PDA

View Full Version : YELLOW JACKET Quick Tip: 3-2-3 vs. 1% Gauges

YELLOW JACKET
01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Learn more about the difference between 3-2-3 and 1% gauges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vx1xyiwHEc

54regcab
01-18-2014, 10:41 AM
1% accuracy on a Class 1 gauge, this is for both analog and digital? Does this mean there is no accuracy advantage for digital gauges when compared to Class 1 analog?

Greend88
01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Most good digitals are 0.5% accurate... So a 0.5% difference between 1% analogs and digitals.

54regcab
01-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Does a 0.5% difference in refrigerant pressures really matter when most techs don't own/use equipment to measure system airflow? Or is switching to digital more about being easy to read/extra features?

jtrammel
01-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Once you bang analogue guage around in the truck for a bit they lose there accuracy by a bunch, digitals, namely Digi-Cools, stay the same accuracy if you hit them with a sledge, make SH/SC a breeze and are easier to read than a needle on a guage through a plastic cover, are in tenths of a psi on the low side and on and on. There's really no comparison on digital vs analog in the real world. I do keep a set of analogues on my truck in case my battery goes dead and I don't have another or whatever but I haven't used them in a year.

itsiceman
01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
1% accuracy on a Class 1 gauge, this is for both analog and digital? Does this mean there is no accuracy advantage for digital gauges when compared to Class 1 analog?

like for like no but depends on the scale
you would probably be better off measuring 50psi using a 1% analog with a 100 psi range than a 1% digital with a 1000psi range.
In that example the 1% digital would be rated for 10psi and the 1% analog would be 1/2 psi

davidj001
01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
and they can make even a dummy like me look smart :putergreet:
Once you bang analogue guage around in the truck for a bit they lose there accuracy by a bunch, digitals, namely Digi-Cools, stay the same accuracy if you hit them with a sledge, make SH/SC a breeze and are easier to read than a needle on a guage through a plastic cover, are in tenths of a psi on the low side and on and on. There's really no comparison on digital vs analog in the real world. I do keep a set of analogues on my truck in case my battery goes dead and I don't have another or whatever but I haven't used them in a year.

YELLOW JACKET
01-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Great discussion! - Digital gauges will usually be better than 1% of full scale accuracy. You definitely need to consider the full scale range of the gauge when you are comparing accuracy. One thing not mentioned about digital gauges is that along with the digital pressure measurement, you can get a digital temperature measurement, automatic refrigerant PT data look-up, and automatic superheat or sub-cooling calculations. With that being said, there are still a lot of techs out there getting the job done just fine with analog gauges.