+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Companys + Hacks + Cheap Chinese Condensers =

Post Likes

Insurance Companys + Hacks + Cheap Chinese Condensers =

I have found a rash of this sort of stuff lately. All of them were insurance jobs and all of them are cheap junk condensers installed by a "guy in an unmarked white van" I am not familiar with the brand, the guy is getting them at a local "supply house" that buys chinese condensers by the train car and then sells them to the public.

The one pictured is a week old. Dry charged unit. Aside from all the terrible installation practices, he brazed it in, opened the valves and walked away. Keep in mind this was a dry charged unit. Needless to say, she is out of commission. Ran for a week strait with a 50psi nitrogen charge in it, no R-22.

Yesterday, not pictured, I found two units in a million dollar house just like this. House was recently purchased after being in foreclosure for a while. The units were both stolen and then replaced with this junk. Still with the factory nitrogen charge in them.

Worst part is the insurance company wont pay to fix the fustercluck
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Post Likes
    At least he installed a drier to dry out the dry nitrogen. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    That was my first thought when I saw the picture too. lol

Post Likes
    The one I ran into was lucky, the installer burnt the control wires so it never ran. I am pretty sure they pop these on when the power is off. Don't ask me how they pass inspections.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.Moore View Post
    The one I ran into was lucky, the installer burnt the control wires so it never ran. I am pretty sure they pop these on when the power is off. Don't ask me how they pass inspections.
    What inspection.......

Post Likes
    Other than the color and the name, it looks exactly like the Ameristar units Ingersol Rand makes, and sells through American Standard dealers.
    They are surprisingly not terrible...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It was on there from the unit that he removed that had a burn out, brazing it back in like that dries it out again so its ok.

Post Likes
    If you could get him on video removing the old ones, there might be a rather hefty pay bonus for you courtesy of the epa...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Other than the color and the name, it looks exactly like the Ameristar units Ingersol Rand makes, and sells through American Standard dealers.
    They are surprisingly not terrible...
    It is the same as ameristar (classy name for a made in china unit), only Trane makes them use a scroll, instead of rotary compressor.

Post Likes
    You mean the ac guy in the unmarked white van was not a straight shooter? aw man just gave him 5k cash down on my new systems

Post Likes
    I highly doubt that a permit was even pulled, let alone an inspection. It needed to be redone anyway because one side is literally touching the side of the house. I think I have figured out who is doing them, but I dont think I could ever get proof of it.

Post Likes
    Hey cut the installer some slack. At least he can braze well enough for it to hold the nitrogen charge for a week.

Post Likes
    Some people have no business touching a AC Unit!

Post Likes
    Market oneself to a higher class clientel.. and leave the cheapskates to hacks.

Folks generally get what they pay for (unless they call the co with the full page add in the phone book).

In GA's opinion... the public needs to learn both of these lessons... either the easy way or the hard way.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    looks like a nordyne brand

Post Likes
    Midea (pronounced May-de) is actually not that bad. The three top Chinese AC manufactures (Haier, Midea, and Gree (pronounced Ge-lee)) have millions of units in service and solid local reputations. Just because it is Chinese doesn't automatically make it a piece of shi*t.

Post Likes
    I noticed the unit you showed is labeled to run R22. These people are really saving money all around on this deal.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

Post Likes
    The fact it is sold to the public gives me a bad taste for it. In reality, its not the unit that is causing my prejudice. Its just like goodman. I groan every time I walk up on a goodman, not because they are poor units, but because they are the preferred brand of many a hack. These Midea units look pretty nice really. They seem well put together and the parts look quality enough. The ones I have seen have swept edge fan blades and scrolls, so they are surprisingly quiet for a cheap unit. But the fact is, they are sold with no thought of brand integrity, to anyone with enough cash in their pocket.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fridgitator View Post
    I noticed the unit you showed is labeled to run R22. These people are really saving money all around on this deal.
    Since they aren't getting any 22, I guess so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1977 View Post
    Midea (pronounced May-de) is actually not that bad. The three top Chinese AC manufactures (Haier, Midea, and Gree (pronounced Ge-lee)) have millions of units in service and solid local reputations. Just because it is Chinese doesn't automatically make it a piece of shi*t.
    I am willing to bet a large chunk of money that this brand is a direct rip off of popular US brand units.

This is how it works.......USA companies have equipment/parts/etc. made in China. The thing is that the Chinese manufacturers end up having every single engineering detail of the equipment/parts, as they need these details to get the stuff into spec to sell in the US market. Then they figure that they can actually make more money ripping off the company that has them make the stuff.....by making the same stuff under their own name brand.....EXACTLY the same as the name brand......just with their own name on it. Can you say "chicago electric"??

LOTS of companies are facing this problem today.......law of unintended consequences I guess.....who woulda figured the largest communist country in the world would embrace capitalism so well!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in