem on RL doors for a while. In one store it was made worse by an extreme length of run on gas defrost cases. Still not perfect, we are running defrost longer and have installed aux drain pan rod heaters off the fan relay.

BALloyd
11-27-2015, 10:33 PM
I recall we fixed an RL case by putting a washer underneath to allow the water to drain and it worked.

I also know that we have had cases that would not tolerate any gap under the plenum and would not have proper airflow.

eddiegoodfellar
11-27-2015, 10:45 PM
I recall we fixed an RL case by putting a washer underneath to allow the water to drain and it worked.

I also know that we have had cases that would not tolerate any gap under the plenum and would not have proper airflow.

It is a RL case. The thought was to use the head of the screw as the washer. This way would more permanent than a washer that could move around. Just thinking outloud here.

BALloyd
11-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Might as well give it a try.