+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SMAN or Testo?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    From what I have seen of hvac colleagues who own Digi Cools, they seem like toys compared to other digitals

I have a friend who is 64 years old who refers to them as Clown Gauges because to him they look toys (his words, not mine),
    but i think I should mention he won't use anything but analogs.
    But he is a great insinuative trouble shooter so he is not some no-talent hack. So his comments do carry weight.

I also find it hard to accept all the high praise that Digi Cools get, and at the same time the owners ARE NOT complaining about the temp clamp mods they made 'cause they don't like the Velcro temp probes.
    And it's been pointed out these clamp mods have caused compromised reading and again we have seen no complaints from the those who have modified their Digi Cools.

The worst criticism of competitive digitals are from the the Diggi Cool owners who over look the short comings of the clamp mods they have made. I don't get that.

Would somebody please explain that to me?
    I did mod my sensors to Cooper 4011's There is no short coming of this mod. In fact IMO it may be the best available for us on the market today. They are a little better than the testo clamps and miles ahead of the Fieldpiece clamps. The only one I used that was better is no longer made by testo anymore due to premature failure and cost. If I did not do this mod I would have been a-ok with the stock Velcro sensors with the Velcro torn off. FWIW I have busted DC's balls about glueing the sensor to the velcro strap on multiple occasions. I have not heard one person say they like the sensor glued on the velcro strap. I say send the sensor out with nothing on it and ship the velcro or zip tie on the side. This is how most sensors come for most all control boards and other hvac related controls. Since another thread I been called unprofessional for some pictures I posted so I put one in my profile album of another gauge your Friend might like
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    I just ordered my DC AK900
    But I want a clamp on with it.
    I'm not sure if I want to get that Velcro strap sensor.
    Why can't they just make a clamp on with it?
    It seems like the demand is there.

It will suck when I get the DC on Monday with some sensors I can't used.
    The regular velcro straps are junk. The stretchy ones are decent but ive only used them twice. I also did the mod to the dc style clamps which are a little pricey but its a good mod. I used the 1/8 jacks. Be prepared the wires are brittle so you have to handle them carefully when using or storing them. The drsa itself seems to be pretty solid.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettgetsmwet04 View Post
    the problem with all digital gauges is the temp clamps or straps.

between all the guys i work with we have many sets of all the various types, i own the sman 3 and testo 550.

i use my sman 3 all the time, two issues with them, one was the high side valve not letting me recover froen, got the new valves and havent had a problem at all this summer, the second is the need for new clamps every year, seems with daily use on average the clamps will eventually wear out and u will have to replace them yearly, i dont mind, i get my boss to buy me new ones.

the testo 550 has the same issue with the clamps, but i didnt even get threw one summer with the wires.

thats always gonna be the weak point with any digital set, if someone would just make a extremely heavy duty silicone wire that can be pulled on and not break they would sell like hot cakes, ill pay good money if i can get a good set with temp clamps i dont have to baby or modify.

but i love the accuracy of digital, so i will deal with the shortcomings for now, ill buy the ak 900 here in a couple weeks, i really like my sman 3 now that the valve issues are resolved.
    oopps

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettgetsmwet04 View Post
    i dont like to listen to the olds guys opionion on tools at my work, im 28, they think i waste money on all my nice highly accurate tools. but whats funny is im 30-40% more productive and have a far less call back ratio, and make more money, so as far as a old timer calling digital guages clown gauges says to me, im old and set in my ways, he prolly still uses a simpson 260 meter as well.

u either learn to change or get left in the dust, im gonna take advantage of everything that will help me do my job better and make me more valuable.
    Lets me make one thing clear, my friend called Digi Cool Clown Gauges....not Testo or SMAN.

FYI I had TIF's first ever digitals when you were in diapers.

Have a little more respect for your senior fellow tradesmen. Most of us teach the classes you benefit from. And be advised that most senior guys have digitals.

Post Likes
    Lets me make one thing clear, my friend called Digi Cool Clown Gauges....not Testo or SMAN.

FYI I had TIF's first ever digitals when you were in diapers.

Have a little more respect for your senior fellow tradesmen. Most of us teach the classes you benefit from. And be advised that most senior guys have digitals.
    Not around here, they don't.

Around here, most guys either don't care enough about their trade to invest in their future in the trade.

Either that or they feel that they are so close to retirement that investing in the gauges is not worth their money.

At 37, I am the first guy at my company who invested in digital gauges. Well, I was 34 when I made that investment.

I am having a hard time convincing guys that they need a good thermometer, let alone dropping the cash on digital manifold gauges.

Gets frustrating, banging your head off of the same wall over and over and over again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Not around here, they don't.

Around here, most guys either don't care enough about their trade to invest in their future in the trade.

Either that or they feel that they are so close to retirement that investing in the gauges is not worth their money.

At 37, I am the first guy at my company who invested in digital gauges. Well, I was 34 when I made that investment.

I am having a hard time convincing guys that they need a good thermometer, let alone dropping the cash on digital manifold gauges.

Gets frustrating, banging your head off of the same wall over and over and over again.
    Can you speak for EVERY senior member of this forum?

Or just the ones who are hard headed and won't change.

