PDA

View Full Version : USAF has hit Al Queda in Africa

James 3528
01-08-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/08/world/main2335451.shtml

(CBS/AP) A U.S. Air Force gunship has conducted a strike against suspected members of al Qaeda in Somalia, CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports exclusively.

The targets included the senior al Qaeda leader in East Africa and an al Qaeda operative wanted for his involvement in the 1998 bombings of two American embassies in Africa, Martin reports. Those terror attacks killed more than 200 people.

The AC-130 gunship is capable of firing thousands of rounds per second, and sources say a lot of bodies were seen on the ground after the strike, but there is as yet, no confirmation of the identities.

The gunship flew from its base in Dijibouti down to the southern tip of Somalia, Martin reports, where the al Qaeda operatives had fled after being chased out of the capital of Mogadishu by Ethiopian troops backed by the United States.

Once they started moving, the al Qaeda operatives became easier to track, and the U.S. military started preparing for an air strike, using unmanned aerial drones to keep them under surveillance and moving the aircraft carrier Eisenhower out of the Persian Gulf toward Somalia. But when the order was given, the mission was assigned to the AC-130 gunship operated by the U.S. Special Operations command.

If the attack got the operatives it was aimed at, reports Martin, it would deal a major blow to al Qaeda in East Africa.

Meanwhile, a jungle hideout used by Islamic militants that is believed to be an al Qaeda base was on the verge of falling to Ethiopian and Somali troops, the defense minister said Monday.

While a lawmaker had earlier told The Associated Press that the base was captured, Somalia's Defense Minister Col. Barre "Hirale" Aden Shire said troops had yet to enter it and that limited skirmishes were still ongoing, though troops were poised to take the base.

Ethiopian soldiers, tanks and warplanes were involved in the two-day attack, a government military commander told the AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Shire said there had been heavy fighting with high numbers of casualties.

"There are a lot of casualties from both sides," he said, declining to give details.

Residents in the coastal seaport of Kismayo, some 90 miles northeast of Ras Kamboni, said they saw wounded Ethiopian soldiers being loaded onto military helicopters for evacuation.

"I have seen about 50 injured Ethiopian troops being loaded onto a military chopper," said Farhiya Yusuf. She said 12 Ethiopian helicopters were stationed at the Kismayo airport.

Somali officials said the Islamic movement's main force is bottled up at Ras Kamboni, the southernmost tip of the country, cut off from escape at sea by patrolling U.S. warships and across the Kenyan border by the Kenyan military.

In Mogadishu, Somalia's president made his first visit to the capital since taking office in 2004. During the unannounced visit, President Abdullahi Yusuf was expected to meet with traditional Somali elders and stay at the former presidential palace that has been occupied by warlords for 15 years, government spokesman Abdirahman Dinari said.

U.S. officials warned after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that extremists with ties to al Qaeda operated a training camp at Ras Kamboni and that al Qaeda members are believed to have visited it.

Three al Qaeda suspects wanted in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa are believed to be leaders of the Islamic movement. The Islamists deny having any links to al Qaeda.

Somalia's government had struggled to survive since forming with backing from the United Nations two years ago, and was under attack by the Islamic militia when Ethiopia's military intervened on Dec. 24 and turned the tide.

But many in predominantly Muslim Somalia resent the presence of troops from neighboring Ethiopia, which has a large Christian population. The countries fought two brutal wars, the last in 1977.

On Sunday, gunmen attacked Ethiopian troops, witnesses said, sparking a firefight in the second straight day of violence in the capital, Mogadishu.

chillbilly
01-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Another example of everyday strategies and operations against terrorist networks and their operatives under an administaration committed to dealing with these thugs.
This type of coverage is ominously missing in favor of American body counts in Iraq.

bootlen
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
YEAH, BABY!!

Give 'em hell, Spectre!

James 3528
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
he targets included the senior al Qaeda leader in East Africa and an al Qaeda operative wanted for his involvement in the 1998 bombings of two American embassies in Africa, Martin reports. Those terror attacks killed more than 200 people.

When Clinton lied, no terrorists died.

smokin68
01-08-2007, 08:55 PM
While if indeed a terrorist site, I support it 100%. However, this is all speculation right now......

"and sources say a lot of bodies were seen on the ground after the strike, but there is as yet, no confirmation of the identities."

James 3528
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
If a spectre flew over, all the bodies would be on the ground. By the time MSNBC and Keth Olberman get's a hold of this, it will have been cruel and unfair that we did not ask them about their dreams and ambitions first.

coolwhip
01-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Get them SOB's!! Those gun ships are amazing. if its got body heat, they can see you.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1015/ac130dk6.jpg:eek: yikes!

bootlen
01-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Get them SOB's!! Those gun ships are amazing. if its got body heat, they can see you.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1015/ac130dk6.jpg:eek: yikes!

