Thread: what info should installers receive before getting on the job?

Post Likes

what info should installers receive before getting on the job?

just wondering what kind of info installers get at other companies. what are you told about the job before you get there. specifcally on a/c changeouts and furnace changeouts.

Post Likes
    Everything we need to know, and usullay everything we need to do the job is loaded up the night before. Occasionally something does get missed, or forgotten. The only supprises are when customers change their mind about something, or want something added, no big deal.

Post Likes
    Actually the best info you could give me would be a few pictures of the old AC and/or furnace. You would be amazed at how much I can pick up from just a picture.

If pictures are not available I didn't need much information. We had pull sheets to get everything for the job together....we also drove a 20 foot box, loaded to the hilt with everything you could possibly need to get the job done.
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    i suggested the whole picture idea but the service guys acted like this was too much of a hassle. i mean they're making commission on the sale and they can't take the time to take a picture. another prob i run into, is when we upgrade a 80% to 90% furnace i never get a possible length to the flue pipe. am i just *****ing and complaining? lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyheel View Post
    i suggested the whole picture idea but the service guys acted like this was too much of a hassle. i mean they're making commission on the sale and they can't take the time to take a picture. another prob i run into, is when we upgrade a 80% to 90% furnace i never get a possible length to the flue pipe. am i just *****ing and complaining? lol

You should get as much info as possible from whoever sold the job.

All of your major material should be assembled into a pile several days before the job begins.(furnace, A/C, coil, pad, lineset, humidifier, stat, air cleaner etc...)

You should have an installation truck stocked to the frigging gills.
    Yea, quit complaining, there are guys in Michigan who want your job!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 05-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Post Likes
    Nah....my guys gave me the same excuse after I brought up the picture idea. Wouldn't want them to strain themselves at all.

Yeah, vent length and exit location along with lineset length. But like I said, I installed out of a box truck so we kept a few hundred feet of pipe and some extra linesets just in case. But it's frustrating because I know they have a tape measure, otherwise they couldn't have done the load calc properly.....but whatever.
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    yeah my truck is loaded. gotta have it loaded never know what you'll run into

Post Likes
    Hell, we barely get a map most times. No clue as to whether the flue will be 10ft. or 80ft. That might be helpful as to loading the van ya know? We'll get cryptic notes like, add return in hallway, upsize duct to accomadate new addition, re-route lineset. Then if I call the estimater, if he remembers the home, he usually says, "oh just make it look OK", or "we didn't talk about that", or "just ask the homeowner", or "that'll be T&M", or some brilliant words of wisdom. So I end up doing half of his job as well as mine. If you get any help before going to a job, consider yourself fortunate....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Hell, we barely get a map most times. No clue as to whether the flue will be 10ft. or 80ft. That might be helpful as to loading the van ya know? We'll get cryptic notes like, add return in hallway, upsize duct to accomadate new addition, re-route lineset. Then if I call the estimater, if he remembers the home, he usually says, "oh just make it look OK", or "we didn't talk about that", or "just ask the homeowner", or "that'll be T&M", or some brilliant words of wisdom. So I end up doing half of his job as well as mine. If you get any help before going to a job, consider yourself fortunate....
    My guys would kill me if I did that to them!

Post Likes
    yeah i probably don't have it that bad, i do have GPS in my truck. gotta love the salesman though, just showm da money.

Post Likes

Interesting thread

This is a question I have wondered about for some time, but from a slightly different perspective.

Specifically, as a prospecive customer, I asked a salesman how the information he had transcribed, plus my wants and needs, would be conveyed to the installation crew. I never did get a good answer

What prompted my question was that after interviewing multiple sales reps, and getting mostly negative vibes, I felt insecure as to the final result (installation).

Well, I finally found a contractor in whom I have complete trust that I will achieve the desired result. He is the owner of a small company (5 service vehicles) and is running up to 2 weeks lead time on replacement installations.

We have had multiple conversations relating to my upcoming job and he will be supervising the crew.

AM

Post Likes

what is needed before job?

You should have a material list.
    you should get any detail issues salesman has discussed.
    map of basement. ( where linesets are going and out door unit)
    and have salesmen number or supervisors.
    The rest should everyday items that you will have to figure out.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Twilli says watch out for camera's in the customers home
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    i learned sign language to get around the hidden microphones!

Post Likes
    mostly i just sign to myself though

Post Likes

Don't use sink as urinal

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

You can use the the laundry tub, but just make sure there isn't a chicken or turkey thawing out.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Just reminds me of the days when i did changouts.. i ask the tech or who ever sold the furnace or so what size flue pipes or there and he says .. oh i didnt look or i forgot.. all they see is the commision check and really dont care or how hard it is to chage out.. they make more money selling it than i make putting it in...

ryan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

LOL......did you see that thread where a guy posted here the live camera link to the installers in his basement?

Lasted like 1 microsecond after we found it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in