+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charcoal or Gas

Post Likes
    I use a Traeger wood pellet grill. The best money I ever spent. You can smoke, or slow cook at what ever temp you set it for and walk away. No baby-sitting. Just turn it on and come back in 10 minutes and its hot and ready to go.

They are limited to around 450° from the factory, so I made a few modifications and now can sear steak at 600 - 700° if I want. And still have enough control to smoke at 180°

I am too lazy to use wood or charcoal, takes too long. But I really like the wood smoke flavor.

Post Likes
    I love my weber gas grill but only use it if time is an issue and I need to get food on the grill fast. I use my charcoal grills when im grilling for flavor. The weber kettle is a great grill and can be used for smoking as well. Check out the -Big Green Egg- if your not on a tight budget. If your just starting out with smoking bbq google -uds smoker- also known as the ugly drum smoker. Its an easy to make, homemade smoker that has proven itself in competition bbq contest. Heres a bbq forum thats worth a look at -bbq-brethren dot com- go to q talk.

Post Likes
    The green egg is one of the best made. 2 or 3 inches of lump charcoal, your choice of what wood flavor you want, and you can smoke all day. You can also raise the temp to sear and cook steaks and burgers quickly. The temperature control is completely amazing once you figure out the fresh air and exhaust dampers. My buddy swears by it and after many many meals and parties over there, I am completely convinced. From a burger, rack of ribs, turkey, fall apart brisket, whatever, the egg can do it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I use a Traeger wood pellet grill. The best money I ever spent. You can smoke, or slow cook at what ever temp you set it for and walk away. No baby-sitting. Just turn it on and come back in 10 minutes and its hot and ready to go.

They are limited to around 450° from the factory, so I made a few modifications and now can sear steak at 600 - 700° if I want. And still have enough control to smoke at 180°

I am too lazy to use wood or charcoal, takes too long. But I really like the wood smoke flavor.
    I would be interested in hearing what kind of mod's you did. I have 2 Traegers, and have never been able to get over 400 deg.
    If you are getting 600-700 deg, do you go through a lot of fire pots? Thanks
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

"Highly efficient equipment and LEED Bldgs are very expensive to maintain in order to keep that efficiency!" ~ Me

Post Likes
    I have a model 070.

I cut the restrictor rod out of the auger, so it feeds more pellets. Also wired in a switch so I can keep the auger running all the time when I grill, since the digital control will not let it go above 450°.

I got grates from grillgrate.com, which btw was the best investment I've ever made. Those grill grates really are everything they say. I would never use any other grill grate no matter what I was grilling with.

I remove the grease drip pan when I want to grill, to get more direct heat on the grates. The baffle above the fire pot got about 20 1/2 inch holes drilled in it to let more direct flame up on the grill grates.

I got my ideas from pelletheads.com. Those guys are top notch when it comes to ideas for pellet grills. They do full testing and reviews with lots of pics if you are looking to buy s new grill.

Post Likes
    It works fine in hot weather, but may have trouble when it gets cold. The next step would be a faster auger gear motor.

Post Likes
    Charcoal or gas? How about both?

I rarely use the gas. Mostly during the wintertime because I can get a more consistent heat while grilling. I also have a Brinkman gas smoker. It's not insulated so smoking during the winter is a PITA. Year round, I found the best results is to smoke for an hour and finish off in the oven. I like a mix of hickory and apple chips for pork. I've attempted to try and smoke fish a # of times and never once been successful.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Charcoal or gas? How about both?

I rarely use the gas. Mostly during the wintertime because I can get a more consistent heat while grilling. I also have a Brinkman gas smoker. It's not insulated so smoking during the winter is a PITA. Year round, I found the best results is to smoke for an hour and finish off in the oven. I like a mix of hickory and apple chips for pork. I've attempted to try and smoke fish a # of times and never once been successful.
    I always finish in the oven. I like to get a couple hours of heavy smoke into the meat to get a nice smoke ring then wrap in foil leaving the ends open, pour fruit juice in(almost any will work but i prefer apple or orange), then close the ends and throw it into a 180 deg oven for as long as I can wait. Let it rest for an hour and its like butter

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347623685.465550.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  88.1 KB snow crab and shrimp on the smoker! First time trying it and it turned out great with apple and cherry wood.

Post Likes
    Mmmmmm. Nice lookin meal right there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in