+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walk In Cooler Equipment Question?

Post Likes

Walk In Cooler Equipment Question?

Hello,
    I am a business owner hiring a technician to setup a used walk in cooler for me. I have a coil and compressor that came with the setup, and another coil and compressor that I already had. I wanted to use the coil I already have because it is a Low Velocity coil, and I was told that would be much better suited for my produce business as it would not dry out my product. However, the technician has told me this coil would be undersized, and recommended I use the older coil (not low velocity) that came with the new setup.

So, my question is, would this coil work for my needs?
    Model: Keeprite R775A (low velocity, 7900 BTU capacity, I believe.)
    Application: 10' x 10' Cooler, fresh produce.
    Ambient Temp: Climate controlled, so temp will be cooler in summer.

Please let me know if you need any other info. I suspect this technician might be trying to find a shortcut (long story short - the LV coil will require my work to setup) and I have my doubts about him due to other interactions.
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I'm not very confident taking his word on this.
    Thanks
    John

Post Likes
    guys like you are my worst nightmare, I can only wish the salesman would hang up the phone when they call, if you know so much about it, why dont you do it yourself?

Post Likes
    Here is the problem most guys will have:
    We install it your way and when it doesn't do what you thought it would, it's our fault.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the....helpful....response?
    I don't know that much about it, that's why I'm here. But, I do have Google and can look up base specs/load size calculations etc.
    Do you think everyone in the field is legitimate, and looking out for their customers? Definitely not. The tech that I'm considering working with here was quite a bit cheaper than others, and I don't have much money to spend. But, I don't want to get screwed over and I'm starting to doubt his credibility (not just because of this.) If he's not looking out for my best interest on this issue, I will go elsewhere.
    As I mentioned, any HELP here would be awesome.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_K View Post
    Here is the problem most guys will have:
    We install it your way and when it doesn't do what you thought it would, it's our fault.
    I can understand the concern. However, I suspect this guy might be just looking for the easiest route. It's all used equipment, so he won't be guaranteeing it either way. Another tech I spoke with advised me that I would need a low velocity coil for my product (all produce) which is really the only reason I'd like to use the LV coil that I already have.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adidas4182 View Post
    The tech that I'm considering working with here was quite a bit cheaper than others, and I don't have much money to spend.
    I'll just touch on this....if you surf thru the aop part of the site you will a lot of times find that the low bid is the low bid for a reason. A lot of times it costs more to use them than it does someone reputable. Most contractors won't touch used equipment with a 10 foot pole, and if they do it will be in writing that they aren't responsible for anything to do with it.

Who told you it had to have a low velocity evaporator? Just curious. Pretty sure I have a lot of produce coolers that aren't considered lv.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I'll just touch on this....if you surf thru the aop part of the site you will a lot of times find that the low bid is the low bid for a reason. A lot of times it costs more to use them than it does someone reputable. Most contractors won't touch used equipment with a 10 foot pole, and if they do it will be in writing that they aren't responsible for anything to do with it.

Who told you it had to have a low velocity evaporator? Just curious. Pretty sure I have a lot of produce coolers that aren't considered lv.
    I guess everyone wants to try to save a buck, but I think you're definitely right here...it may end up costing me more in the long run. I thought I'd throw this question (re: the evap coil) out to see if he's giving me correct info, or just trying to cut corners.
    I obviously don't know much about refrigeration, but another refrigeration tech in my area (Canada) had told me I would want to stick with a low velocity coil, as it would distribute air more evenly and not dry out the produce. Since I already had one, it seemed to make sense to use it - if that was the best fit. Is that not the case?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Just to reiterate my actual question (as I obviously got off track)...
    Would this evap coil suit the application?

Ambient Temp: Climate controlled indoor setup

Post Likes
    Just to reiterate my actual question (as I obviously got off track)...
    Would this evap coil suit the application?

Ambient Temp: Climate controlled indoor setup
    My best advise to you on this issue is have a reputable contractor take a look. Try here for a reputable contractor...
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...Contractor-Map

I know times are lean, lean for all of us. But sometimes saving a buck ends up costing a guy ten. Good luck bud.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    John,

I can only add two things here.

