PDA

View Full Version : Requirements For Working on Electrical Systems

meby
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
What do you think the requirements should be for someone working on, maintaining or repairing electrical equipment and systems? What qualifications should they hold?

timebuilder
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
1) Electrical license

2) PPE cert.

Nuclrchiller
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, what about control panels? Factory mounted electrical devices, such as motor starters? Remote mounted starters? Interlocks, such as aux contacts in pump starters, and flow switches? Electrical knowledge is needed, but I don't think a license is. PPE? I would be agreeable to certification being required.

Core_d
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
In ohio u need a pair of wire strippers.

pilotlight
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
No Matter what. you need a Good understanding of Electric theory and the national electrica lcode

timebuilder
02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, what about control panels? Factory mounted electrical devices, such as motor starters? Remote mounted starters? Interlocks, such as aux contacts in pump starters, and flow switches? Electrical knowledge is needed, but I don't think a license is. PPE? I would be agreeable to certification being required.

These things sound like they can be done in a plant under engineering supervision. A license is not needed when that level of supervision is in play.

Nuclrchiller
02-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I should have been more specific, but I was actually thinking of a visiting contractor (an OEM rep) troubleshooting and repairing not only the equipment he reps, but any and all equipment that is associated with it. Such as a chiller and it's associated pumps, ahu's, cooling tower, etc... And many of these are for comfort cooling where there is not even a single maintenance person on staff.

pecmsg
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
And many of these are for comfort cooling where there is not even a single maintenance person on staff.

Sometimes thats a good thing!

timebuilder
02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I should have been more specific, but I was actually thinking of a visiting contractor (an OEM rep) troubleshooting and repairing not only the equipment he reps, but any and all equipment that is associated with it. Such as a chiller and it's associated pumps, ahu's, cooling tower, etc... And many of these are for comfort cooling where there is not even a single maintenance person on staff.

I license is not required in order to work on utilization equipment.

If he has to go into a panel to replace a bolt-in breaker, time for a license.

meby
02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm in favor of the person working on the electrical equipment to hold a license. In fact, I think a national license would solve a lot of problems.

timebuilder
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm in favor of the person working on the electrical equipment to hold a license. In fact, I think a national license would solve a lot of problems.

Perhaps.

But I'm a 10th amendment guy, and I think we need to get every state to have a state license before we ever get to a national license.

Pennsylvania has no state licenses for HVAC or Electrical work.

VTP99
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Perhaps.

Pennsylvania has no state licenses for HVAC or Electrical work.

:eek2: eek do hacks run rampant there ? Not even on new installs ?

timebuilder
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
:eek2: eek do hacks run rampant there ? Not even on new installs ?

In many areas, notably around the three or four larger cities, the local authorities require a permit.

Also:

In 2008, the Pennsylvania Legislature passed the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act. The law requires that all contractors who perform at least $5,000 worth of home improvements per year register with the Attorney General's Office.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/hic.aspx