Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AC unit not cooling below 81 degrees

Post Likes

New AC unit not cooling below 81 degrees

I had my York 5 ton R22 replaced with a new 5 ton Byrant 13 seer 410A about 2 weeks ago, and the ac guys had installed a TXV in the attic on the evaporator coil. However, the ac worked ok for about a day and then the inside started to warm up.
    I called them back and they said the evaporator coil was leaking, and I had that replaced by another ac company as the first company was asking to much.
    Still it is not cooling below 81 degrees and ac guys say it's because it's over 100 degrees outside that's why.
    Well, it use to cool down to 72 degrees before in the hot summer with over 100 degrees, so I think they are trying to evade fixing the problem.
    Can any one help or have any suggestion as to what might be wrong?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Something is not right here. You had a system installed 2 weeks ago, and a new coil was leaking? It should have been under warranty. It should not have cost you a dime.
    Doug

Post Likes
    The coil was not new, they had only replaced the outside unit first. The coil was about 6 years old and said it was leaking and needed to be replaced.

Post Likes
    They put a 410 outdoor unit on an old coil but added a TXV? Then someone replaced the 6 year old coil with what?

Post Likes
    Initially the old system was R22 and since they replaced the outside unit with a new 410A they had to change expansion valve on the evaporator coil to accept the new 410A freon

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    They put a 410 outdoor unit on an old coil but added a TXV? Then someone replaced the 6 year old coil with what?

They replaced it with a new 5 ton 13 seer coil 410A

Post Likes

Lightbulb

Well, it's Not a matched system, & it sounds like it is leaking refrigerant.

They ought to put a matching 5-ton R410a coil in, with a new R410a TXV on it...

Post Likes
    Sally, looks to me like you're into a can of worms here.

Why just an outdoor unit? That's no replacing the system, it's replacing a part of the system and mis-mathing the parts. No compatibility between the outdoor unit and the old indoor unit.

I'd recommend the following:

1. Replace the indoor unit in its entirety with a unit that is currently matched to the outdoor unit.
    2. Align yourself a company that will do the job properly. Will this be the cheapest price for the job? Certainly not but you'll get for what you pay and no more. Perhaps you're already finding that out.

I've attached a short document to help you find such a company but I fear you're guided more by price at the sacrifice of value. You steps to this point indicate as much but using the old cliche, cut your losses now and do the job properly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post

They ought to put a matching 5-ton R410a coil in, with a new R410a TXV on it...
    The sight glass indicates clear when the ac is running, so would it be clear if freon was leaking?

The inside and outside are compatible.

Post Likes

They ought to put a matching 5-ton R410a coil in, with a new R410a TXV on
    it...
    The outside and inside units are compatible and also the sight glass is clear not cloudy so I think freon is not leaking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Something is not right here. You had a system installed 2 weeks ago, and a new coil was leaking? It should have been under warranty. It should not have cost you a dime.
    If outside unit was replaced..Inside coil should of been replaced at same time..and posably lineset to connect the two..if feasable..or at least a flush..to match components..

Post Likes
    sounds like your being had by some folks that aren't certified and do not know what they are doing. IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sally1979 View Post
    The outside and inside units are compatible and also the sight glass is clear not cloudy so I think freon is not leaking.
    I thought U stated only the outside unit was replaced.

Also, the evap-coil has to be a certified match; TXV has to be sized right & for R410a.

If that's the case; then okay...

Post Likes
    i'm not quite sure she knows exactly whats going. or what went down. like i said before
    sounds like they see a women and are taking advantage of her.

Post Likes
    I thought U stated only the outside unit was replaced.

Also, the evap-coil has to be a certified match; TXV has to be sized right & for R410a.

If that's the case; then okay...
    Is there anyway I can check to see if they are certified matched?

Thanks

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Post the model number & brand of coil & condenser.

Post Likes
    You need the installing company to do a little better job of providing you with accurate information. If it used to be able to cool down inside then it should be able to do it now.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    how long has this company been around are they certified these ar questions you ned to ask before you hand over money to someone you dont know. and then let into your house. just saying
    Aire Force A/C and heating
    Florida
    since 1988

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Post the model number & brand of coil & condenser.
    Outdoor Unit:Byrant Model#113ANA060-G
    Indoor Coil:AllStyle Model# ASFMG020A31G+5

Post Likes
    8 years old, wonder why such an early failure. How big is home? Can you share a picture of the unit? Particularly return duct work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in