Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 stage vs 2 stage unit, (houston area)

Post Likes

1 stage vs 2 stage unit, (houston area)

folks need a little help

1. what is the diffence btween a 1 stage and a 2 stage unit.

2. which one would benefit better in houston home

3. any other item that is must need for houston weather

and yes i am in the mkt for a new units, compressr is abt to kick the bucket (5ton) in one of the units
    house built 1999
    city houston
    3200 sq ft
    electric rate .117
    carrier 5 ton and 3 ton
    guess seer was 10 now 7 mayb

thinkin of replacing something with along the lines 14-16 seer (cuz cost to saving ratio) is a lost cause never recoupe the cost of the units to see actually saving

also could anyone recommend hvac for west houston

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Cuctomers here in humid Florida love the two stage units,as they do a great job of reducing the indoor humidity level.

They can run at reduced cfms(air flow),to remove more humidity,plus in low stage the run longer,further reducing the humidity.Longer run,is in low stage so it costs less then high stage,per hour.

Great controls like Carrier Infinity are available to reduce humidity,so regardless of brand be sure to get the best control they have to control/reduce humidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post

Great controls like Carrier Infinity are available to reduce humidity,so regardless of brand be sure to get the best control they have to control/reduce humidity.
    ok thks, nxt question is thr a min level one should look for in a control, meaning how can i tell one control from another

Post Likes
    If your getting a 2 stage that isn't a Carrier Infinity.
    Then the Honeywell IAQ thermostat.

Post Likes
    There are two companies I have worked with as a customer, that serve the West Houston area. One is a large company named Absolute Comfort. Another is a one man business called Addicks Air and Heat. There is also a guy on this board named Al Fowler (Aire-Serv of W. Houston?) who seems to have a lot of knowledge based on his posts.

I am glad I got a 2-stage system but if money were tighter would be fine with one of the higher efficiency 1-stage systems. In any case would get a variable speed air handler to enable some of the better approaches to humidity control.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Post Likes
    Two stage is the way to go. Thats what I recommend to all my customers. A two stage unit is great for dehumidification in Houston. The only system better in my opinion would be a Frigidaire IQ Drive.

Post Likes
    hey thks

any other TIPS u can pass along to help whn i get these proposals

Post Likes

buying new HVAC

I live in Kansas city,Mo I need to get new system. the a-coil has been leaking Which is better Trane, carrier, Heil or amana. Help my head is spinning

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evahusted77 View Post
    I need to get new system. the a-coil has been leaking Which is better Trane, carrier, Heil or amana. Help my head is spinning
    I would be more concerned about,

Installation-Warranty-Price-Manufacture, in that order, if price is not a concern, well then, Installation-Warranty-Manufacture.

Post Likes
    another question what r is done to determine a load calculation

Post Likes

Post Likes
    next how much might it run me to have one of these load calculation done by a outside company

or is this done by the hvac company

Post Likes
    We don't talk prices here, please read the rules.

Your HVAC contractor should be able to do a load calc.

If not, keep calling until you find one that does them.

Post Likes
    Gill 2-stage is the best option for Houston but may not be the answer you are looking for. The most important thing is go with a variable speed furnace.

If you have a home built in 1999 in Houston and you have 8-tons on 3200 sq.ft. unless you have a great deal of western glass you are oversized.

The main thing you need in Houston is a tight duct system, sufficient return air capacity and proper attic insulation and ventilation, there are many companies that are getting into attic insulation now and they go overboard and create more problems than they cure.

First start with a properly performed load calculation not one performed to prove out the contractors equipment choice.

Depending on the layout of your home you may be an excellent choice for a single zoned system instead of two systems.

Remember the value of a system is in the install and the thought that goes into the design of that system not hyperbole or low price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    There are two companies I have worked with as a customer, that serve the West Houston area. One is a large company named Absolute Comfort. Another is a one man business called Addicks Air and Heat. There is also a guy on this board named Al Fowler (Aire-Serv of W. Houston?) who seems to have a lot of knowledge based on his posts.