Post Likes
    I don't know an older tech who will even pay attention to anything new. They all say it's junk ... Get an old timer to consider SH or SC ... LMAO! ... U old timers on this forum that care about that stuff get respect from me lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    I don't know an older tech who will even pay attention to anything new. They all say it's junk ... Get an old timer to consider SH or SC ... LMAO! ... U old timers on this forum that care about that stuff get respect from me lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    This has been mostly my experience as well.

I have been seeing a SLOW turn-around, but it is a hard fight.

Post Likes
    Can you speak for EVERY senior member of this forum?

Or just the ones who are hard headed and won't change.
    Didn't claim to speak for senior members of this forum.

The techs that frequent this forum are a different breed, IMO. We are the ones who WANT to be the best at what we do.

Post Likes
    Didn't claim to speak for senior members of this forum.

The techs that frequent this forum are a different breed, IMO. We are the ones who WANT to be the best at what we do.
    Well I can proudly point out that RSES and ACCA heave a very strong influence on keeping the local HVAC comunity current with the latest industry technology.

My RSES chapter are a bunch of senior guys who understand the the value of keeping current.

I am still behind on combustion testing so my next purchase is going to be a Com test Kit. but I don't know if it's testo or Bacherach I am going with. Still need some education on the that before ican make an informed decision.

Post Likes
    Well I can proudly point out that RSES and ACCA heave a very strong influence on keeping the local HVAC comunity current with the latest industry technology.

My RSES chapter are a bunch of senior guys who understand the the value of keeping current.

I am still behind on combustion testing so my next purchase is going to be a Com test Kit. but I don't know if it's testo or Bacherach I am going with. Still need some education on the that before ican make an informed decision.
    Now lets figure out how to get the younger guys involved.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    lololololololololololol..I hope you meant that the way I took it!

Post Likes
    I come on here everyday to find interesting stuff. I have learned so many things here and there, this site gave me a new interest in my job and all of the quality guys on here make me want to do better.

Post Likes
    Testo has it half figured out, they make cool looking tools. Young people are also fairly good at assessing product quality, and very good at gathering consumer feedback before making a purchase. When/ if someone makes a good looking quality product young, competent techs buy it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I come on here everyday to find interesting stuff. I have learned so many things here and there, this site gave me a new interest in my job and all of the quality guys on here make me want to do better.
    The answer lies before you.

Younger guys don't want to go to meetings or technical seminars. We typically don't have the time to do so, what with jobs and kids and home improvement projects and trying to keep a marriage working between all of the above.

Give me a place where I can go and talk shop with like-minded individuals, any time, day or night. A place where I can bring a problem, toss it out and get a half-dozen ideas within a few hours.

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

Guys, welcome to RSES version 2.0, the WWW version. I see 'webinars' and other multi-media forms of educational material being presented here and it is awesome.

You want to get the younger guys involved? Put it on their smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, or whatever eWidget that comes out next.

Wait.... Weren't we talking gauges? Sorry for the hijack. I just needed to get that out.

If you don't buy digi-cools, you're a loser... JOKING!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AccurateHT View Post
    Testo has it half figured out, they make cool looking tools. Young people are also fairly good at assessing product quality, and very good at gathering consumer feedback before making a purchase. When/ if someone makes a good looking quality product young, competent techs buy it.
    When "they" focus how things "look" on the box or glossy ad we are doomed. I believe this is why something like a SMAN3 comes with two ATC1's which hardly even clamps a 3/8 line vs one ATC1 and one ATC1R. That would look goofy in a shiny ad or on the box but would make all the sense out in the field or a 557/570 that has a micron gauge that really isn't more then another line on the list of features.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes

Younger guys don't want to go to meetings or technical seminars. We typically don't have the time to do so, what with jobs and kids and home improvement projects and trying to keep a marriage working between all of the above.

Give me a place where I can go and talk shop with like-minded individuals, any time, day or night. A place where I can bring a problem, toss it out and get a half-dozen ideas within a few hours.

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

Guys, welcome to RSES version 2.0, the WWW version. I see 'webinars' and other multi-media forms of educational material being presented here and it is awesome.

You want to get the younger guys involved? Put it on their smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, or whatever eWidget that comes out next.

Wait.... Weren't we talking gauges? Sorry for the hijack. I just needed to get that out.

Exactly the truth, life is so fast paced these days, if I can read a few posts then keep my kids out of the fridge, stove, toilet, cabinets and a casket, then read a few more its a good day! I would have never found this site if it weren't for my iPhone, I rarely use a computer any more, hell I pay all my bills with it, find the next job with it, there handy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    When "they" focus how things "look" on the box or glossy ad we are doomed.
    I can understand the sentiment, but Steve Jobs proved otherwise. The "look" catches the eye, the function proves its worth, and the quality sustains all.

In our industry accurate, dependable tools are as important as our knowledge base. The two are inextricable. If we want an industry of competent professionals each tech must be enthusiastic about building an arsenal of awesome tools to implement their awesome knowledge. Tool manufacturers must produce to the highest achievable standards. Just like Apple.

Post Likes
    What are you guys considering old timer? 5,10,20 years exp?

I just receive my Ak900 my first digital.
    I'm exited.
    I'm always learning
    I guess I'm an old timer.

Post Likes

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

gimme a break....you younguns' ain't any busier than us older guys. And we find time for RSES and mfg training.

I may not have small kids but i do have grand kids i run to different appointments.

You don't got to seminars because you don't place it high on your priority list. I and other senior members do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in