Thread: Need Advise on type of 3 ton condensor to add to existing 13 seer air handler

Post Likes

Need Advise on type of 3 ton condensor to add to existing 13 seer air handler

when I bought my 1600sq ft home in sunny North Florida It had a split 3 ton heat pump( r22 )sytem that included a Trane 13 seer Air handler installed new in 2003 and a 10 seer Snyder General compressor that finally gave up the ghost after almost 25 years of service.Three reasons why I am pretty sure I will keep the air handler and just buy a new condenser is -1. it's in very good condition from what I can see and from what the two hvac contractors that have inspected it have said, 2. where it's placed in the attic would add $ just in additional labor to replace it according to the contractors that quoted me and 3. I don't plan on staying in home more than a couple of more years.

Contractor one recommends a Haier 3 ton r22 .10 yr compressor,5 yr parts and 1 year labor

Contractor two recommends a R-ZZ Eco-temp condensor with 410. 10 yr warranty on compressor ,1 year parts ,2 yr labor

Both about the same price.Contractor two was recommended to me by my brother in law who is a general contractor and house flipper and has been using using him for years.

I prefer to use contractor two because what matters most to me is having it done right the first time and being able to trust the person.

So my question is given this information are:

Am i on the right track deciding to keep existing air handler and just add new condenser?

Any opinions on the Eco temp 13 seer condenser using r410? He said it is their entry level product.

What condenser and refrigerant type would you recommend in this scenario that would be aprox. $ installed ?

Does using a 410 condenser instead of r22 matter as far as comfort and efficiency as long as air handler is compatible?

Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated as i have to decide this weekend because it is friggen hot up in here!

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-22-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Post Likes
    You can change the Txv in the air handler, but a coil that old may not handle the pressures if you wanted to go with 410-a.... if it has a flowrater ( piston ) its only a couple thousands different, than again the evap coil may not handle the pressures...

Post Likes
    Prices are not allowed; edit it, if time has not elapsed, & remove all prices.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supernole View Post
    when I bought my 1600sq ft home in sunny North Florida It had a split 3 ton heat pump( r22 )sytem that included a Trane 13 seer Air handler installed new in 2003 and a 10 seer Snyder General compressor that finally gave up the ghost after almost 25 years of service.Three reasons why I am pretty sure I will keep the air handler and just buy a new condenser is -1. it's in very good condition from what I can see and from what the two hvac contractors that have inspected it have said, 2. where it's placed in the attic would add $ just in additional labor to replace it according to the contractors that quoted me and 3. I don't plan on staying in home more than a couple of more years.

Contractor one recommends a Haier 3 ton r22 .10 yr compressor,5 yr parts and 1 year labor

Contractor two recommends a R-ZZ Eco-temp condensor with 410. 10 yr warranty on compressor ,1 year parts ,2 yr labor

Both about the same price.Contractor two was recommended to me by my brother in law who is a general contractor and house flipper and has been using using him for years.

I prefer to use contractor two because what matters most to me is having it done right the first time and being able to trust the person.

So my question is given this information are:

Am i on the right track deciding to keep existing air handler and just add new condenser?

Any opinions on the Eco temp 13 seer condenser using r410? He said it is their entry level product.

What condenser and refrigerant type would you recommend in this scenario that would be aprox. $ installed ?

Does using a 410 condenser instead of r22 matter as far as comfort and efficiency as long as air handler is compatible?

Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated as i have to decide this weekend because it is friggen hot up in here!

Pricing isn't allowed

I apologize for bringing a dollar amount in to it.Really what I wanted to find out if the basic 3 ton 13 seer Ecotemp condenser is known as a reliable machine if installed correctly and also if there was any recommendations for other basic 3 ton heat pumps condenser.I have never heard of EcoTemp so just looking for input.

Post Likes
    I think they have only been around a few years. may be a private label unit.

Post Likes
    Ecotemp looks like bottom of the line ICP.

Reusing an old coil on a new heat pump is asking for trouble, TXV or not. You can get by with more on straight cool but since heat pumps need less gas and you are using an indoor coil smaller than today's units use, there may be operational difficulties. Do it at your own risk.

Or do it right with a new 410 unit and MATCHED air handler so you get the full capacity, efficiency and dehumidification possible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Ecotemp looks like bottom of the line ICP.

Reusing an old coil on a new heat pump is asking for trouble, TXV or not. You can get by with more on straight cool but since heat pumps need less gas and you are using an indoor coil smaller than today's units use, there may be operational difficulties. Do it at your own risk.

Or do it right with a new 410 unit and MATCHED air handler so you get the full capacity, efficiency and dehumidification possible.

