Thread: Considering a new furnace...how to make sense of the choices?

Post Likes

Considering a new furnace...how to make sense of the choices?

Hi everyone.

I have an older furnace that is in good working order, no issues. I can't determine the age, but I would guess older than 20 years. I bought the house about ten years ago, and the furnace has run without a hiccup.

As far as climate zones go, average winter temperature spread is 35 f low, 45 f high, kind of moderate winters. (Tacoma, Washington area)

I'm thinking about upgrading to a more efficient furnace, and want to get more educated before I get contractors out to my house, and start wading through the sales pitches.

Now I'm down to determining what level of efficiency of unit, and which brand.

I'm thinking something along the line of an 80%, two stage unit. Furnace only, no A/C.

Now, with regards to brands, I'm overwhelmed with info, and not all of it positive. I have read about brand x (top level brand), with a history of failing heat exchangers, and another top shelf company with a class action lawsuit against them for quality issues.

I've got a working, (although older and I'm certain less efficient) unit, and am absolutely terrified of "upgrading" my way into some POS furnace that is just one problem after another.

The name brand is worthless if the quality control is questionable, or if service is an issue.

Is there a comprehensive ranking that sorts these companies and models on mean time between failure, or anything like that? (yes, I'm an analysis freak..)

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John01 View Post
    Hi everyone.

I have an older furnace that is in good working order, no issues. I can't determine the age, but I would guess older than 20 years. I bought the house about ten years ago, and the furnace has run without a hiccup.

As far as climate zones go, average winter temperature spread is 35 f low, 45 f high, kind of moderate winters. (Tacoma, Washington area)

I'm thinking about upgrading to a more efficient furnace, and want to get more educated before I get contractors out to my house, and start wading through the sales pitches.

Now I'm down to determining what level of efficiency of unit, and which brand.

I'm thinking something along the line of an 80%, two stage unit. Furnace only, no A/C.

Now, with regards to brands, I'm overwhelmed with info, and not all of it positive. I have read about brand x (top level brand), with a history of failing heat exchangers, and another top shelf company with a class action lawsuit against them for quality issues.

I've got a working, (although older and I'm certain less efficient) unit, and am absolutely terrified of "upgrading" my way into some POS furnace that is just one problem after another.

The name brand is worthless if the quality control is questionable, or if service is an issue.

Is there a comprehensive ranking that sorts these companies and models on mean time between failure, or anything like that? (yes, I'm an analysis freak..)

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks.
    Same thing happens with cars....
    Pick a good installing company and a brand with a good warranty.

Post Likes
    The main thing is not to oversize, otherwise you are throwing your money away on a 2 stage. The idea is the 1st stage won't be able to do the job during design conditions and the 2nd stage will then kick in. Know the size of your current furnace and how much it is on and off each cycle when it gets really cold outside. A 40k furnace will work in a 2000 sqft house down to about a 20 degree outdoor temperature if it's insulated decent and the ductwork is in good shape.

Post Likes
    Depending on the size of your TV, sometimes folks might need to oversize a little.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Twilly says bigger the tv the better. Twilly got modulating tv.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says bigger the tv the better. Twilly got modulating tv.
    Mr Bill got him one of them there 2 stage TV's I can watch Wagon Train and the Lone Ranger at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Mr Bill got him one of them there 2 stage TV's I can watch Wagon Train and the Lone Ranger at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get one like I did, an 80" tri-modulating Sharp Aquos and you can do all that, eat some Gravy Train and watch America's Team at the same time!

Name:  80 inch Sharp Aquos 02.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  18.5 KB
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

Ż`·.¸¸ .·´Ż`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´Ż`·.¸ ¸.·´Ż` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´Ż`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    A heat pump would most likely be your best choice in that climate. If installed, ducted and sealed properly you will get very close to the same output temp as a high efficiency furnace with better efficiency as long as your electric rates are not very high.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    The main thing is not to oversize, otherwise you are throwing your money away on a 2 stage. The idea is the 1st stage won't be able to do the job during design conditions and the 2nd stage will then kick in. Know the size of your current furnace and how much it is on and off each cycle when it gets really cold outside. A 40k furnace will work in a 2000 sqft house down to about a 20 degree outdoor temperature if it's insulated decent and the ductwork is in good shape.
    The existing furnace does not cycle very much, although I have not timed it between cycles, and have not timed how long it runs when on. House is reasonably insulated, about 2500 sq ft. On the furnace data plate, it says input BTU is 123,000. Would that be 123k?

Post Likes
    The existing furnace does not cycle very much, although I have not timed it between cycles, and have not timed how long it runs when on. House is reasonably insulated, about 2500 sq ft. On the furnace data plate, it says input BTU is 123,000. Would that be 123k?
    Yeah, that would be 125 thousand. Way bigger then needed for your climate area.

Post Likes
    40-60K should be good for 2500sqft, have a load calculation done.

Post Likes
    Yes, 123,000 Btu is the same as 123k. It is not the input that matters, but rather the output. If your furnace is an 80% efficient furnace, it's output heating your house is 98,400 Btu, but if your furnace is 95% efficient, you have 116,850 Btu of heat being pumped into your house.

If you are located in a fairly northern part of the world, your furnace may be fine for your application.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    John, I broke this out of the thread so you may get some other opinions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in