Thread: Did they wire the tstat correctly?

Post Likes

Did they wire the tstat correctly?

Hi,

I was double-checking the installer's work (they have a little more to do tomorrow until they're finished; installing a new HP and AH) and noticed that they didn't pull a new thermostat wire bundle.

Originally, I had a single-speed blower and I've since upgraded to a Carrier variable-speed (FV4) along with the Edge thermostat. From what I can gather in the Edge installation instructions, you're "supposed" to have wire running to D1/D2. I don't, since the old thermostat wire bundle doesn't have enough extra wires.

In the thermostat to fan coil wiring diagram, it looks like you can jumper D1 to R (on the fan coil side) and then jumper R to DH (again, on the fan coil side). However, there is a note to "remove [that] jumper for dehumidify modes". The diagram also shows a connection from D2 to DH (fan coil side).

See this PDF, page 68, for the diagram I'm looking at: http://www.favret.com/pdf_files/ther...si_install.pdf

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me like they really need to pull a new tstat wire bundle so D2 can be wired to the thermostat. Otherwise, I guess I'm losing out on the dehumidify-on-demand functionality that I paid for. Do the experts agree?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Maybe they are waiting until tomorrow if they are, I sometimes make it things work until I finish the next day, I would just ask them, that would be the simplest thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yeah, I'll ask, but my only concern is that these are pretty young guys, and seem to want to get in and out, so they'd be likely to hem and haw in order to get out of pulling a new wire. I would think the first thing you would do before wiring up the tstat is to make sure there actually _are_ enough wires available. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Ask them to clearly explain all the options of the system and the thermostat.
    If they can't do that, you may have hired the wrong guy.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    The Edge t-stat can be installed using a two-wire connection.

Post Likes
    I second that
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

Post Likes
    That is your dehumidify on demand function it has to be wired up and turned on to work .i am a big fan of this function although many installers dont hook it up

Post Likes
    It sounds like they may doing a "one piece" installation of the thermostat with the equipment control module used as a sub base for the display.
    Nothing wrong with that, but to avoid having to pull a new thermostat wire, the thermostat can be installed as 2 pieces with the control module mounted at the equipment, with a 2 wire connection between it and the display on the wall.

Post Likes
    Oh, you can do that? Neat, I'll run that idea by them. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xienze View Post
    Oh, you can do that? Neat, I'll run that idea by them. Thanks!
    The instructions for it start on page 12 of the PDF file you linked.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in