+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preparing shark

Post Likes

Preparing shark

I have tried a lot of things to soak shark in to try to get it not to taste like piss and none of them work. I've tried lime, vinegar and water, italion dressing, all with the shark cleaned as soon as it was caught and still it tasted like I was licking the men's room floor of atlanta fulton county stadium. I read that shark can be prepared to taste great, but I have yet to make it. Any advice?
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes
    I have heard that soaking the fillets in buttermilk and soy sauce for at least 3 hours will help. Soaking it in a fairly acidic solution like lemon juice may help also.
    I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

I will defend, to your death, my right to my opinion.

Post Likes
    Milk.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissanse man View Post
    I have tried a lot of things to soak shark in to try to get it not to taste like piss and none of them work. I've tried lime, vinegar and water, italion dressing, all with the shark cleaned as soon as it was caught and still it tasted like I was licking the men's room floor of atlanta fulton county stadium. I read that shark can be prepared to taste great, but I have yet to make it. Any advice?
    Buttermilk or lemon juice for 30 minutes. BUT the key is the timely cleaning of the shark after caught. Like right then and put on ice. Longer you wait the more of the ammonia smell

Post Likes
    Yeah they say milk for deer too but it still tastes like piss to me.
    Quit eating it?

Post Likes
    t and still it tasted like I was licking the men's room floor of atlanta fulton county stadium. I read that shark can be prepared to taste great, but I have yet to make it.

Mmmmmmmm............yummy !!!!!!!!

Sounds like you should put it in a big pot and boil the piss out of it for about a week.

Post Likes

Soak it in "Zesty" Italian dressing for two hours before grilling. This will give it a good flavor and remove a lot of the fishy taste of the Shark. This works good on Mackerel, "King or Spanish".
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]merken1[/FONT]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacbear View Post
    Milk.
    Agree, and clean it quick.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Mmmmmmmm............yummy !!!!!!!!

Sounds like you should put it in a big pot and boil the piss out of it for about a week.

Bwahahahahaha! This should work!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    key limes, most of the shark i have eaten is pretty flaky, gets passed on as chilean sea bass, english fish and chips, tastes pretty good
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Change the milk often.
    Be careful with the insides when you open them up do not puncture them.
    You can nail the head to a stump to clean the shark if it is too hard.
    Apple juice changed frequently may work too if milk is not working for you.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Best place to clean a shark is on the boat. Cut the usable meat off and toss it.

Post Likes
    Having caught plenty and cooked plenty, it does not matter what you do it....milk helps.

(James is right)

A shark does not have a urinary tract, meaning, it pees thru its skin.
    As all things, when it is alive, all is OK, but, when it dies, like all things, the shark urinates.
    So, you must clean the meat as soon as it dies. If you catch one and do not gut it immediately....well....I've tried everything, and it does not work.
    If you get one from the store, and it is fishy or pissy smelling, you know it is old, or it was not handled correctly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in