1. It is not easy to give you a yes or no answer about the coil just based on the info you can provide. There is a ridiculous amount of info needed and measurements to be taken before anyone in any of these forums would dare to give you a yes or no answer. After that, even if the answer is "Yes it will work", that does not mean that it will work correctly (how you expect it to) for your application or that you won't be paying through the nose for your utilities.

2. I think that you addressed your other concern already. It sounds to me that you have some serious concerns with this tech. Do yourself a huge favor and pay attention to your own concerns just as much as you do your expenses. If you have had a bad experience with this guy in the past, keep that in mind. If poor work was performed in the past, odds are you will get the same this time. If you still want to consider this tech, check up on him. Ask for references or ask for his certifications, any good tech might feel a little insulted to prove themselves like this but they will be able to provide you with some sort of reputable sources if they are legit and they really care.

That is all I can offer. Just remember, HVAC/R techs might look like hard nosed guys with grease under their nails but the stuff they do is not just turning a wrench and taking a temperature. There is real and complicated science, chemistry and physics involved in these systems. Find a good tech you can trust and then trust them. Odds are you will need them again in the future.

Good luck..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PDImeters View Post
    John,

I can only add two things here.

1. It is not easy to give you a yes or no answer about the coil just based on the info you can provide. There is a ridiculous amount of info needed and measurements to be taken before anyone in any of these forums would dare to give you a yes or no answer. After that, even if the answer is "Yes it will work", that does not mean that it will work correctly (how you expect it to) for your application or that you won't be paying through the nose for your utilities.

2. I think that you addressed your other concern already. It sounds to me that you have some serious concerns with this tech. Do yourself a huge favor and pay attention to your own concerns just as much as you do your expenses. If you have had a bad experience with this guy in the past, keep that in mind. If poor work was performed in the past, odds are you will get the same this time. If you still want to consider this tech, check up on him. Ask for references or ask for his certifications, any good tech might feel a little insulted to prove themselves like this but they will be able to provide you with some sort of reputable sources if they are legit and they really care.

That is all I can offer. Just remember, HVAC/R techs might look like hard nosed guys with grease under their nails but the stuff they do is not just turning a wrench and taking a temperature. There is real and complicated science, chemistry and physics involved in these systems. Find a good tech you can trust and then trust them. Odds are you will need them again in the future.

Good luck..
    X2

Post Likes
    I wanted to use the coil I already have because it is a Low Velocity coil, and I was told that would be much better suited for my produce business as it would not dry out my product.
    This is a true statement because the air is not blown directly on unwrapped produce or flowers. But, a low velocity evap is about twice the cost versus a regular evap. This is the reason (as one poster stated) that most produce coolers do not have them.

However, the technician has told me this coil would be undersized, and recommended I use the older coil (not low velocity) that came with the new setup.
    I would tend to agree with him for a typical 10x10 box

So, my question is, would this coil work for my needs?
    Ambient Temp: Climate controlled, so temp will be cooler in summer.
    A load calculation must be ran on the box to determine the btuh requirements. A tech can get the required information and take it to his preferred supply house for assistance.

Post Likes
    Either I missed it or you didn't mention the condensing unit number or the model number of the coil you didn't want to use.

Also how and howling will the produce be stored ie. boxed for 3-5 days or open for a day or so, also is it mixed produce or one or two specific items

Post Likes
    John here are some things to consider. If you have a used box and used equipment then more than likely is was a good match for you area of the country. LV coils are supposed to be use for high humidity boxes, but there is a way to use a regular coil by running a warm or dry coil. Keeping the superheat higher will get what you need. If you look at the differant specs on that coil model number it will tell your story on how to set it up.
    To change to differant coil that wasn't a factory match we need a lot of info from you.
    Max outdoor amb.
    Type of box
    Wall thickness
    How many doors, windows, lights
    How many times you will be going in and out
    What is the product temp going in
    What is the temp you want to maintain
    How fast you want to bring it down to that temp?
    How much product
    What type of product
    How wet the product is
    Type of floor.

There are several more questions needed to make sure your other coil will work.
    Like I said, maght be better just to stay wit what you got and install it right!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in