+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resetting flame roll out

Post Likes

resetting flame roll out

Hope these pics come out if not I will resend them. Went on a call last saturday lady had a contractor out like 3 times within 2 weeks. She called me and I went out there lady explained that she has to keep resetting the flame roll out switch She explained that she mentioned this to other contractor and all they did was replace parts every time they came out. They told her to keep resetting flame roll out switch and to keep calling them back but they were charging her for each time they came back and still wasn't fixing problem. They also said her filter was restricting air flow. As I was watching her burners burn the blower fan came on and was shooting flames back out of furnace here is why and why they said her filter was restricting air flow.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=mrlighturfire;1769725]

they said her filter was restricting air flow.

They were correct, all filters restrict all flow.................

Post Likes
    Thats a nice little crack in the heat exchanger.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes
    The box laying on top of heat exchanger is what I found when I replaced furnace in between the evaporator coil. Wonder why heat exchanger cracked and had poor air flow This was a Lennox 14 years old.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    The box laying on top of heat exchanger is what I found when I replaced furnace in between the evaporator coil. Wonder why heat exchanger cracked and had poor air flow This was a Lennox 14 years old.
    Ah is that one of those new fangled things that keep the heat exchanger from "rattleling"?

That is just sad, that someone would leave something on top of that.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes
    Dang...14 years! Dem lemmox units sure are tough.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Did you send the pictures to the other contractor? lol
    No but I just can't believe the contractor or the tech would just tell her to keep resetting the flame roll out. That should had been a good indication that something is majorly wrong. She said the tech did call his boss a couple of times maybe he is new in the field. But they replaced ignition module and flame sensor and roll out switch. Not sure what HO is going to do about the money they lost. I am going to keep the furnace in my garage for awhile just in case they need hard fact evidence. Not sure if company will reimburse her or not my thoughts are no.

Post Likes
    Send the pictures to whoever may be responsible for giving these goof balls a license to practice hvac work.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Send the pictures to whoever may be responsible for giving these goof balls a license to practice hvac work.

I had a call very similar to this. After I replaced the heat exchanger I brought it up to the previous service company carried it in the door and asked to speak to the service manager. Told him that his service man missed this twice. His response to me was "You can change heat exchangers?". The good news is they refunded the customers money and went out of business 6 months later. This company was the small company of the year by the BBB.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    I'm slow this morning, I don't understand the box picture. You found this contraption in the system? What is it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by powell View Post
    I'm slow this morning, I don't understand the box picture. You found this contraption in the system? What is it?
    Yea the box was left on top of the heat exchanger between the A-coil this is a upflow furnace so this box of parts had been in the system on top heat exchanger for 14 years when the furnace was installed. They have a cheap pleated filter not 3M and her contractors kept passing the bad airflow onto the filter. I am not sure if A/C ever froze up on her or not she never mentioned it. I am calling her today and see how things are working out for her with the new furnace. I take it no one ever checked the A-coil at any time in the 14 years that would explain why A-coil was pretty clean.

Post Likes
    why replace furnace when hx was still under warranty??????

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    well long story short they would had to pay for labor anyways so the county agency got invovled and they said to replace whole furnace and they would pay for it for her. County agency here if there is a crack in heat exchanger if they are paying for it then replace furnace they don't fool around with just replacing heat exchanger anything that is over 14 years old. So county approved me to replace it this past monday and that was what I did. Agency here will help people low income with heating and cooling repairs and furnace replacements that can't afford it on their own so they may go back on this other company not sure how that part is going to work. Agency has a $700.00 repair limit anything over you need to get permission to either replace the parts or just invest in a new furnace. When they have you install a new furnace they prefer a 92% but this was in a finished basement with rooms on each side of mechanical room no drop ceilings all dry wall so no where to run exhaust vents so had to go with 80%. So thats the story here. So HO isn't out really any money I just talked to her and I guess the other problem is being handled. Bottom line agency is paying for furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Damn right! That's ridiculous!

How is it that box didn't catch fire?
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Damn right! That's ridiculous!

How is it that box didn't catch fire?
    That's what I was thinking. Lets see, lets put a something flammable right on top of something we know is going to get really hot. BRILLIANT!
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    That went through my mind also there is not even a scorch mark on it. Only thing I could think of that it was shoved up in the A-coil and wasn't actually on the HX. and when I pulled furnace loose it dropped out of A-coil. Not real sure.

Post Likes
    "Just push that there little button when your furnace quits." It was a tough furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post

X2 why soak your customer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    X2 why soak your customer?
    need to read my post below on why furnace was replaced cos county agency does not believe in HX replacement they would rather replace furnace due to the fact if these people are on the program next year they won't have to worry about paying out any more money since it is under warranty for parts and such other. Most of these people that are on this program are more than likely being returned to this program next year. The county also does Central A/C repair and replace program same as furnace. Customers on this program they do not pay for this county does with grants they get.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in