It IS a phenom. When I was assigned to Spectre way back in '69, there was a system that could pick up a truck engine from 5500' of altitude. And if one of the cylinders on that engine was knocking, it could tell you which cylinder. God only knows what they have on those beauties now.

ga-hvac-tech
01-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Another example of everyday strategies and operations against terrorist networks and their operatives under an administaration committed to dealing with these thugs.
This type of coverage is ominously missing in favor of American body counts in Iraq.

You now something Chill,

Repeatedly posting this type of article (military successes) may be a way to open the eyes of folks that do not fully grasp the eitirety of the terrorist issue.

Good find, lets see more... :D

chillbilly
01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
You now something Chill,

Repeatedly posting this type of article (military successes) may be a way to open the eyes of folks that do not fully grasp the eitirety of the terrorist issue.

Good find, lets see more... :D

I agree. If we have to endure the media exaggerating the losses, we need to be vigilant in reporting and not forgetting about the wins.
There are a lot of wins too.
I can understand why people hate to see our boys dying, but I wonder if they are pleased when they see our boys whipping some terrorist ass.

ga-hvac-tech
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Chill (again),

THX for the reply, sounds like you and I are on the same page here.

I suspect there are those that just cannot handle the idea of accountability (that is: if a terrorist does the crime, they get shot; end of discussion). The non-violent crowd I guess.

I think most folks choose the kind of news they want to hear... :o

I just wish more of the 'Americans Won' stuff would be on the major media outlets. But we can find the articles and post them here. :)

James 3528
01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I hear Reagan saying......

you can run, but you can't hide

corny
01-08-2007, 10:46 PM
What outfit were you with bootlen...in thailand or vietnam ???

What difference would a knocking engine have made...just curious myself... would infrared pick up a knocking engine better because of the higher heat generated by a knocking engine as opposed to a non knocking engine ??? ( dont know much about cars)

69 eh.... still using the infrared scopes then werent they.... I was thinking the tv and laser guided stuff didnt come about till 70....71...

They still used quite a few prop driven aircraft in vietnam....Im thinking the vietnamese used a few p-51s.....but we used several prop driven gunships and I know at least one prop driven close air support aircraft...the A1D ??? skyraider....probably more....in addition to prop driven forward air control aircraft.

corny
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
methinks someone must be googling like mad......~:>

bootlen
01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
What outfit were you with bootlen...in thailand or vietnam ???

What difference would a knocking engine have made...just curious myself... would infrared pick up a knocking engine better because of the higher heat generated by a knocking engine as opposed to a non knocking engine ??? ( dont know much about cars)

69 eh.... still using the infrared scopes then werent they.... I was thinking the tv and laser guided stuff didnt come about till 70....71...

They still used quite a few prop driven aircraft in vietnam....Im thinking the vietnamese used a few p-51s.....but we used several prop driven gunships and I know at least one prop driven close air support aircraft...the A1D ??? skyraider....probably more....in addition to prop driven forward air control aircraft.

Methinks yer asking for bona fides. I don't have to prove anything to you. But I'll answer the questions as best I can to answer your curiosity.

I was in the 16 SOS, Ubon, Thailand from Nov. '68 till Nov. '69. My Thanksgiving Day both years were spent crossing the Pacific.

Wouldn't make any diff which cylinder was bad...just mentioned it (Black Crow) to give some indication of how advanced things were then. I guess that went completely over your head. Then again, most things do.

We had FLIR and a NOD (similar to a starlight but hugely more powerful). The NOD was our primary instrument for finding and targeting trucks. But FLIR worked almost as well. There seemed to be a problem with FLIR at the time keeping a lock on target due, I suppose, to hand/eye coordination with a side looking view and a circling aircraft. Or it may have been in the servo motors being somewhat less than fluid in moving the eye.

As it turns out, smart bombs were used extensively in VN, some out of the 8th TFW but most out of the wing at NKP. Lots of advanced stuff was introduced through NKP. I don't have a clue why it was that way...just that it was.

I didn't see any 51's at all while there. I don't think they existed. Saw a few A-1's with USAF markings. Thai's used WWII type the US designated as a T-28. Prop (recip) aircraft with USAF markings were the O-1, O-2, A-1, C/AC-47, AC-119, C-123, and OV-10. All of those came through Ubon at one time or another. The AC-130 is a turbo-prop, BTW. Calling a C-130 a prop is like calling a Silverado a car. It just shows ignorance. (What'd I expect?)

