Thread: Question on Two Condensors VS. Zoning.

Post Likes

Question on Two Condensors VS. Zoning.

Can someone explain why some people have two condensors so they can have two zones as compared to one condensor and a ZONING system(ie: Hamrony III). What is the difference? THANKS!

Post Likes
    Nobody can explain this?

Post Likes
    it all depends on how cheap the builder is. around here you see both setups, but its rare to see two systems on the newer tract homes. even the two story homes have one unit zoned(very bad idea). i don't think too many builders are willing to spring for two systems especially if they are on the 2500 sq ft margin.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    I would prefer 2 systems vs. a zoning system. If one goes down, I have another one. With zoning, if one goes down. You're screwed. It's also better for us to sell 2 systems vs. 1 system. I would add another whole system if I needed one before adding zoning. I do it for a living as well. JMO. Everybody has one.

Post Likes
    i knew bmathews would get in on this one. he sees the same builders i do, just down the road a bit.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    There isn't a big price difference between having 2 systems, and having one system zoned.
    As earlier. With 2 systems, if one goes down, you still have one working.
    1 system zoned, if it goes down, you have a hot house until the tech gets there, in 2 hours to a day or 2, depending how busy they are.

Post Likes
    You also have twice the compressors, cond motor's, indoor blower motors, line sets, evap coils, cond coils and many other items to fail, and twice the maint.

Post Likes
    Another benifit that I have seen with 2 systems is cost savings in running them. If you have a 4 to 5 ton unit coming on everytime a zone calls for air it is using a lot of energy to run that system for that small space(yes I know about by-passing). If you have 2 -2ton systems when the T-stat calls for air it is only bring on a 2ton unit instead of the 4 ton.

Like anything else Zoning has its place. I prefer the multi-system set up. But, as stated before money and space play a big issue on that.

Intalled correctly Zones work great (key word---correctly)

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    it all depends on how cheap the builder is. around here you see both setups, but its rare to see two systems on the newer tract homes. even the two story homes have one unit zoned(very bad idea). i don't think too many builders are willing to spring for two systems especially if they are on the 2500 sq ft margin.
    What is the 2500 sq ft margin you are referring to and why is a single unit zoned unit a bad idea with a two story home?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    You also have twice the compressors, cond motor's, indoor blower motors, line sets, evap coils, cond coils and many other items to fail, and twice the maint.
    Thats why you should only have kid. If you have 2 or mor. It cost too much to raise them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in