Thread: fan/compressor problem

Post Likes

fan/compressor problem

I noticed my a/c was not cooling today. Went outside and checked condenser unit. The fan was turning slowly and the compressor wasn't running. I heard a loud buzz and immediately shut off the power. I called the installer ( the unit is about 7 years old) and he said the start/run capacitor was probably bad. I replaced this capacitor about 3 years ago and I know how to do it. He told me to go buy one tomorrow along with a hard start kit. Why would I need a hard start kit? How do I check the capacitor with a multimeter that does have an mfd function? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Your INSTALLER told you to change the cap?
    Really?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    I wouldn't lie to you, REALLY.

Post Likes
    wow..... tell him to change it.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Hot in Alabama these days. Can change myself no problem. Is that a no-no here?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ace065 View Post
    Hot in Alabama these days. Can change myself no problem. Is that a no-no here?
    DIY is against site rules.

While we can't stop you from working on your own unit, we won't offer you assistance, either.

Post Likes
    No problem. I understand your need to not help DIYers. I perfectly understand your need to prey on those homeowners who can perform some of your work and thereby save paying some of your ridiculously high prices. You are the typical people who will pick the brains of others when it comes to auto repair, electrical work, carpentry and even help with your golf game and do not see it as violating your own so-called principles.

So...with the help of my installer, who IMO is in a class higher than any of you, I will personally install the cap myself.

Have a nice day and may there be slimy, slithery creatures waiting for you under the next house you are under. Or should I call a snake handler for you?

Post Likes
    Relax Ace!

No professional here is going to be able to truely diagnose your problem over the Internet and we certainly aren't going to tell you to dig around in the electrical panel of your condenser either, even if you claim to know how!

We've helped plenty if DIYs, even do it at my job, answer questions all day.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Post Likes
    If your installer already told you the problem, why are you here anyways?

What kind of multimeter do you have?
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Post Likes
    He is very busy apparently and , since I had changed out the cap three years ago (with the help of a seasoned hvac guy) I know how to do it. It was his suggestion that I do this myself. I am going to take the old cap to my installers parts supplier and go from there.

I would NEVER try to do something I an not capable of doing. Some things I am confident I can do and this is one of them.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Installer is putting in new condenser unit this weekend. I will be there to help with heavy lifting....nothing else. As a final gesture of my loving support for you hvac guys, after my guy has installed the unit, I will place a large number of C-notes in his warm, sweaty palm.

I pay cash. I know he, as well as all of you would do, will make sure Uncle Sam gets his share.

Post Likes
    Capacitors are very dangerous and can maim or kill. Even I as a professional approach them with great caution. if we as professionals started answering DIY questions; we would open ourselves up to liability issues; not to mention not wanting to be responsible for injury to another person. I don't know you and still I want you to wake up tomorrow in one healthy piece.

Post Likes
    I appreciate your concern, seriously. I will steer clear of exploding caps.

Post Likes
    Installer is putting in new condenser unit this weekend. I will be there to help with heavy lifting....nothing else. As a final gesture of my loving support for you hvac guys, after my guy has installed the unit, I will place a large number of C-notes in his warm, sweaty palm.

I pay cash. I know he, as well as all of you would do, will make sure Uncle Sam gets his share.
    I hope he is also installing a matching 410a coil to go along with that condenser

Post Likes
    Question- How important is matching coil to condenser seer rating? If coil is higher than condenser in seer, what, if any, is different from matching seers?

Post Likes
    Nope cat Installing R22 unit since my coil is just over 4 years old. Don't mind throwing money up a wild hog's a**, but not in this case. And not interested in hearing what a mistake I am making, unless you want to pay for it. Anyway, I am relying on my professional hvac man to lead and guide me down the path of reason and equity. (I kinda like the sound of that.)

Post Likes
    Question- How important is matching coil to condenser seer rating? If coil is higher than condenser in seer, what, if any, is different from matching seers?
    I don't think the evaporator coil determines seer rating. There is no such thing as a 13 Seer or any other efficiency rated indoor coil. Indoor coils do not determine overall efficiency.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I had a new high efficiency furnace and evaporator coil installed almost 5 years ago. At the time, the condenser unit was about 5 years old, so I decided to keep it. It was a 10 seer unit. My installer at that time is also replacing my condenser unit tomorrow and he is the one who told me I have a 13 seer coil. Hence my question about efficiency. How much more efficient will the 13 seer be over the 10 seer?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in