Thread: Condenser Fan Has Stopped

Post Likes

Condenser Fan Has Stopped

Hi Pros !

I have a 20 year old Bryant split system: evaporator coil in the attic, condenser unit outside. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed "not as cool" air coming from the registers. I could hear the blower inside still running, but walked outside and observed that the condenser fan had stopped. I then shut down the power at the thermostat, waited about 10 minutes, then turned it back on. Still no fan movement, but the compressor was working and unit was heating up quickly. So, power off ! 5 years ago, a similar incident resulted in replacing the capacitor (noted on the invoice as a dual circuit running phase shifter). My questions: 1) What is the normal life of a fan motor? 2) What is the normal life of a capacitor ? I'm calling a contractor within the next day or so.

All feedback is appreciated, thanks !

Post Likes
    There are only two guarantees in life, you are born, and you are going to die, that's it.

No such thing as "normal life" in anything.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    IMO, you can't quote an average life-span of a fan motor or a capacitor because I've seen tremendous differences in their life-spans.

I always only carried 440 volt capacitors with a variation of MFD Ratings; less inventory to cover the various MFD Ratings.

The 440's sub for 370-volt capacitors because they simply have a higher insulation factor with which to withstand higher voltages.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    IMO, you can't quote an average life-span of a fan motor or a capacitor because I've seen tremendous differences in their life-spans.

The 440's sub for 370-volt capacitors because they simply have a higher insulation factor with which to withstand higher voltages.
    I have not seen any differences betweeen the 440s and the 370s life spans, they go out just the same.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    I would think the fan motor is past a normal life ,as for capacitors the cheap china crap that is widly used dont last .also at 20 yrs might be time to look for something thatnis more efficient

Post Likes
    Thanks Guys,

I'll let you know what the contractor discovers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedGuy50 View Post
    ............5 years ago, a similar incident resulted in replacing the capacitor (noted on the invoice as a dual circuit running phase shifter).............
    Now that's funny right there.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yunggun View Post
    Make sure whoever changes the capacitor
    You're fixing to get 50 whacks with a wet noodle.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-26-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quote of non Pro * member
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    yunggun, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Good Morning Pros,

Problem solved: contractor diagnosed bad capacitor and replaced. Yes Catmanacman, capacitor made by our Chinese brothers and sisters. He said these are liquid filled but there are other more expensive types that last longer. I'm glad of course that the fan is OK as the cost for the visit would have doubled. I'll search the threads for capacitor 101 basics. Service call by the tech was worth it----temp will exceed 100 degrees today and this weekend in the Southeast.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in