As long as I was there, Spectres were all A model 130's and armed with 4 each 20mm and 4 each 7.62mm gatlings. You hear from some there was no such armament configuration but they'll be wrong. The first 40mm arrived the day I left. We had 4 firing altitudes...5500, 4500, 3500, and 2500 AGL. Cameras were added to the Spectres about midway through my tour. They thought our BDA was over-spoken. Turns out it was under-reported.

We didn't get any ground support from the 8thTFW, I suppose because we were directly responsible to the Pentagon. The gunners had to reload our own aircraft to 1500 rounds of 20mm into each ammo bin. First sortie typically took off around 6 p.m and the last about 3 a.m. and 3 to 4 sorties per night.

We seldom used the 7.62. Why spit on someone when you can drive a Kenworth through his heart?

I never flew on a single mission over VN on AC-130's. Every one was over Laos with the exception of a couple over Cambodia. I logged 85 total gunship missions and DEROS'ed.

All the sensor devices at that time were manned by officers. Enlisted men started manning the sensors much later than '72, I think. By that time I had changed aircraft.

Something else to tease you with, corny. I cross-trained into inflight refueling and became a Boom Operator. Not too many guys in history have had those 2 jobs...AC-130A Gunship Gunner and KC-135A Boom Operator. I think I am within the mark when I say there are no more than 4 individuals to have done both.

I was assigned to the 917th ARS, 96BW, Dyess AFB, TX, from Jan. '72 till Apr. '75, when I separated. Participated in Operation Bulletshot (known affectionately as the herd shot 'round the world). We were given a 48 hour notification to launch the first aircraft from Dyess, bombers going to Guam and tankers to Okinawa. Every aircraft that could fly was gone inside of 4 days. They even closed the runway after we left and stripped the rubber off the concrete. We left on 89 day TDY orders and came back to Dyess for 30 days, then cycled back over, repeatedly till the end of the war. It was done that way for budgetary issues. When we came home for those short stints, we had to go to Carswell to fly.

We supported Linebacker I and II. We were assigned a bed at Kadena but made the rounds in the western Pacific. We flew Bulletshot (3 hour flight), Combat Apple (8 hour), radio relay (12 hour) sorties, the occasional FLS out of Anderson, with a rare side trip to Alaska transporting Pentagon-bound film.

Now, I don't care if you believe me or not. I'm just not into impressing punks. But I know it will make you crazy wondering. Thanks for the opportunity!

bootlen
01-09-2007, 01:06 AM
BTW, My avatar? That's me. Taken from pic of some of the Spectre gunners.

corny
01-09-2007, 01:16 AM
tried to delete this several times......

corny
01-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Ubon eh...... never been there myself.... though I do have a shoebox or so of photos from there.... got a few photos of ac-130s but they were later than your type I guess....these sport 105 mm howitzers.... got a couple of 8 tfw "steins" made from a cut off 105 casing and a 20 mm shell...either a dummy or a demilitarized one....Ok just went and checked... the 105 has a primer in it but it looks like its never been touched....the 20 mm dummy looks like the primer has been hit...lol I wonder if the 105 is from a spent shell...

Got a ton of f-4 photos...a lot of colonol ritchies with six stars too... some other with less stars...not going to get the shoeboxes out this late....

Didnt know the 130s were based there though.....Got some other photos of various aircraft.... f-111s, a couple of photos of painted up a-7s....lot of other aircraft......think there are some rb-66 photos...and a few others......

Got a lot of photos of f-105s from the mid 60s I think...... got some stuff from udorn too.... got some b-57 photos too.... freaky looking plane...

No f-100 photos though...I know they saw some service over there...I always thought they were neat planes...

Odd ....warriors like us ...the wonders and horrors we have seen...meeting like this in an hvac politics forum...sparring over a couple of books among other things....just a cruel world I guess....~:>

prophets (pbuh) sake.... its nearly 2 am....

oh...btw...the things you post dont really go over my head... I can become a expert too....I do have google ya know...lol

we just differ on our opinions......

I can look at the world around me from a completely neutral and unbiased point of view... you are blinded by the flag and your god....

James 3528
01-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Sounds like your point of view is with your head stuck up your ****

bootlen
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Ubon eh...... never been there myself.... though I do have a shoebox or so of photos from there.... got a few photos of ac-130s but they were later than your type I guess....these sport 105 mm howitzers.... got a couple of 8 tfw "steins" made from a cut off 105 casing and a 20 mm shell...either a dummy or a demilitarized one....Ok just went and checked... the 105 has a primer in it but it looks like its never been touched....the 20 mm dummy looks like the primer has been hit...lol I wonder if the 105 is from a spent shell...

Got a ton of f-4 photos...a lot of colonol ritchies with six stars too... some other with less stars...not going to get the shoeboxes out this late....

Didnt know the 130s were based there though.....Got some other photos of various aircraft.... f-111s, a couple of photos of painted up a-7s....lot of other aircraft......think there are some rb-66 photos...and a few others......

