Thread: Is there anything I can do about this?

Post Likes

Is there anything I can do about this?

At my work (large high school) 2 conjoining rooms share a common A/C / furnace. The A/C is a 4T Trane (last of the R-22's and we got it on the cheap) and it was installed in April. The previous unit was a 4T Trane. These unit have supplied conditioned air to about 1800 ft2 between the 2 rooms.

The AH was put in when the building was constructed in 1993. The blower and the inside of the AH is filthy. Still, it keeps on going. The problem is w/humidity. If you leave it set on 76-78* like the electricity usage Nazis command, the rooms stays as humid as a jungle, you have to cut the t-stat down to a crisp 72* for the rooms to dehumidify and of course they're as cold as heck.

Another thing that exacerbates this, is that state law says that a damper has to be open to let in a % of fresh (read humid) air. I understand this b/c of potential CO emissions. Still, this does not help me. Papers curl, flooring buckles, girl's hair frizzes, and its a real b**** to put up with.

Short of buying a dehumidifier (at my own expense, mind you) what can I do about an obvious stupid install????

Thanks once again
    Rom

Post Likes
    Having the air handler thoroughly cleaned is a great place to start. If it is plugged up with dirt/dust, it can't move as much air as it should. Not moving as much air as it should means not enough air volume of the room passes over the cooling coil to be cooled and dehumidified. Dirt/dust on the cooling coil itself acts as an insulator, preventing the cooling coil from removing as much sensible and latent (moisure) heat as it could.

Clean 'er up and let 'er rip at 75^F, and see what happens.

Post Likes
    Besides the cleaning.
    The blower can set to low speed to help some.
    Also, a some what more restrictive air filter may help slow the air down, if the school won't slow the blower.

Post Likes
    You can start by having the blowers/ airhandler cleaned out and properly checked. I'm all too aware of today's OA requirements, which at 15 cfm/ person can add a large latent load on the system. The 4 ton sounds too small for the application, as it should be a staged system also to provide humidity removal. We also put sensors on our systems to open the O/a dampers only when the rooms were occupied....we used motion detectors w/ a time delay board.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Show the unit to a parent. email maintenence.

Post Likes
    New Trane on an air handler from '93? Both 10 SEER?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    How is the fresh air connected?What size duct,is it filtered?

Is there an exhaust fan to pull fresh air in?

We have seen some jobs that were getting three times the fresh air needed,due to the setup.

Fan speed needs to be set,by testing of some kind,static and fan chart is one way.

Post Likes

Got THAT ONE taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Besides the cleaning.
    The blower can set to low speed to help some.
    Also, a some what more restrictive air filter may help slow the air down, if the school won't slow the blower.
    but that's wasn't y MO to do that. I bought (again at my own expense) 3M Filtrete Maximum Allergen (the 20 buck kind at HD) mainly b/c this thing spews dust thru the near-invisible filters the janitorial staff installs.

Thanx Been, glad to that I might have helped my situation w/out meaning to.

Post Likes

Whoa

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Show the unit to a parent. email maintenence.
    That's a friggin good idea.

Post Likes

Yep and

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    New Trane on an air handler from '93? Both 10 SEER?
    Yep. Our school system spares no expenses, we deaux things right-----the 3rd time!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    but that's wasn't y MO to do that. I bought (again at my own expense) 3M Filtrete Maximum Allergen (the 20 buck kind at HD) mainly b/c this thing spews dust thru the near-invisible filters the janitorial staff installs.

Thanx Been, glad to that I might have helped my situation w/out meaning to.
    That all depends on where the filter is in relation to the fresh air intake.

Post Likes

Lets see.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    How is the fresh air connected?What size duct,is it filtered?

Is there an exhaust fan to pull fresh air in?

We have seen some jobs that were getting three times the fresh air needed,due to the setup.

Fan speed needs to be set,by testing of some kind,static and fan chart is one way.
    Fresh comes thur an open damper under the AH, it doesn't have its own filter but is combined w/the return air from the rooms

No exhaust fan, I THINK the blower pulls in the fresh air too. Not sure.

Good Q's I'll run 'em by maintenance

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    Fresh comes thur an open damper under the AH, it doesn't have its own filter but is combined w/the return air from the rooms

No exhaust fan, I THINK the blower pulls in the fresh air too. Not sure.

Good Q's I'll run 'em by maintenance
    Where is the filter,in the unit or at a return grille??

Post Likes

OK

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Where is the filter,in the unit or at a return grille??
    The filter is inside the AH

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in