+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill Phoenix

Post Likes

Hill Phoenix

(Smart Valve ) anyone servicing these ?

Post Likes
    You mean the Hill Phoenix SMS system.

The Electronic Expansion valve that requires a FREE software download and an outrageously priced USB Dongle to program or communicate with?

The same system that they're installing on their Glycol "semi-self-contained" systems, attaching the controller to the bottom of the drip pan and wondering why they burn out?

Nope.... Never worked on one....... This week....

Whaddya need to know?

Post Likes
    If you service these it would be wise to carry a temp sensor and a pressure transducer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dangpgt97 View Post
    If you service these it would be wise to carry a temp sensor and a pressure transducer.

I'd carry a couple transducers....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'd carry a couple transducers....

Post Likes
    You mean the Hill Phoenix SMS system.

The Electronic Expansion valve that requires a FREE software download and an outrageously priced USB Dongle to program or communicate with?

The same system that they're installing on their Glycol "semi-self-contained" systems, attaching the controller to the bottom of the drip pan and wondering why they burn out?

Nope.... Never worked on one....... This week....

Whaddya need to know?
    Sounds like the same setup. The way I'm seeing it you have to use a IR device that plugs into ones laptop then shoot it at the possessor. This is the only way to reprogram it for a different refrigerant use. That's not what I'm after though. Was just curious if one can troubleshoot the plugins. I know the first thing I need to do with the one I'm working on is to get the outdoor unit on some type of head pressure control. Will these valves hunt like the mechanical valves ? How much is the dongle ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Sounds like the same setup. The way I'm seeing it you have to use a IR device that plugs into ones laptop then shoot it at the possessor. This is the only way to reprogram it for a different refrigerant use. That's not what I'm after though. Was just curious if one can troubleshoot the plugins. I know the first thing I need to do with the one I'm working on is to get the outdoor unit on some type of head pressure control. Will these valves hunt like the mechanical valves ? How much is the dongle ?
    I suppose that wild swings in system operating conditions could make the valve hunt, but under relatively constant conditions, they're TIGHT! They'll run a nice, low superheat and keep it pretty tightly controlled with a minimum of hunting.

My understanding was that the dongle was about $400. I didn't buy it, though.

I suppose that you could troubleshoot these systems by 'guess and golly' but I've found that a laptop and the dongle make it much easier and more accurate.

Post Likes
    I suppose that wild swings in system operating conditions could make the valve hunt, but under relatively constant conditions, they're TIGHT! They'll run a nice, low superheat and keep it pretty tightly controlled with a minimum of hunting.

My understanding was that the dongle was about $400. I didn't buy it, though.

I suppose that you could troubleshoot these systems by 'guess and golly' but I've found that a laptop and the dongle make it much easier and more accurate.
    Thanks jp,
    So it sounds like you got your company to shell out the shillings for you....nice. Unfortunately this cheap a$$ is not going to do that. I'm twisting his arm just to get a fan cycling control on it. I would much rather pipe in a proper head pressure control. This reach-in is using R404a at medium temp. What should the coil temp. be running at ? I was at about 15* if I remember correctly. Hill Phoenix is showing a 6-8* superheat. I was getting a yellow/red led which is a high superheat code. Also the case is on a time clock for time defrost is that necessary ?
    Thanks VTP

Post Likes
    We carry a Q body kit for these gems

Post Likes
    Hill Phoenix and smart don't belong in the same sentence, not even the same thread.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    We carry a Q body kit for these gems
    The thought crossed my mind. But what a shame to waste all that advanced technology.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    Hill Phoenix and smart don't belong in the same sentence, not even the same thread.

You must be a Kysor/Warren or Hussmann guy.

Post Likes
    You must be a Kysor/Warren or Hussmann guy.
    Neither.

It's just, I had recent bad experience with Hill is all.

I like Zero Zone stuff.

Post Likes
    Neither.

I like Zero Zone stuff.
    That Zero Zone stuff is quality for sure. The last one I serviced was built like a tank.

Post Likes
    Almost 100% of the new equipment we're installing is H/P or Barker. I've set up quite a few of these EEVs recently.

Suction temperatures have been moving upwards over the past 10 years or so.

Meat cases used to want to run at 12 degrees SST. Now, I'm setting them at 18-20SST and getting the same or better product holding times. Better designs.

Newer case, I'd start at 18 SST or so, and see where it goes from there.

What I'd do is measure the SH. If it isn't high then I'd either start by replacing the transducer, then the temp sensor OR, I'd do as blackmira suggested and break out the Q kit, IF and ONLY IF, the case is over 12 months old.

Our company got burned on one where a guy did that. H/P rep walked in, looked at the case and said "You modified it, warranty void" Customer made us put an EEV back in the case. Almost all of us carry transducers and sensors. One guy in each region carries a laptop and a dongle.

Lately, I'm tending to agree with Phase Loss. Hill/Phoenix sure ain't all that excellent on the quality side of things. Too many little details that aren't right.

Post Likes
    That Zero Zone stuff is quality for sure. The last one I serviced was built like a tank.

Meh..... I helped out on a startup in a ZZ store.

Neat stuff, smart factory guy, but no more special than anything else I've seen.

Post Likes
    Neither.

I like Zero Zone stuff.
    What happened at Hill Phoenix? And zero zone, oh boy that's some junk...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Icanfixitall View Post
    What happened at Hill Phoenix?
    Have you worked on their stuff???

Post Likes
    I wish the device and assembly also had DA.

Post Likes
    SMS sucks.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in