+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Pumps?

Post Likes

Heat Pumps?

I know that it is standard 400 CFM per ton for residential AC / Heat... What is standard CFM for heat pumps? I have been told by my instructor that 450 is a rule if thumb but I can not find any hard evidence in that. Need some help please!

Post Likes
    MurDoc4, You must be studying at _ School of Ancient History _.

Heat Loss and Heat Gain are expressed in units of BTU/HR.

Heat Loss might be in the range of 0.238 to 0.382 BTU/HR per degree F / Square Feet of floor area.
    _____________ ... ___________ ... _____________________

House might be in Alaska, Cayman Islands or in between
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    2,000 SQ FT

Average
    BTU/HR ___ O.A. Temperature
    24,800 ___ 30'F
    31,000 ___ 20
    37,200 ___ 10
    43,400 ___ 0
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MurDoc04 View Post
    I know that it is standard 400 CFM per ton for residential AC / Heat... What is standard CFM for heat pumps? I have been told by my instructor that 450 is a rule if thumb but I can not find any hard evidence in that. Need some help please!
    The simple answer is 400 cfm per ton... But it really depends on the Sensible Heat Ratio (SHR). The SHR is the ratio between the sensible load (heat gain) and latent load (moisture). Lets say I live in Florida, I might have a high latent load (really humid), I might need my cfm as low as 350. My coil will be colder and will remove more moisture. But lets say I live in Colorado, (really dry) very small latent load, my cfm might be 450. I will have a warmer coil, I don't need the latent capacity. All this can be found in the ACCA Manual S. An A/C dude really needs to understand this. On the heat side I need enough cfm to condense my vapor, 450 cfm might be a little drafty. The right grille selection would fix that... Grille selection can be found in ACCA Manual T. An A/C dude really needs to understand grille selection too, It can make or break the most wonderful of systems.

Thank you,
    Rick Boggs

Post Likes
    the airflow for heat pumps is the same as the air conditioner , a few units have some airflows that are differnt for heat then cool like the new trane hyperions

Post Likes
    There is no general rule of thumb when one is addressing
    use of Inverter technology and Outside Air temperature variations.

Single-speed units ought to go the way of R-22 in the next decade or two.

Post Likes
    I'm being to think my teach is a little out of touch on heat pumps and that irritates me because I'm paying for this school. Thank you fellows for the info.

Post Likes
    Beginning I meant

Post Likes
    Generally it's the same. However for comfort, a lot of mfgs will allow 350-375CFM/ton for heating and cooling for better humidity removal. Carrier seems ot design all of their equipment for about 375CFM/ton nominal. Infinity controls will run down to about 300CFM per ton in high humidity conditions depending on outside air temperature (system capacity). In heating mode, in lower outside temps they will also lower CFM for higher temp rise.

450CFM will give you more capacity and usually more effciency especially in warmer weather. But will impact comfort. You temp rise in colder weather might dorp down to 10F, which makes the system seem drafty unless the ehat strips are on.

As mentioned above, inverters are all over the place depending on the comfort profile selected and indoor and outdoor tmepratures. The bottom end is usually around 300CFM/ton. Belwo that unless its' really cold out or inside you can have high pressure issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    2,000 SQ FT

Average
    BTU/HR ___ O.A. Temperature
    24,800 ___ 30'F
    31,000 ___ 20
    37,200 ___ 10
    43,400 ___ 0
    Huh?

I think he asked about airflow per ton, not heat loss per suqre foot. The "Rule of Thumb" fooled you.

Post Likes
    I had the same problem with instructors at trade school
    the older teacher was the more progressive,
    the younger teacher was stuck on rule of thumb sizing, and
    that heat pumps were crap.
    sure was glad I had the older teacher.

20+ years ago heat pumps didn't work as well as they do
    now. some teachers/techs/hvac company owners are still
    convinced that heat pumps don't work. their loss...but
    you'll learn differently.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    20+ years ago heat pumps didn't work as well as they do
    now. some teachers/techs/hvac company owners are still
    convinced that heat pumps don't work. their loss...but
    you'll learn differently.

best of luck.
    Extruded curved blade registers and terminal velocity make heat pumps a wonderful thing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    Extruded curved blade registers and terminal velocity make heat pumps a wonderful thing.
    http://sanjuanupdate.com/2011/03/ken...egrine-falcon/

http://wn.com/terminal_velocity?orde...ime=this_month

Post Likes
    I'm being to think my teach is a little out of touch on heat pumps and that irritates me because I'm paying for this school. Thank you fellows for the info.
    A few years back there was a thread or 2 about this in the Pro forums. I believe it was Normchris that posted that heat pumps are more efficient at 450 CFM per ton.

Post Likes
    Systems are designed for nominal 400 cfm per ton. The air handler doesn't differentiate between heat and cool modes, and a heat pump is an air conditioner first.

Yes there are some exceptions - carrier built equipment is designed at 350, and one day every system will have a variable speed air handler and an inverter drive compressor, Skynet will become self-aware, and we will all be checking superheat in the matrix. Until then, 400 cfm per ton.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Systems are designed for nominal 400 cfm per ton. The air handler doesn't differentiate between heat and cool modes, and a heat pump is an air conditioner first.

Yes there are some exceptions - carrier built equipment is designed at 350, and one day every system will have a variable speed air handler and an inverter drive compressor, Skynet will become self-aware, and we will all be checking superheat in the matrix. Until then, 400 cfm per ton.
    Many systems are also commonly sized using .1" FR. Doesn't mean its right, its just commonly done.

Post Likes
    Just from this thread I understand more about heat pumps now. I'm still new to this field and I'm slowly learning but I'm getting there.

Post Likes
    I would order Manual S and H from ACCA's website and do a little reading. I just spent the week with the author of these two books ( along with Manual J and D) and believe me he's not into rule of thumbs!

And 400cfm per ton on A/C is also BS.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    I would order Manual S and H from ACCA's website and do a little reading. I just spent the week with the author of these two books ( along with Manual J and D) and believe me he's not into rule of thumbs!

And 400cfm per ton on A/C is also BS.
    RIGHT, 400 CFM/ ton +/-10% is a good observation
    _ and B asic S cience.

Q = 1.08 * CFM * dT
    Q ton = 12,000
    SHR avg 0.75
    Q sensible 9,000 ______ 9,000 ____ 9,000
    dt = ____ 21 ______ 18 ________ 23
    _______ 1.08 ______ 1.08 ______ 1.08
    _ CFM 397 ____ 463 ____ 362

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    RIGHT, 400 CFM/ ton +/-10% is a good observation
    _ and B asic S cience.

Q = 1.08 * CFM * dT
    Q ton = 12,000
    SHR avg 0.75
    Q sensible 9,000 ______ 9,000 ____ 9,000
    dt = ____ 21 ______ 18 ________ 23
    _______ 1.08 ______ 1.08 ______ 1.08
    _ CFM 397 ____ 463 ____ 362
    You would make Hank R proud!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in