Thread: Getting New System - Trane OR Bryant??

Post Likes

Question Getting New System - Trane OR Bryant??

After 3 years in our home (one-story) with inadequate uneven cooling and uncomfortable uneven heating - we are looking at getting a whole new system along with some duct work adjustments and a damper system. I live in a North Dallas, TX suburb. The new system products quoted by installer:

Option 1-
    Trane 3.5 Ton SR15 Condenser
    Trane SV80 Variable speed Furnace

Options 2-
    Bryant 3.5 Ton Legacy Condenser
    Bryant Evolution 2-stage Furnace

So are these products generally long-lasting and reliable? If not, what products would you prefer? This is a really big expense for us so any advice and opinions are welcome.

-------------------------------------------------

Other Info:
    The current Rheem gas furnace is 17 years old
    The current 3-ton Trane AC unit is only 7 years old (no permit by installers with city) - has a leaking coil that is under warranty. Also, my tech is telling me that this was an undersized unit according to his heat load analysis.

I'm having another company do an analysis and quote tomorrow. Both companies are certified by TRANE. Both are in my town (one here 20 years the other 10 years) and licensed.

Post Likes
    I think on the Choo Choo you have your X and your S mixed up! XR and XV.

Either one would be fine with a good control. Evolution on the Bryant and something like a Vision Pro IAQ, Prestige IAQ or the competition.

Hopefully the duct work adjustments are enlargements as we usually find the ducts in a home are undersized for what you have let alone going bigger. By dampers, are these manual or going to an automatic zoning system?

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I think on the Choo Choo you have your X and your S mixed up! XR and XV.

Either one would be fine with a good control. Evolution on the Bryant and something like a Vision Pro IAQ, Prestige IAQ or the competition.

Hopefully the duct work adjustments are enlargements as we usually find the ducts in a home are undersized for what you have let alone going bigger. By dampers, are these manual or going to an automatic zoning system?
    Yes, sorry about my 'S' mix up. You are right I meant - Trane XR15 condenser and XV80 furnace.

Also, yes on duct enlargement - bigger ducts in the east facing master bedroom and west facing bedroom (used as a home office) and a return added to the master bedroom. These rooms especially the west facing home office get really hot in the summer even when the living/dining/kitchen (open floor plan) is cold.

The dampers are manual (I think). The house is only 1575 sq. feet single story. But we do have 11' cathedral ceilings in all but one bedroom and a hall bath. Should it be a zoned system? I've had that when our house was bigger in another city.

Post Likes
    One story less likely to be zoned than 2 story. Manual dampers are nice. 3.5 tons for 1575 sq ft even for Dallas seems high.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in