+ Reply to Thread

Thread: combustion analyzer testing

Post Likes

combustion analyzer testing

So I use a combustion analyzer to determine cracks in heat exchanger and other tests. The people I work with and talked to other service techs and no one in my area uses them. I am thinking your crazy for not using one. Oh well one up for me I guess.

Post Likes
    Good job. Now start using it to properly tune any appliance you touch.

A good class to take is @ NCI by Jim Davis.

www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com

Post Likes
    I wish mine would get sent back already, I thought you died gravity, been gone awhile lol!

Post Likes
    Does anyone regularly check their combustion analyzers with calibration gas? I just pegged my analyzer when I looked away to answer customer on blower motor change. Found bad regulator in gas valve causing over firing. Just ordered calibration gas and will now check it often.

Post Likes
    I was doing 2 c&c on 2 furnaces a couple of weeks ago, both goodman furnaces. I found cracked hx on both furnaces (visual) so I fired up my 327 to see how they were operating. Furnace #1 had rising CO so I shut it down and disabled it. Furnace #2 had stable CO under 60ppm so I left it in operation and advised the customer that both HX needed to be replaced. I would not have know the difference without my CA as they both looked the same as far as flame apperance.

Post Likes
    Didn't red tag it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectionist View Post
    I was doing 2 c&c on 2 furnaces a couple of weeks ago, both goodman furnaces. I found cracked hx on both furnaces (visual) so I fired up my 327 to see how they were operating. Furnace #1 had rising CO so I shut it down and disabled it. Furnace #2 had stable CO under 60ppm so I left it in operation and advised the customer that both HX needed to be replaced. I would not have know the difference without my CA as they both looked the same as far as flame apperance.
    Bad idea leaving a cracked HX in operation.

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zibby View Post
    Didn't red tag it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony3696 View Post
    Bad idea leaving a cracked HX in operation.
    Tricky call...

Best is to tag ALL questionable appliances.

Sometimes circumstances warrant different actions.

Each of us has to make the decision.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Next time, tag it. Note that you left it turned off on your invoice. But leave it in a condition that the customer can restart the furnace if they want.

Post Likes
    This is a special situation where my mother ownes an appartment building so if I tell them the furnace needs repair they will authorize the repair. I have two new HX on the truck but have not been able to do the work yet due to a back injury. Also if the second furnace was unstable or if it had high CO i would have disabled it also. These are goodman 80% not that it matters much a cracked hx is a cracked hx.

Post Likes
    I would be VERY careful with bending safety requirements on bad HXE's... one could cause something they do not want on their conscious for the rest of their lives... like a CO poisoning issue.

Having said that: A combustion analyzer will tell a lot more than a visual inspection. This one is a tuff call.

Personally, I think I would have provided a few elec space heaters and tagged it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in