I am glad I got a 2-stage system but if money were tighter would be fine with one of the higher efficiency 1-stage systems. In any case would get a variable speed air handler to enable some of the better approaches to humidity control.

Hope this helps -- Pstu
    OK now I understand a few things!

I am no longer AireServ fired them about 6-months back!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gil_bo View Post
    another question what r is done to determine a load calculation
    I have a computer program to run heat loads with. Any good contractor should be able to run a load on yer house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Gill 2-stage is the best option for Houston but may not be the answer you are looking for. The most important thing is go with a variable speed furnace.

If you have a home built in 1999 in Houston and you have 8-tons on 3200 sq.ft. unless you have a great deal of western glass you are oversized.

The main thing you need in Houston is a tight duct system, sufficient return air capacity and proper attic insulation and ventilation, there are many companies that are getting into attic insulation now and they go overboard and create more problems than they cure.

First start with a properly performed load calculation not one performed to prove out the contractors equipment choice.

Depending on the layout of your home you may be an excellent choice for a single zoned system instead of two systems.

Remember the value of a system is in the install and the thought that goes into the design of that system not hyperbole or low price.

my neighborhood unfortunately hasnt been around long enough, to have trees big enough for aid in shading, my house faces south, with a 2 story entry,and bcuz of that alot of heat comes through the entryway glass above the door and 31 windows

Post Likes
    Gil_bo, if you are at all considering solar screens for shading they are inexpensive and could affect sizing of your replacement AC. They were quite effective helping a room in my house which got too warm due to east windows. If you are going to do it, then do it before your final load calc, rather than after. Same goes for other energy improvements you plan to make.

It is east and west exposure which is worst case for windows. If it were up to me the major window area would be north and south. I wouldn't feel too bad about your south orientation, as summer comes the sun will be more and more indirect on those windows. In the winter some argue that you benefit from solar heating via the lower sun.

Of the three AC companies I mentioned, Classical/Al/ex-AirServe is likely to have the most skilled technician. You might ask him to inspect your house and give some advice. Seeing as it *might* steer you toward the right AC sizing, that consulting should be worth a pretty penny to you.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Post Likes
    Gil_bo, if you are at all considering solar screens for shading they are inexpensive and could affect sizing of your replacement AC. They were quite effective helping a room in my house which got too warm due to east windows. If you are going to do it, then do it before your final load calc, rather than after. Same goes for other energy improvements you plan to make.

It is east and west exposure which is worst case for windows. If it were up to me the major window area would be north and south. I wouldn't feel too bad about your south orientation, as summer comes the sun will be more and more indirect on those windows. In the winter some argue that you benefit from solar heating via the lower sun.

Of the three AC companies I mentioned, Classical/Al/ex-AirServe is likely to have the most skilled technician. You might ask him to inspect your house and give some advice. Seeing as it *might* steer you toward the right AC sizing, that consulting should be worth a pretty penny to you.

Best of luck -- Pstu
    You are absolutely correct about the declination of the windows and solar screen, you need to check with your HOA about the screen. There are other options as well like Awnings or other types of overhangs.

You best option always is thoughtful consideration of what can first be done to improve the homes envelope in conjunction with the HVAC. Do you have sufficient attic ventilation, are your soffit vents open and clear. I cannot tell you how many times that I have pulled soffit vent covers off to find the opening either block, not cut out or only partially cut out. Do you have ridge vents or turbines, do you have a lot of can lights. These are the things you need to consider so you have the best envelope to install that new A/C in.

You may have heard a local contractor offering the moon, is offering big discounts on systems, 20 inches of insulation blown in, tax credits and others things. If in Houston you blow in 20" you will be causing serious problems with your house and to put that much on top is even worse. Also most of the equipment match ups for the tax credit are very poor options for the Houston climate, the evap. coils are too large and the blowers are too big. They will deliver very poor latent capacity and will result in higher bills and poor comfort.

Post Likes

Best of luck -- Pstu
    i already hve solar screen on the west side windows

thks, i will give them a call

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in