+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotsman Prodigy codes

Post Likes

Scotsman Prodigy codes

A customer's ice machine is acting out again. Prodigy series air cooled unit mounted on a soda dispenser/ice bin. The last two errors are code 2, max harvest and code 8, short freeze. The tech literature is not specific as to what triggers these codes Any suggestions?

I have cleaned the machine quarterly for the last 2 years, most recently 3 weeks ago. The only other issues it has had were bun door switch and water inlet valve, both over a year ago.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Post Likes

Cool

check the cube size control if ice too thin will cause both error codes

Post Likes
    Had one doing this last week. Harvest assist solenoid was bad. It was not pushing the ice sheet off the evap during harvest. The ice sheet would not fall on its own and would give the max harvest error. Then the unit would try and freeze another cycle with the previous ice still on the grid touching the ice thickness probe setting it off in to a short freeze error.
    We do it nice cause we do it twice!

Post Likes
    thank you guy for the information, I just fixed one two days ago.

Post Likes
    This one turned out to be dirty sensors. Didn't realize that the metal separates form the plastic on both the water level sensor and ice thickness sensor. You have to get all of the pieces apart ans clean between them. That is what we did Friday, and if it didn't fix the problem, new sensors will be ordered Monday.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

6. Likes trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    #2 is max harvest and 8 is short freeze. This is a HUGE problem with prodigy.the problem is the sheet of ice is splitting in the middle occasionally. This will cause the bottom to fall off and restart the freeze leaving the top on to either touch the cube size control and cause short freeze #8 or ice up causing unit to not harvest properly next time and giving you #2.

Now Scotsman fix for this used to be "just make the cube size bigger" well the cube size is fine and bigger is not better on a dispenser. Now they have a hinged curtain kit if you need the part number let me know.

Even worth the hinged curtain we still get this error occasionally. I hate this machine. But I will have the pleasure of working on them every day.

Edit: service bulletin # ps-7-2010
    Eh222,c0839 c1030 c1448 c1848 pn#a39843-001

Sent from an Amazing 4G device using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thats what i was about to say. I had a C1030 do the same thing. It was the ice thickness sensor and Scotsman had me replace the curtain with the articulated one while i was there.

Also, if you guys ever run into the curtain sticking open, look where the plastic screws to the top of the evap. there are two screws that hold it down and sometimes they loosen up. This causes the curtain to swing a certain way and the one i was working caught the globs of silicone they use to seal the tank. Next thing you know 1 batch get made and the machine indicates bin full.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Good stuff, thanks

Post Likes
    Hi can u give the parts no as I am having same exact issue with ice breaking down the middle

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugehvac View Post
    Hi can u give the parts no as I am having same exact issue with ice breaking down the middle
    That sounds like the cubes are too thin and the harvest assist solenoid is splitting it. Check the ice thickness sensor adjustment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    That sounds like the cubes are too thin and the harvest assist solenoid is splitting it. Check the ice thickness sensor adjustment.
    The cubesheet is probably too thin, but I seriously doubt the harvest assist solenoid is what is breaking the sheet.

I have not really seen this problem very often. The only times I have seen a sheet break it has been because the bridge thickness was far too thin. A few times I have seen a sheet fracture during the last few minutes of freeze and leave the evap as two separate pieces, but this is not common.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    The cubesheet is probably too thin, but I seriously doubt the harvest assist solenoid is what is breaking the sheet.

I have not really seen this problem very often. The only times I have seen a sheet break it has been because the bridge thickness was far too thin. A few times I have seen a sheet fracture during the last few minutes of freeze and leave the evap as two separate pieces, but this is not common.
    ive actually seen this plenty of times. the harvest assist pushes the center out and splits the sheet in two because yes, the bridge is too thin. This can come from someone who "knows ice machines" decides to screw with the factory setting. Also if the evap gets all scummed up it will do this too.

Out of curiosity, if its not the harvest assist breaking it, then what is splitting it in your opinion?

Post Likes
    The harvest assist may very well be splitting it, but only if the sheet bridge is really thin. In that case, the harvest assist isn't the problem obviously.

If the sheet is splitting with a normal bridge, it might be fracturing during freeze and you just aren't noticing it until harvest. I guess is is POSSIBLE for the solenoid to break a normal thickness sheet, but I have never noticed it. Is the solenoid powered from the very beginning of harvest? If so, I wouldn't see it breaking it. If it is energized later in harvest, I could see the sheet sliding a little but off the grid so there is a space between the solenoid push rod and ice so that when the solenoid is finally energized it is allowed to move and slam into the back of the ice sheet.

Post Likes
    The solenoid is energized through harvest and I agree that this would only happen if the sheet is thin. If you read my earlier post, you will see I mentioned checking the adjustment on the ice thickness sensor. If it is too thin then the harvest assist will push and split it down the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Likes
    my suggestion is tell customer you can get him a good Manitowoc to replace his crappy scotsman. code 8 is the most common error code and hardest to correct. poor design on scotsman. i went to training course on the prodigy. when it was over i thought"well im not going to promote this crap will stick with manitowoc" the trainer looked at me and smiled as if he agreed.

17. Likes Mars65 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Reviving an old thread:

My Scotsman Prodigy was randomly shutting off and displaying the flashing "2" code (Max Harvest: Retrying).
    I observed it's operation and noticed the harvest assist pin was not retracting during the freeze cycle.
    Sometimes it would drop ice, others it would not, triggering the code.
    The pin should push out on the ice when the solenoid is energized, and retract via a spring when de-engergized.
    This was not happening.

I ordered the replacement solenoid.

Now for the fun part: I rigged the solenoid up with a thick rubber band which created the same effect as the spring, retracting the pin after harvest.
    Low and behold, it has made ice perfectly for 2 days.

The new part should be in tomorrow.

Thanks for this forum.

19. Likes SanchezHVAC liked this post.
    Post Likes
    New part came today, will install shortly.

Post Likes
    New design, I like it.

Post Likes
    New part arrived today. Mine was NOT involved in the recall.
    New part installed easily and time from harvest begin to end is exactly 45 seconds.
    This is quicker than what I remember it being before.
    New design, works nicely.

I would definitely look at the harvest assist if you are getting the flashing 2 code.

Old part, and new part installed with and without cover:

Trying to post pictures but I don't have enough posts, I'm new.
    I guess it will wait.

Post Likes
    Old part:

New part:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in