Got a lot of photos of f-105s from the mid 60s I think...... got some stuff from udorn too.... got some b-57 photos too.... freaky looking plane...

No f-100 photos though...I know they saw some service over there...I always thought they were neat planes...

Odd ....warriors like us ...the wonders and horrors we have seen...meeting like this in an hvac politics forum...sparring over a couple of books among other things....just a cruel world I guess....~:>

prophets (pbuh) sake.... its nearly 2 am....

oh...btw...the things you post dont really go over my head... I can become a expert too....I do have google ya know...lol

we just differ on our opinions......

I can look at the world around me from a completely neutral and unbiased point of view... you are blinded by the flag and your god....

All your supposed experience and googling...and you're still clueless. What a waste of resource.

ga-hvac-tech
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
BTW, My avatar? That's me. Taken from pic of some of the Spectre gunners.

Hey Boot,

For some reason, I figured that was you... :)

bootlen
01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Boot,

For some reason, I figured that was you... :)

Yeah, no rocket science figurin' that out, huh? But corny...well, he's slow on the uptake.

corny
01-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Sounds like your point of view is with your head stuck up your ****

This is all James has to offer...so sad............

peace be upon you james...the prophet (pbuh) loves you too.... sitting there home alone except for the roaches and rats who hang around only because you are a messy eater...wondering ....why meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

He has a purpose for you..... I dont know why he has kept you in a life of loneliness and squalor and pain for a lifetime but he has a purpose for you....maybe he will reveal it soon....

lets just hope it doesnt involve you, a rifle, and a tall building.....

~:>

chillbilly
01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
One has to wonder why you would respond with such a large volume of poop.

coolwhip
01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Corny, this was a good patriotic thread until you started with the sarcasm. Boots even shared some military service stories with us. You should thank him for that and appreciate the liberties given to you through the blood and toils of our combat veterans.
There are many countries that exist today without forums such as this one; countries that would eliminate your whole family for saying the things we do here.
Be greatful you were not born into such a nightmare and that your tongue is free to move about.

For example China, even they hate these weirdos.
http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=346860&sid=WOR

corny
01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
you are right coolwhip.... I ended my sarcastic comments on this thread a few posts up.... right before james and chilly jumped in with there 2 cents worth of nothing...lol

Guess I'll just have to pray that someday booty finds the true meaning of christianity.......

anyhow......

bootlen
01-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Guess I'll just have to pray that someday booty finds the true meaning of christianity.......

Why should that matter to you? You wouldn't recognize it.

James 3528
01-09-2007, 01:27 PM
you are right coolwhip.... I ended my sarcastic comments on this thread a few posts up.... right before james and chilly jumped in with there 2 cents worth of nothing...lol

anyhow......Like this was a exclusive thread you acted like a jerk on. :rolleyes:

acmanko
01-09-2007, 02:23 PM
It looks like there will be some more fighting and the US ARMY will have to go in and show the Navy and Air Force how to do a job.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_on_re_af/somalia_278

Special Ed
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Can't tell that report's biased, can we?

CBS just can't report a successful operation by our military & it makes me sick. I bet they had to look long & hard for witnesses to claim that we killed "31 civilians including newlyweds". I bet if bin Laden himself came forward saying the U.S. military targets civilians, CBS, AP, et. al. would believe it & report it as fact.

They should be sued for libel.

chillbilly
01-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Any reports that indicate that out military has made advances is promptly squashed by the liberal apologists who just cannot accept our fate.

We must deal with these terrorist forces. That is part of our fate as a nation.

The alternative to battling these extremists is unacceptable.

coordinatesales
01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
The problem with identifying them as civilians is twofold. First, the terrorists are dressed in civilian clothes, not uniforms. So a body dressed in civilian clothes may be identified or appear to be a civilian when they are in fact terrorists. The second problem is civilians associating with the terrorists. To relate that to a 'traditional' war, if a civilian is working in a military base that gets attacked, that is no fault of the attackers. They attacked a military target plain and simple. If civilians choose to hang out with the terrorists, they deserve what they get. If I hang out with thugs and the cops raid my home, I deserve what I get, I should've chosen better friends.

ga-hvac-tech
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
This is just my view/opinion:

I think the main line media (read that CBS, ABC, and CNN) have an agenda that says NOTHING the USA does other than be a lackey for the UN is acceptable. Funny though: Foxx News became #1 in viewers for just that reason... :) Go figure...

IMO, the media does NOT speak for the public, they speak for a special interest group. I wonder who that group is??? (No, not just liberals... I would like to follow the money trail and find out who profits and how they profit by the media being liberal).

Would be interesting what would come out of such a search... :eek: