PDA

View Full Version : history of the duct filter

charles2
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Are there any old-timers or history buffs out there? How long after air conditioning was invented was the first duct filter invented?

t527ed
10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
right after the first coil plugged up.....;)

charles2
10-14-2007, 10:28 PM
How did car coils go for so many years before cabin air filters became standard?

t527ed
10-14-2007, 10:42 PM
look how many hours per day your average car a/c runs compared to a house a/c. have never seen a car evap coil but since efficiency does not matter much i would think it also has wider fin spacing.:cool:

charles2
10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Look at how old my car is - 16 years - with no cabin air filter. I wonder how funky the coil is. It was switched over to R-134 without changing the coils, so I need every bit of performance out of it that I can get.

cjcargo
10-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Alfred Wolff, Stuart Cramer and Willis Carrier are the three men most responsible for the introduction of air conditioning and climate control, according to Gail Cooper, author of Air Conditioning America: Engineers and the Controlled Environment, 1900-1960.

The three carried on where a some left off, namely John Gorrie, a Florida physician who, in 1842 envisioned mechanically cooled houses and even centralized refrigeration plants for whole cities. Later, he also saw cooling as beneficial for manufacturing plants, which, with cooled interiors, could operate in warmer climates and operate continuously in temperate regions.

By 1889, centrally located refrigeration plants piped cool air into city buildings in both the United States and abroad. Similar to current steam-heat systems, refrigeration was piped in via a network of pipes. At this time, such refrigeration was used mainly for cold storage.

It was Wolff who, in 1902, provided the first dedicated cooling system, for the New York Stock Exchange's trading room. Prior to this, Wolff had designed heating and ventilation systems for many buildings, and some primitive cooling systems in the form of ice racks. Through the late 19th century, Wolff developed practices for control of temperature, humidity, cleanliness and air distribution in indoor ventilation systems, according to Cooper. These are the four essential functions of modern air conditioning. He continued to refine techniques for humidity control, closely related to air temperature, in later projects. He understood how important humidity control was in providing comfort cooling and is remembered in the industry for his contributions in this regard.

Looks as if Wolff is credited for the filter in 1902 noted for cleanliness.

DeltaT
10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
And if I remember right he invented the first refrigeration cooler due to patients of Malairia (SP) who, he found out, recovered better when kept in a cool environment. Ithink the was working with patients from the digging of the Panama Canal. And I think the medicine lasted longer also. He has been entirely left out in the chain of history of our industry.

cn
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Look at how old my car is - 16 years - with no cabin air filter. I wonder how funky the coil is. It was switched over to R-134 without changing the coils, so I need every bit of performance out of it that I can get.

I am glad they make cabin filter standard in cars.

It makes:
- the evap coil cleaner
- your lungs cleaner.

For all those years I drove cars WITHOUT cabin filters smelling exhaust and diesel fume from trucks......yacky....