This decision would be much easier if I wasn't planning on being out of this home within 2 years.

So are you saying pretty much you can expect issues if one mix and matches like this ?Even 1 day without my AC sucks.

Is finding a matching used trane 13 seer condenser even a worse idea?

any recommendation on which new 410 matched system in the basic systems to narrow the field down or is it better get more estimates and let the contractor suggest equipment to use for my application?

sorry for all the questions but I have to decide soon.Thanks

Post Likes
    i would replace the complete system as a 10 year old Trane coil could spring a leak at anytime

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob Juliano View Post
    You can change the Txv in the air handler, but a coil that old may not handle the pressures if you wanted to go with 410-a.... if it has a flowrater ( piston ) its only a couple thousands different, than again the evap coil may not handle the pressures...

Are you implying that if I stay with a r-22 condenser this won't be as much of an issue as with the 410 ? The contractor suggesting the r-22 condenser would be using the Haier basic 13 seer system if that makes any difference.

Post Likes
    I don't respond here much , however I just see too many of my customers making the same mistakes like your example. R22 is gone just like your contractor will be after the install. From what I have read and my company has had a lot of experience installing res. I would do this. seek out a solid Goodman dealer. he needs to be a Goodcare dealer and in the a plus Goodman dealer program.

As of today Goodman equipment is just par or so so, however they have the best 5 year warrant thru the factor program going as far as I know . So demand you get a 5 year labor warranty thru Goodman itself not the installer. Now your set up with a 5 year labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty. Ask for that Goodcare warranty # so you will always have control should the installer not service you for some reason.

Forget about matching a heat pump system up with a 10 year old r 22 handler. Think of it this way would you even consider taking a 85 chev transmission and matching it up with a ford f 150 NO of course not. so what makes you think mismatching components is good for hvac???

The reasoning behind what I just said is .

1 You don't plan on being there long 2 years or so

2 5 year labor thru factory is piece of mind

3 A Goodman basic heat pump 410 A system will only be a little bit more then say dropping a condenser in especially if your thinking Carrier or Trane as Goodman Dealers are more known for being competitive

4 A Assure or Goodcare dealer will have financing if needed .

5 If you move in 2 years your home will be more attractive with a new system 410 A in place for the buyer.

My disclaimer is I am not a Goodman sales person my equipment of choice in day/ night like carrier and we just sell a small amount of Goodman stuff now. I have nothing to gain or axe to grind steering you to Goodman. It just seems like a good fit

Post Likes
    #5, good advice

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roncool View Post
    I don't respond here much , however I just see too many of my customers making the same mistakes like your example. R22 is gone just like your contractor will be after the install. From what I have read and my company has had a lot of experience installing res. I would do this. seek out a solid Goodman dealer. he needs to be a Goodcare dealer and in the a plus Goodman dealer program.

As of today Goodman equipment is just par or so so, however they have the best 5 year warrant thru the factor program going as far as I know . So demand you get a 5 year labor warranty thru Goodman itself not the installer. Now your set up with a 5 year labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty. Ask for that Goodcare warranty # so you will always have control should the installer not service you for some reason.

Forget about matching a heat pump system up with a 10 year old r 22 handler. Think of it this way would you even consider taking a 85 chev transmission and matching it up with a ford f 150 NO of course not. so what makes you think mismatching components is good for hvac???

The reasoning behind what I just said is .

1 You don't plan on being there long 2 years or so

2 5 year labor thru factory is piece of mind

3 A Goodman basic heat pump 410 A system will only be a little bit more then say dropping a condenser in especially if your thinking Carrier or Trane as Goodman Dealers are more known for being competitive

4 A Assure or Goodcare dealer will have financing if needed .

5 If you move in 2 years your home will be more attractive with a new system 410 A in place for the buyer.

My disclaimer is I am not a Goodman sales person my equipment of choice in day/ night like carrier and we just sell a small amount of Goodman stuff now. I have nothing to gain or axe to grind steering you to Goodman. It just seems like a good fit

Thanks! although I don't know squat about HVAC that makes economic sense to me if a reputable contractor installs it. On Goodman website http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Default.as...32207&Miles=10 it is easy to identify Goodcare dealers but doesn't saying anything about who is a " plus Goodman " program.BTW I noticed that many of the names listed as Goodcare dealers are very established dealers/contractors in this area. Should I call Goodman and verify or just call some of the dealers and ask if they are a plus Goodman dealer.

Just curious if you dealers/ contractors care when the customer request the brand to be used versus you the contractor recommending the brand.Should I expect some blow-back from the salesman/dealers when requesting the lower cost equipment?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in